• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Competition pistol "build"

mzvarner

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2013
Spokane, WA
So I started shooting USPSA and 3 gun this year. I just ran my carry glock 19. I have really gotten the bug and picked up a G34. I was planning on putting a storm lake barrel in it, but when I started researching it seemed like people switch barrels to shoot lead. I thought it was a match grade barrel. will my accuracy improve or are they meant for shooting lead?

I would recommend skipping the SL barrel for now unless you plan on shooting a lot of lead bullets. I saw the biggest gains in my scores by getting a better trigger in the gun. I bought my G34 used but the previous owner had installed a Glockworx trigger in it and it's awesome.

Also, a lot of dry fire practice, movement drills, reload drills, and practicing draws will go a long way to help you improve.

In full disclosure you can take my opinion with a grain of salt as I don't play pistol action games all that often and certainly not at a high level. I'm more of a bullseye guy, but I'll offer my thoughts anyways as I may be able to offer some insight.

Storm lake barrels are "match grade drop in" barrels. I'm almost certain they will be built to tighter tolerances than the factory barrel, but that doesn't mean too much for your individual accuracy. Your accuracy will be more dependent on how "that barrel" fits "your slide". Accuracy may or may not improve with any drop in.

Not sure if accuracy is you're ultimate goal or if you just want a new barrel? Storm Lake makes a good barrel if you just want to replace the factory unit. If you're looking for premier accuracy skip the drop in barrels all together and get a fitted barrel. With that said, there are other areas I would look to improve before I even touched the barrel such as the trigger, sights, slide to frame fit, etc.

Personally, I'm not a fan of super accurate, tight tolerances for action type shooting games. I lean more towards looser tolerances for ultimate reliability. In action shooting most of your accuracy or lack there of is dependent on the shooter rather than the equipment, imo.

I was not going to replace the barrel until next season (if I replace at all). If I replace I want the most accurate barrel I can get. Accuracy is the goal if I replace and it sounds like I need a fitted barrel for accuracy. Kind of sounds like the drop in barrels are made for shooting lead.

I have done the "$.25 trigger job" to both my glocks (19 and 34). I think it makes for a smoother pull, but does not decrease the weight or take up. I think the take up/reset is the biggest issue. If I could shorten those in the trigger I would be happy.

I do practice dry fire a few times a week and get out to the range a few times a month.

I plan to put Dawson fiber optic sights on it as well.

Personally, I'm not a fan of super accurate, tight tolerances for action type shooting games. I lean more towards looser tolerances for ultimate reliability. In action shooting most of your accuracy or lack there of is dependent on the shooter rather than the equipment, imo.

I think this is a good point that I over looked as well. I have had a lot of issues with reloads lately so having a "flexible" barrel makes a lot of since to me...good point.

Don't replace the barrel. If you want to shoot lead then shoot bayou bullets. Theyre $250 shipped for 3700 and safe to shoot in a 34, ive shot over 10k through my barrel. Get some dawsons and get the ghost "rocket" connector (you have to fit it slightly, you need a dremmel or just a file). It will take away all over travel and shorten reset and make a huge difference over the .25cent job. If you want the gun to run reliably all the time I'd keep the modifications mild. Start changing barrels, springs, guide rods and etc you start seeing issues and have to go back to oem. Also I'd just keep the gun production legal and just shoot 3gun with it the same way except for an extended mag, so that you aren't swapping parts on and off for each match.

From someone who shoots a Glock 34 in competition, both 3 gun and USPSA, don't worry about the barrel.

The major modifications that you should take care of are adding a good set of sights and a new trigger. Go with the ZEV/Glockworx Fulcrum trigger kit.

Some CR Speed mag pouches and Taran Tactical basepads and you'll be good to go.

I started load development and I am very happy with the accuracy of the stock barrel so I'm just going to stick with it. The stock sights are awful so a set of Dawsons is on the way. I did stipple the frame tho because it gets hot up here in the summer. I almost dropped my gun this year because my hands were so sweaty. I plan on competing in limited next season.

Take a smaller caliber bore brush and wrap (copper) charbroil around it. Adjust thickness for a snug fit in bore. Half a dozen passes will remove a large portion of the lead. DO NOT USE THE STAINLESS CHARBROIL!

^^^Good move...get a good set of sights, a better trigger and spend your $ on ammo, practice and shooting matches. Doubtful you're out shooting your stock barrel at this stage of the game:) You can waste a ton of money trying to upgrade your multi-gun firearms and equipment if you're not careful.