• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Competition pistol opinions

Re: Competition pistol opinions

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Glock45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I'm NOT being a smartass here, I'm really not. But what is the reason to shoot a 2k gun? In equally competant hands(Sevigny, Leatham, Miculek, etc.) what is the advantage of the 2011 platform firearms vs. the "duty type gun"? what mechanically allows these(2011, 1911, single-action auto) firearms to be superior?

I think to us mere mortals that do not have sponsorship, it doesn't really matter.

</div></div>
I'm a big 1911 guy so I might be jaded, but the trigger is light years better, the grip angle for me is better,(I'm not everyone) there is insanely more custom parts/options for this type of firearms. I think for us mere mortals these slight advantages can give us a place or two in a local match over someone shooting a glock, XP, M&P, etc. I do think you hit the nail right on the head when you point out that Jerry Miculek can smoke us all with a revolver... the top level guys are so good that they don't need the little gadgets.

I would also argue that the #1 thing a shooter can do to improve their match scores is reload. You can roll your own ammo for better accuracy, less recoil, and a lot less money. The first two benefits combined with the third which means more practice ammo for the same money spent. That will make you a better shooter hands down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aggiesig</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> the top level guys are so good that they don't need the little gadgets.

</div></div>

Every "top level guy" I know runs a pistol that has had every part worked over or improved.

I'm not syaing they couldn't smoke the average competitor if given a stock gun, but they might not smoke another "top level guy".

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with getting the best gear you can for any shooting discipline. There is also absolutely NOTHING wrong with running what you have. The difference is in your motive. If you want to win at practical pistol it will cost you a lot. If you want the satisfaction of improving yourself as a shooter, shoot whatever you like to shoot-no arguments over gear necessary.

This is what I shoot in "Limited" Runs smooth as can be. It was my everyday carry gun until switching out the parts and upgrading as I felt fit.

33vmg6a.jpg

24zj8tt.jpg

1zfhgn9.jpg

18opvq.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aggiesig</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> the top level guys are so good that they don't need the little gadgets.

</div></div>

Every "top level guy" I know runs a pistol that has had every part worked over or improved.

I'm not syaing they couldn't smoke the average competitor if given a stock gun, but they might not smoke another "top level guy".

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with getting the best gear you can for any shooting discipline. There is also absolutely NOTHING wrong with running what you have. The difference is in your motive. If you want to win at practical pistol it will cost you a lot. If you want the satisfaction of improving yourself as a shooter, shoot whatever you like to shoot-no arguments over gear necessary.</div></div>

I agree with this whole heartedly. This thread has really backed up my opinion on the matter.

My reasoning for starting this thread is sooo multi faceted. Another facet is about truly learning the art of whatever you are planning seriously undertaking. I know in my heart that I need to start mith a slightly modded Glock, and work my way up. If I, personally decide I need an STI, I want to feel deep down that I earned it, and know how to drive it. I shot 308 for 4 years before switching to 260. And my rifle has undergone many changes since the brown santa delivered it from GAP. I shot a modded R700 before that. I hate the douchebag that shows up with bling, and can't run it for shit.

Nice pics of all the cool guns too!
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aggiesig</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> the top level guys are so good that they don't need the little gadgets.

</div></div>

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with getting the best gear you can for any shooting discipline. There is also absolutely NOTHING wrong with running what you have. The difference is in your motive. If you want to win at practical pistol it will cost you a lot. If you want the satisfaction of improving yourself as a shooter, shoot whatever you like to shoot-no arguments over gear necessary. </div></div>

I think you and I are on the same page, we just say things differently. The proof of this concept is when Ernest Langdon swapped from shooting Berettas to Sigs. He was beating 1911 guys, with 2 different platforms. He also probably shoots 100,000 rounds a year. I also heard a rumor at some point that Doug Koenig gets pallets of special loads developed by himself that Hornady makes for him as part of their sponsorship package. It must be nice to have several hundred thousand rounds as beneficial to your gun/discipline as your best handloads delivered to you by a manufacturer
smile.gif
Keep the pics and conversation coming!

STRANGEDAYS

I really dig the custom M&P how do you like the trigger stippling? I've always preferred smooth triggers but I can see the benefits on both sides of that argument.

