• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Compound Hunting Bow Mathews vs Bowtech vs Hoyt

Re: Compound Hunting Bow Mathews vs Bowtech vs Hoyt

I reccommend you go to your local archery shop and shoot them all. Its all personal preference so shoot them all and see how they feel and make your decision off that.

P.S. I love the Z7 haha

I shoot a lefty pse x-force. Its a short little bastard, probably 6" brace height, and there's not much of a valley from full-draw to going off. I got a shorter bow because i have a nasty habit of getting my stands in tight places for more cover.

Anyway, definitely got to a good pro shop not the big box stores. Because, if you need any work done on that bow, the small shops will have guys in there who know what they are doing and will usually do the work for the cost of parts if not in warranty. That alone, is well worth it. Besides, it's nice to support the local shops on something like that.

A lot of good info here. All I can say is I agree with the guys that say a local pro shop. I went through this last year when looking for a new bow. My local pro shop is great, I pretty much grew up there. The owner earns my business. I shot everything I could get my hands on, and settled on a Hoyt Maxxis 31. Hoyt doesn't put up the biggest IBO speed numbers, but I've never had a properly tuned Hoyt that didn't shoot over it's IBO. Make sure the guy setting up your bow is knowledeable, and good at what he does. That keeps me going back to my local shop, even though I can get bows slightly cheaper elsewhere. The owner is a former national champion a couple times over, and trained at least 2 other national champs. I'm pretty sure he knows what he's doing when he tunes bows. I'm a little spoiled here, I have the N.F.A.A headquarters and the olympic head coach right here in town.

I just ordered a Z7 Monday. I went to a small semi local shop that has been in business a pretty long time. I shot at least one model from all the big names. I think any of them would have served me well. The Z7 just felt right for me. In todays bow market I do not think you can really go wrong with any of them as long as it feels good to YOU.

I upgraded from a Parker Hunter Mag that has to be 7-8 years old. All of them were a significant upgrade. I will be keeping old reliable as a backup, and maybe set it up for fishing.

I run a mathews rezon 6.5 and love it

I've been shooting for 13 years now, started with a recurve and worked up from there... I've shot a good selection of bows and what it comes down to, is comfort... Unfortunately for me, I am pretty limited on my bow selection on account of my 32" draw... My first Bowtech was a 2002 Pro 38, loved it! I currently shoot a 2007 Bowtech Commander with a 32" draw, 60lbs and get 318fps (hunting bow) for target, I'm set up in a 2011 Elite Tour, 32" Draw, 60lbs and not yet chrony'd... Love them both. The Elite is glass smooth and super light weight...

You have got to shoot them side by side to make a good comparison. Mathews and Bow tech both make top quality bows.

Had a Bowtech and sold it, been shooting a Mathews Solo Cam for the past 2 years now and i love it, 60lbs, 26" draw, with a 3 pin sight, whisker biscuit, and soon an octane stabilizer. Very accurate, arrows fly nice and flat. Overall Matthews makes great bows and couldn't be happier.

I've been hunting with Hoyt for years, currently on my 3rd one (katera). Probably the best engineered bows out there. One of these days I'll fork out the cash for one of the newer all carbon bows.

Bought my first last year, shot about 15 bows, bought a Bowtech from Sportsmens Warehouse.Love it, dropped it from a 15' stand last fall, never hurt it a bit.

My Mathews LX isn't exactly late model but I still love it. I've been eyeing the New MR8. I like the brace height and overall design/specs.

In bow leagues, I'd see allot of Bowtechs and Mathews, with Hoyts up next in quantity. You can follow the score boards, in the end it's more the archer than the bow. There is no single best.

I have a awesome Hurricane XG-1 Magnum I'd part with :p

Both Bowtech and Mathews have gotten better with their laminated limbs. Before that they were pieces of fiberglass directly from Gordon Glass. OK, but certainly not as strong as laminated.

Mathews for many years now, I have tried the others but was always judging the rest by my Mathews. So everytime I strayed I ended back with a Mathews and wondered why I ever listened to anyone about a better bow.

Just go shoot them and decide for yourself. If a pro shop wont let you test them out then he prob doesnt want to sell one bad enough.

They are all good, anyone who tells you other wise is blowing smoke. What you need to do is shoot all three and pick the one that feels the best.