• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Competition Pistol thread

Honky

Tennessee Squire
Minuteman
Mar 11, 2013
Kansas
Didn't see a thread dedicated to competition pistols…I can't be the only one here doing pistol matches.

82926413-0A48-4558-9211-616A6B9B02AB.jpeg

I primarily do USPSA/Steel Challenge in Carry Optics division. Using a Glock 34 Gen 5 which has a 3.25 MOA RMR, Overwatch trigger, and Dawson MOS sights but is otherwise stock. This is thing has been very dependable and performs well considering the price point.

What are you using to shoot comps with?

USPSA and IDPA carry optics
P-09 carry optics.jpg

USPSA Production and IDPA SSP (don't shoot either very much any more)
75BD.jpg

IDPA is the only place where you can have fun competing with a wheelgun
Model 64.jpg

They all look plain on the outside, but they're anything but stock on the inside.

Typically use a X5 for CO and for Production. Custom 1911's for single stack, and this year for Limited 10 since both nationals are back to back.

Do you have I.C.O.R.E. nearby?
There's one two hours away, it always conflicts with one of my regular USPSA matches, and there's maybe six cats in the entire show.

At least in IDPA I can have fun seeing how many semi auto shooters I can beat. I often finish in the top ten unless I have a stage train wreck like bad ammo or a botched reload.

I have a tuned S&W 627 PC and belt rig that I'll likely sell this year.........

Reactions: gigamortis
yea who has those matching competition meteorite race guns in 45 acp need good visual material for later please oh please ..or a sexy Cabot's in a slinky little number grrr lol

Spent my Independence Day shooting with my friends. If you haven't shot competitions before Steel Challenge is a low-threat way to start.

Agree. I've been shooting USPSA for two years now and just shot steel challenge for the first time last week.

It IS fun and not very complicated (almost no movement, no stage planning, no reloads on the clock).

I really can't understand the ego problems that keep so many away from competing.

Reactions: Alabusa
Agree. I've been shooting USPSA for two years now and just shot steel challenge for the first time last week.

It IS fun and not very complicated (almost no movement, no stage planning, no reloads on the clock).

I really can't understand the ego problems that keep so many away from competing.
Man, ain't that the truth! I've been shooting IPSC/USPSA since 1988, started clubs, been section coordinator in both Idaho and currently in Wyoming/Montana (GYS) and I've literally begged hundreds upon hundreds of folk to at least give it a try. My success rate probably hovers around 5% of those asked - and damn few of those stick around more than a few years.

Current ride:

IMG_1587.jpeg

Man, ain't that the truth! I've been shooting IPSC/USPSA since 1988, started clubs, been section coordinator in both Idaho and currently in Wyoming/Montana (GYS) and I've literally begged hundreds upon hundreds of folk to at least give it a try. My success rate probably hovers around 5% of those asked - and damn few of those stick around more than a few years.

Current ride:

1593978908471.png

Nice gat

Reactions: titandriver

Cause it's easy to believe that you're all that and a bag of chips if you never get tested <shrug>

I'm getting an RDS put on my carry gun shortly (M&P 9 w/ Apex barrel and trigger kit in it). Thinking I might shoot some CO with it for giggles - pick up a couple basepads for max capacity. My eyes were never great for iron sights, but now they're basically hovering at being able to focus at arms length, so it's just a matter of time... and it wouldn't be bad to put more mileage on the ol' carry gun anyway.

And now that I'm back in the land of frequent local matches, the Brazos Pro Sx might see daylight again, too!

Cause it's easy to believe that you're all that and a bag of chips if you never get tested <shrug>

I'm getting an RDS put on my carry gun shortly (M&P 9 w/ Apex barrel and trigger kit in it). Thinking I might shoot some CO with it for giggles - pick up a couple basepads for max capacity. My eyes were never great for iron sights, but now they're basically hovering at being able to focus at arms length, so it's just a matter of time... and it wouldn't be bad to put more mileage on the ol' carry gun anyway.

And now that I'm back in the land of frequent local matches, the Brazos Pro Sx might see daylight again, too!
Where are you living now Dave? Weren't you in CA for a while? Glad to see you're getting back into the game! Carry Optics is the bomb for us old wheezin' geezers!

I used to shoot a steel challenge every Tuesday when I lived in Ohio. Also used to shoot the ruger rimfire series, and GSSF matches. I miss that range and the ease of access to shooting them. Didn’t run any fancy, gen 4 G17.

I use a Glock 35 Gen 4 for USPSA Limited in local club matches. Only mods are TTI sights. I've been away from it a while due to concentrating on PRS style shooting, but pistol run n gun is always fun to me.

Many claim USPSA is a game not rooted in defensive shooting, but to do well, you better have some gun handling skills. It's a far cry from the stand still and shoot a target 5 feet from you routines of most handgun owners.

Last edited:
Where are you living now Dave? Weren't you in CA for a while? Glad to see you're getting back into the game! Carry Optics is the bomb for us old wheezin' geezers!

Yeah, I was in Santa Cruz for about six years. Worked out great for us financially, but Jesus, I will not go back to Commiefornia... LOL

Back in Austin, TX, now!

I'm a little concerned I'll like Poverty Open... then I have to buy 9mm dies, and all the stuff to set it up on the 1050... and then start loading handgun ammo again... And then argue with myself about whether to convert my SP-01 Shadow Target to CO, or buy something different... LOL

How do you like that thing? I'm really interested in it to replace my 34 in Carry Optics. What trigger is in it?