[/quote]
There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with getting the best gear you can for any shooting discipline. There is also absolutely NOTHING wrong with running what you have. The difference is in your motive. If you want to win at practical pistol it will cost you a lot. If you want the satisfaction of improving yourself as a shooter, shoot whatever you like to shoot-no arguments over gear necessary. [/quote]

^^^ This is very well stated! I've enjoyed this thread and glad it has remained informative vs the pissing matches some can become. I feel a lot of experience and time has been shared on this thread by many. AWESOME!!!!
smile.gif

-G45

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aggiesig</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aggiesig</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> the top level guys are so good that they don't need the little gadgets.

</div></div>

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with getting the best gear you can for any shooting discipline. There is also absolutely NOTHING wrong with running what you have. The difference is in your motive. If you want to win at practical pistol it will cost you a lot. If you want the satisfaction of improving yourself as a shooter, shoot whatever you like to shoot-no arguments over gear necessary. </div></div>

I think you and I are on the same page, we just say things differently. The proof of this concept is when Ernest Langdon swapped from shooting Berettas to Sigs. He was beating 1911 guys, with 2 different platforms. He also probably shoots 100,000 rounds a year. I also heard a rumor at some point that Doug Koenig gets pallets of special loads developed by himself that Hornady makes for him as part of their sponsorship package. It must be nice to have several hundred thousand rounds as beneficial to your gun/discipline as your best handloads delivered to you by a manufacturer
smile.gif
Keep the pics and conversation coming!

STRANGEDAYS

I really dig the custom M&P how do you like the trigger stippling? I've always preferred smooth triggers but I can see the benefits on both sides of that argument. </div></div>
I know lots of people who like smooth triggers and those who don't so I also see the benefits of both. I however like the texture on the trigger. I love the feel of all the stippling on the gun also and I know some don't. One of the great things about building guns like these is there is so much people can do to fit their own personal taste. Now I only wish my parts were as cheap as some of the Glock stuff
smile.gif

one advantage you have over the glock is if you goofed up stippling your backstrap you could just pop it off and pop on another one!

I love the M&P's and I think that might be the most customized one I've ever seen!

I'm competin in a local pistol match with a NAMBU soon, just fer shits and giggles

As you can see there are a lot of different choices when it come to pistols. For a pistol to start with I would get a Glock34 in 9mm. This is a good basic gun to start with and the ammo is cheap. If you have the money to spend then I would go with an STI or SV hi-cap gun. I myself currently run a Para Ordnance P-18 in 9mm. The factory mags hold about 17 rounds and with the extended basepads I can get at least 21 rounds in them.

I also have used a 1911 in 9mm and a beretta 92 Elite II. I also like this pistol.

CZ.JPG

</div></div>

</div></div>

Aggie, you are up in the night...the exact opposite of your statement is the reality.

By definition there is not a top level guy in the world who does not extract every last bit of potential performance from their gear. Regardless if Jerry or Ernie shoot a production platform weapon, the last thing they are is stock.....Ernie Langdon Speedbump Trigger, Miculek Signature Revolver Grips, on and on....

To the OP....Like everything else in the shooting games there are several different tools that can be up to the task. I am in the camp that it is a little easier to shoot the 2011 well rather than the Glock....however specifically to 3Gun/Tac matches the Glock(and other striker fired guns) offers some very strong advantages. Namely when you have to abandon a pistol, the gun either has to be on safe or completely empty.

With a 1911/2011 platform gun there is some risk of the safety being knocked off in the abandonment box so you either must take extra time to unload or take extra time in your placement of the gun. With the striker fired guns as soon as your finger is out of the trigger guard it is by definition on safe and can be abandoned rather vigorously without unloading or apprehension that the safety could be knocked off.

YMMV

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smokshwn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aggiesig</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> the top level guys are so good that they don't need the little gadgets.

</div></div>

</div></div>

Aggie, you are up in the night...the exact opposite of your statement is the reality.

By definition there is not a top level guy in the world who does not extract every last bit of potential performance from their gear. Regardless if Jerry or Ernie shoot a production platform weapon, the last thing they are is stock.....Ernie Langdon Speedbump Trigger, Miculek Signature Revolver Grips, on and on....

