• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any Mathews V3 owners out there

Thereaper1313

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2020
Trying to get back into the game. Grew up shooting competitions with a recurve, grew into a Bear compound, then into a Mathews SQ2 when they first came out. Sold off my stuff when I got married. Now I'm looking into the game again. Not looking for something that'll be up and running this fall, but I'd like to get it put together by spring turkey. Starting to accumulate parts, and wow have bows improved.
Mathews new V3 27" caught my eye. Played with it in the store and think it's going to be the keeper. Any real world experience with the v3? No Hoyt or Bowtech fan boys posting hate.lol

29 is as short as I will go. The string angle is not right for me below that. I have shot about every brand there is and they are all about the same except for grip and shelf angles. Anything with a square shelf is a no go. My thumb puts pressure on the bottom of the shelf so it takes a bit of conservation to compensate for that.
Best thing to do is find a shop with a range and shoot a sixty at a five spot. Then try another. You'll know if you want to drop the coin.
Good advice without saying get a XXXX.

Reactions: Thereaper1313
Been shooting a Triax the last few years. It’s as rock solid as they come, very pleased.

Wanting to upgrade to a V3 or Atlas soon. Depending on your draw length I would go longer than 27” OP

How long is your draw?

I still shoot 34"+ bows at 29.5". The little bows just put the peep way too far from your eye.

Check out xpedition. Better cam system, easier to tune.

I hate tuning Matthews with the top hats. Gotta tear down the whole bow to correct cam lean. The xpedition cam you just +/- a half twist from the yoke cable to correct it.

However, if you need to have support at your local shop then you're kinda stuck with what they sell and service.
I have my own press, arrow saw, vises, etc. I tune myself and treat it like reloading ammo.

Archery talk is the place to go for learning.

How long is your draw?

I still shoot 34"+ bows at 29.5". The little bows just put the peep way too far from your eye.

Check out xpedition. Better cam system, easier to tune.

I hate tuning Matthews with the top hats. Gotta tear down the whole bow to correct cam lean. The xpedition cam you just +/- a half twist from the yoke cable to correct it.

However, if you need to have support at your local shop then you're kinda stuck with what they sell and service.
I have my own press, arrow saw, vises, etc. I tune myself and treat it like reloading ammo.

Archery talk is the place to go for learning.
Last bow I had a 28" draw. I am worried the string angle would possibly cause issues with knock pinch. No real life experience myself but I've heard those extreme angles will cause it.

Grew up going to a local shop. When I was a kid owners use to let me grab broken arrows from his range, if they were just bent at the tip he'd cut them down and re glue inserts for free. Great deal for a kid that shot bolt sized arrows

We are PSE these days my last Matthews was an Ultra 2. Fast fast bow but loud and very finicky. They do make a smooth easily tuned bow these days. I still love to hear that shhhwaaack every year early season.

I currently shoot a 2020 VXR 31.5. the VXR and the V3 have 31" options. VXR being 31.5 and V3 being 31. That said, I also have a PSE drive 3B, that is 28" ATA. I have a 30" draw, no issues with short bows. TBH, I don't think the Matthews was worth the extra $500 over that PSE. One bow that stands out to me, is that Hoyt Torrex. I think it is definitely worth a look. Obsession has impressed me with their bows. It all comes down to your feel. Hit up some pro shops, test fire everything you can. You cant beat hands on experience, and everyone is different.

I'm taking everyones advise and going to try shooting a few brands before settling on a Mathews. I'm definitely interested in shooting one of those Xpedition bows. I'm not apposed to other brands especially if theyre a small company putting quality above quantity.
@remmynikon.308
How do you like the peep bekng farther from your eye on your 28" pse? I heard the angle makes it a bit awkward. I'll have to find a short bow with a peep installed to find out myself.

I'm taking everyones advise and going to try shooting a few brands before settling on a Mathews. I'm definitely interested in shooting one of those Xpedition bows. I'm not apposed to other brands especially if theyre a small company putting quality above quantity.
@remmynikon.308
How do you like the peep bekng farther from your eye on your 28" pse? I heard the angle makes it a bit awkward. I'll have to find a short bow with a peep installed to find out myself.
It doesn't bother me. If its an issue, just go to a bigger peep.

Reactions: Thereaper1313
I had the predecessor to the V3, (Vertix) pretty close to the current model and as others have said its a pain to tune and the string angle is wrong for me. I just got the Elite Enkore. 33" axel puts the string angle just right and I can shoot it much better. It has just a little more noise that my Vertix did but is negligible.

I’ve had the bigger one since April. My last bow was a Bass Pro PSE that left a lot to be desired. Yes, it was a 300+ bow, but it was a bitch to tune and it would not hold tight groups. I messed with it for two years, and was reborn with the V3.