Current ride:

View attachment 7366926

USPSA trains all of the weapon handling skills you need to be successful in defensive shooting. The things besides gun handling...you should probably be doing a FoF-based training course for that. The only people I've ever heard decrying competitions for their tactical inapplicability are those that lack both shooting ability and tactical knowledge.
I use a Glock 35 Gen 4 for USPSA Limited in local club matches. Only mods are TTI sights. I've been away from it a while due to concentrating on PRS style shooting, but pistol run n gun is always fun to me.

Many claim USPSA is a game not rooted in defensive shooting, but to do well, you better have some gun handling skills. It's a far cry from the stand still and shoot a target 5 feet from you routines of most handgun owners.

I'm a little concerned I'll like Poverty Open... then I have to buy 9mm dies, and all the stuff to set it up on the 1050... and then start loading handgun ammo again... And then argue with myself about whether to convert my SP-01 Shadow Target to CO, or buy something different... LOL

1593986520662.png

Reactions: rezrocket
USPSA trains all of the weapon handling skills you need to be successful in defensive shooting. The things besides gun handling...you should probably be doing a FoF-based training course for that. The only people I've ever heard decrying competitions for their tactical inapplicability are those that lack both shooting ability and tactical knowledge.

It also induces stress into your shooting in a way that even timed drills can't. Only FoF (or getting shot at for real) is more stressful.

It also induces stress into your shooting in a way that even timed drills can't. Only FoF (or getting shot at for real) is more stressful.

That is a very good point and probably why so many shy away from it. Having people watch you, judge you, and doing it on the clock is a lot of psychological pressure.

Reactions: Campguy308
How do you like that thing? I'm really interested in it to replace my 34 in Carry Optics. What trigger is in it?
Overwatch Precision trigger - just under two pounds in my beater. Shot a Bruce Gray Team Gun (P320) in CO before snagging the Q5-SF. Would not go back to the Sig!

Overwatch Precision trigger - just under two pounds in my beater. Shot a Bruce Gray Team Gun (P320) in CO before snagging the Q5-SF. Would not go back to the Sig!

Nice, Overwatch is what I have in my Glock as well. Did not know they made a trigger for the Q5. Flat triggers are a must for me.

I believe the Overwatch currently only fits the steel frame pistol - guess they're working on the plastic grip trigger but have not released one yet.

Having people watch you, judge you, and doing it on the clock is a lot of psychological pressure.

The funny thing is that no one in the squad gives a shit if you bomb a stage or if you're a noob that takes 3X what everyone else takes and come out with 5 mikes.

The funny thing is that no one in the squad gives a shit if you bomb a stage or if you're a noob that takes 3X what everyone else takes and come out with 5 mikes.
A LOT of truth right there! Hard to make the new guys believe it though!

I always felt it was more of a fear thing. Afraid of looking like a complete newb or coming in dead last. None of the guys I got started into the seedy/ money pit world of competition shooting had any kind of ego to get in the way.
One thing I told all the guys I talked into shooting steel challenge, 2gun or 3gun was that the worst part was showing up. Once they tried it, they were hooked and even said that they didn't know why they were afraid and didn't start sooner.

Forgot to add that I switched to the Delta Point Pro from the RMR. The DPP is waaaayyyyy better at everything except being drop-the-gun-optic-first-on-concrete proof. I'll be getting my 43X milled for the RMR soon so still putting it to good use.

Attachments

• 6E861339-4B4C-4A1B-9E62-8356E80343AF.jpeg
    6E861339-4B4C-4A1B-9E62-8356E80343AF.jpeg
    461.3 KB · Views: 60
Reactions: black max

You're right. Still hard to make that "everyone is looking at me" feeling go away, especially the first time you show up.

Nice. I don't really see anyone shooting revolver. I ought to take my Blackhawk out to Steel Challenge one day lol
There's an old guy that shot an old Webly with 45acp moonclips. He would outshoot most of us week after week. He wore that gun out and shoots a S&W 929 as well as a Glock 41 MOS in carry optic now. I was givinghim a bad time last week about the Glock, his revolver times were better!

Forgot to add that I switched to the Delta Point Pro from the RMR. The DPP is waaaayyyyy better at everything except being drop-the-gun-optic-first-on-concrete proof. I'll be getting my 43X milled for the RMR soon so still putting it to good use.

I'm running an RMR on the P-09. Plan is to get an SRO, put it on the 09, send the P-07 to get milled, put the RMR on it.

I'm running an RMR on the P-09. Plan is to get an SRO, put it on the 09, send the P-07 to get milled, put the RMR on it.

I was looking at the SRO as well, but the Leupold military price was just too good to pass up.

Reactions: 308pirate
Only local club to me shoots IDPA, but should be opening some fun shoots where I can shoot my limited gun, which I must prefer

Shot a Glock with a dot for a long time, recently built out a Zev OZ9 to "step up my game" it's sweet, but has a lot of teething issues. Had it running pretty well and the last match was a complete disaster. Seems to actually be extractor related, but that same slide runs all day on an OEM or P80 frame

I've bounced around pistols a bit. I really wish I would have jumped right into a 2011. Currently run an Atlas Custom and PT Honcho
View attachment 7367143

I saw these a few weeks ago and they look amazing. I like the fact you can get the different barrels to shoot multiple division. I’m keeping an eye to see when they run another sale to get one. Have you had any issues with yours? What magazines do you run?