To the OP....Like everything else in the shooting games there are several different tools that can be up to the task. I am in the camp that it is a little easier to shoot the 2011 well rather than the Glock....however specifically to 3Gun/Tac matches the Glock(and other striker fired guns) offers some very strong advantages. Namely when you have to abandon a pistol, the gun either has to be on safe or completely empty.

With a 1911/2011 platform gun there is some risk of the safety being knocked off in the abandonment box so you either must take extra time to unload or take extra time in your placement of the gun. With the striker fired guns as soon as your finger is out of the trigger guard it is by definition on safe and can be abandoned rather vigorously without unloading or apprehension that the safety could be knocked off.

YMMV

</div></div>

1st off I never said because they didn't <span style="font-weight: bold">need</span> every little thing didn't mean they don't <span style="font-weight: bold">have</span> every little thing. In fact most sponsored shooters have 3 or 4 identical guns. One that is designated as a practice firearm, a competition firearm, and then 1 or 2 that are identically fitted as the competitive firearm for parts. In the words of an unnamed sponsored shooter I used to carpool to matches with "If you don't want to win bad enough to cheat you don't want to win bad enough" He went as far as to use different loads, he would have one load that was just enough juice to make his gun function, which happened to be about a power factor of 115, and another load that was pushing the ceiling of most logical shooters reloads. He would stack his mags to put loads that made power factor where he would reload, and after he finished the stage so people who would pick up his mags for him or find his "unload and show clear" round that he unloaded would keep his rounds out to test them in their own gun because his gun sounded so weak during the stage. They would get an insane 200pf boom from his unused 38 super rounds.

BTW
This shooter was paid to go to matches by STI, and if you handed him an incomplete scoresheet to sign after a stage, he would not only sign it but fill in other information to his benefit as well. Ask me how I know...

I agree with you, all the big names have every possible advantage stacked in their favor. My point is: any GM class USPSA shooter will smoke an A class shooter (my highest rank) if I was shooting the most whizzbang thing I could afford and they were shooting a glock 35 in 40 S&W out of the box.

I say so, because I've watched it happen
smile.gif

Also if you look at the details most of the gainfully employed shooters in this discipline are using heavier guns that have compound spring recoil systems to reduce recoil, where the top end guys have their technique perfected to a point where their guns are milled and lightened as much as possible, with a single heavy spring. They are physically dealing with the recoil and using lighter guns to transition between targets quicker.

Talk about a different league!

I am really liking this thread, keep it the comments, thoughts, and pictures coming!

Glock45 Actually I was thinking glock and writing STI. I did mean the Bore axis on the glock would cause more muzzle flip than the STI. Guess I was thinking one thing, writing another. As far as muzzle flip I think the Wilson beavertail causes your hand to sit lower than the Brown, which in effect causes more flip. Myself and most of the people I have built USPSA guns for prefer the Browns and even those are cut up as high as possible to get your arm as close to the line of the bore as possible. Mis-wrote on my part, standing corrected, no offense taken.

SVI 2011. It is the end-all be-all pistol. I have 35,000+ through mine and runs like a raped-ape on steroids. Fast, accurate, never misses a beat. Sure, I suppose a glock could keep up with it with $1000+ in mods, but in the end, you still have tupperwear pistol.

If you want to save some cash and a 10 round mag will not hurt you, Kimber 1911.

Since we're way off on a tangent, my 3 cents as a USPSA Open GM/Limited M. Granted, I'm not competing much any longer and I'm not Chris Tilley or Max Jr or JJ or Todd or... Just a serious hobbyist that has won a few state titles and top-10 Area match finishes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aggiesig</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smokshwn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aggiesig</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> the top level guys are so good that they don't need the little gadgets.

</div></div>

</div></div>

K2: I've never had it happen but I've only been competing in 3gun for two years. Could it happen? I suppose. Would I take the time to drop the mag and rack the slide (even with a slide racker)? No way if the clock is still running. That's .5 seconds.