I’m flinging a dozen 500gr arrows into a baseball at 50 yards. At 80 yards I’m in 8”. To me the V3 is the preformance of a Ferrari with Rolls Royce style. It is top heavy, but a reverse stabilizer on the bottom balanced it right out. My solids were about 2” off my field points at 30 yards, and I had them hitting the same mark in about ten shots. It tuned like nothing.

My elk hunt last week on September on the Western Slope, and I am absolutely ready. I’d Like to shoot at 20 yards, but if all I get is a shot at 60 I will take it with confidence. soo stoked I can think of little else…
35695025-4A10-44B3-AC24-55A18788A3CC.jpeg

I’ve had the bigger one since April. My last bow was a Bass Pro PSE that left a lot to be desired. Yes, it was a 300+ bow, but it was a bitch to tune and it would not hold tight groups. I messed with it for two years, and was reborn with the V3.

I’m flinging a dozen 500gr arrows into a baseball at 50 yards. At 80 yards I’m in 8”. To me the V3 is the preformance of a Ferrari with Rolls Royce style. It is top heavy, but a reverse stabilizer on the bottom balanced it right out. My solids were about 2” off my field points at 30 yards, and I had them hitting the same mark in about ten shots. It tuned like nothing.

My elk hunt last week on September on the Western Slope, and I am absolutely ready. I’d Like to shoot at 20 yards, but if all I get is a shot at 60 I will take it with confidence. soo stoked I can think of little else…
View attachment 7689717
Mathews makes some of the most beautiful bows no one can argue that. How do you like that Mathews quiver? Haven't seen one in person but it looks like it squeaks? I always used the alpine soft lok quivers but I like the look of that lo pro mathews too

I bought a 27” for ground blind and stand hunting. It’s obviously not as forgiving as a longer bow would be, but I have shot decent enough to take a deer or turkey out to 40 yds. Practice out to 65 but wouldn’t feel comfortable taking game at that range.

Go to a bow shop with different brands pull them all back and pick one that feels best to you then buy it. And I bet it it won’t be any you are looking at. I’ve had all brands find one that fits and feels right.

Reactions: 458win
Mathews makes some of the most beautiful bows no one can argue that. How do you like that Mathews quiver? Haven't seen one in person but it looks like it squeaks? I always used the alpine soft lok quivers but I like the look of that lo pro mathews too
I hate bow quivers, and avoid them whenever possible. I never use them for deer/turkey. In 2019 chasing elk I found there is just no other way than a bow quiver when you are on the stalk and are climbing over/under/around deadfall for hours with your bow in your hand. I am used to it now.

I bought the $160 arrow web w/quick release, and it makes zero noise. The bow itself is dead quiet, but so are almost any of them shooting arrows heavy enough to pass through a shoulder. What would you think would squeak? There is almost nothing to it.

View attachment 7689717
Couldnt agree more. Love mine I have the 31.5 as well. Quiver doesnt make any noise unless you remove it. I just leave mine on when im in the stand. If you do remove it it snaps out and back in but isnt to noisy when doing so. Basically just a single click.

Go to a bow shop with different brands pull them all back and pick one that feels best to you then buy it. And I bet it it won’t be any you are looking at. I’ve had all brands find one that fits and feels right.
I can never resist playing with bows whenever I go to a pro shop; I'm sure I'm not alone. From drawing alone Mathews are my favorite, that's why I'd like to find a place to shoot a few other brands.
I hate bow quivers, and avoid them whenever possible. I never use them for deer/turkey. In 2019 chasing elk I found there is just no other way than a bow quiver when you are on the stalk and are climbing over/under/around deadfall for hours with your bow in your hand. I am used to it now.

I bought the $160 arrow web w/quick release, and it makes zero noise. The bow itself is dead quiet, but so are almost any of them shooting arrows heavy enough to pass through a shoulder. What would you think would squeak? There is almost nothing to it.
Never had a problem with quivers. I've just had a few that twist to lock and that plastic on plastic makes a creaky/squeaky noise. Maybe Mathews uses a different plastic, but figured if there was an issue someone would know exactly what I'm talking about. Not big into spending $150 if they haven't worked out the kinks $40 quivers have

i've got the V3 27 now and shot the VXr 27 last year. they're amazing bows. i'm fortunate enough to shoot any bow i desire and the past two years Mathews has came out on top for me. Elite is ALWAYS a contender each year. Fuck a hoyt and a blowtech.

I am 6'2" with a 30" DL. The short ATA bows I am not a fan of. Like others have said the peep is further away which I could never get real comfortable with. All I have been shooting lately is target so the 38" ATA bow is really the only one getting shot (Elite Rezult). If I get back into hunting I keep eyeballing the Elite Rezult 36 or Remedy as a hunting bow.

Found a small archery shop that had a Xpedition x33 for testing. Felt good in the hand, super light weight. Felt pretty similar to Mathews. I can't really see spending $250 over a V3. I was impressed, but more with the speed of that arrow than with the actual draw and smoothness.

I would like to try out Obsessions Defcon m2 7
if you get your hands on one of those, id like to hear what you think