YMMV

</div></div>

1st off I never said because they didn't <span style="font-weight: bold">need</span> every little thing didn't mean they don't <span style="font-weight: bold">have</span> every little thing. In fact most sponsored shooters have 3 or 4 identical guns. One that is designated as a practice firearm, a competition firearm, and then 1 or 2 that are identically fitted as the competitive firearm for parts. In the words of an unnamed sponsored shooter I used to carpool to matches with "If you don't want to win bad enough to cheat you don't want to win bad enough" He went as far as to use different loads, he would have one load that was just enough juice to make his gun function, which happened to be about a power factor of 115, and another load that was pushing the ceiling of most logical shooters reloads. He would stack his mags to put loads that made power factor where he would reload, and after he finished the stage so people who would pick up his mags for him or find his "unload and show clear" round that he unloaded would keep his rounds out to test them in their own gun because his gun sounded so weak during the stage. They would get an insane 200pf boom from his unused 38 super rounds.

K2: I don't doubt your account. This makes me sick and pisses me off though. There's a karma factor in life. It reminds me of watching a good Limited shooter (M class) I think at Nationals in Bend intentionally run over an RO. He intentionally did this by backing up, looking for the RO as he did it. Ran into him, knocked him down, demanded a re-shoot (he had tagged a no shoot or something), and subsequentially got DQ'd. The Air Force team, myself, and a few others witnessed it first hand. The guy arbitrated it and got re-instated despite all of our testimony. Really poor form, imo.

BTW
This shooter was paid to go to matches by STI, and if you handed him an incomplete scoresheet to sign after a stage, he would not only sign it but fill in other information to his benefit as well. Ask me how I know...

K2: I'm still a big supporter of USPSA -- I think it's a great sport. I do believe that having pros in a sport where there really isn't any money drives all sorts of dysfunctional behavior. Winning vs. losing at a major match means alot to the guys that are trying to get more sponsorship and build their resume. It's too bad. Definitely double standards slanted toward the "pros" in the sports vs. the people that actually pay most of the bills.
Not that it's an excuse. The PGA players are some of the most ethical sportsmen anywhere. It's the ethos of their sport and the outcry is intense if they ever bend the rules let alone outright cheat. The irony is there's millions of dollars on the line in the PGA especially when compared to IPSC/USPSA.

I agree with you, all the big names have every possible advantage stacked in their favor. My point is: any GM class USPSA shooter will smoke an A class shooter (my highest rank) if I was shooting the most whizzbang thing I could afford and they were shooting a glock 35 in 40 S&W out of the box.

I say so, because I've watched it happen
smile.gif

K2: I agree with the comments above. It's not luck or pre-disposition -- it's hard work that makes them so much better. Are you willing to devote your life, dry fire pretty much every day (at least for your foundational years) and/or go to the range multiple times per week shooting literally thousands of rounds per week? That's the secret, so to speak. Have you ever talked to Chris or Max or Travis or Eric G as to what their training schedule is like? It is planned, coached, thoughtful, devotion and hard work. When I was competing seriously, I was training with some damn good GMs -- even they are amazed at the hard work the current cream of the crop have put in over the years.

Also if you look at the details most of the gainfully employed shooters in this discipline are using heavier guns that have compound spring recoil systems to reduce recoil, where the top end guys have their technique perfected to a point where their guns are milled and lightened as much as possible, with a single heavy spring. They are physically dealing with the recoil and using lighter guns to transition between targets quicker.

K2: generally agree once again. I like light and quick for the transition speed. A few top guys use 6" slides in Limited but the reciprocating mass is typically lightened. The original SV IMMs were maybe an exception. They transmitted so much violent recoil energy directly back into my forearms that I developed tennis elbow for a year. I copied Max Jr's more sedate set up and the problems went away. Lot's of subtle tricks in the sport for sure that many have obsessed over. I give major props to many of the top guys in the sport that are very willing to share "what works for them". Specifically I've witnessed this from Max, Chris, Robbie, Todd, Henning, RonAvery, and many others.

Final Thoughts: to the original poster. As a hardcore 2011 guy, I certainly love that platform or other comparable ones, e.g., Tanfoglio. But, you really need to decide on your application and goals. Glocks and XDs and Sigs and ... can all be very serviceable competition guns. Just ask Dave Sevigny.

Talk about a different league!

I am really liking this thread, keep it the comments, thoughts, and pictures coming! </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
24zj8tt.jpg

</div></div>

Jesus Christ, that's awful. That trigger's got more STDs than Madonna. Please tell me you didn't pay for that.