• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Comps in the SC area?

Nooch13

In Hoc Signo Vinces
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2017
Ocala, FL
I’m looking for competitions in the SC area. I’d prefer to stay within a 4-5 hour drive of the Myrtle Beach area...any suggestions?

Not a whole lot of stuff in SC. I'm in Beaufort, SC. Closest I've found is Wheaton arms. Think it's by Anderson. Im trying to shoot one of their matches here soon. There is a place in NC called Frontline defense that has some as well.

Woodys in NC has a match end of Febuary.

Clinton house holds a few matches every year.

I just looked up woodys, looks like you have to be a member there...I hate when places do that!

Just looked up frontline, they have a March 10th match. It’s a 4 hour drive but it looks like a good range. Thanks guys!

I’ve contacted SCOTG which advertises a 1000yd range but I fear they have closed. Their last Facebook post was about not selling any 2018 memberships

Where are y’all located in SC?

I’m in harleyville right outside of Charleston.

Maltese has some PRS style matches every now and then. They just had one back in December.

It's in Yemassee, SC. It's like 30 min from me. They have a little bit of everything. Clays, pistol range, and an 800 yard rifle range.

They have a website you can message them through. Last time I had checked they didn't have any planned yet. But give him a shout. Maybe if enough of us ask about it they'll schedule more. I'd be in heaven if they'd have one every month lol

Reactions: Nooch13
The Clinton House Plantation has a 1000 yard range, and I heard they have an occasional match, but I haven't confirmed.

Frontline Defense is hosting a match the weekend of February 23rd. Sounds like a good one that I might try to make. What's the weather like down here in February?... I just moved down from NY this past fall.

The Clinton House Plantation has a 1000 yard range, and I heard they have an occasional match, but I haven't confirmed.
The Clinton house is with Wheaton arms. According to their site their 2018 schedule is:
April, 27 2018 Zero day
April, 28 2018 Match day

May, 25 2018 Zero day
May, 26 2018 Match day

September, 7 2018 Zero day
September, 8 2018 Match day

I'm planning on shooting the match there in April.

Frontline Defense is hosting a match the weekend of February 23rd. Sounds like a good one that I might try to make. What's the weather like down here in February?... I just moved down from NY this past fall.
It's about the same as now but the days will start getting a little warmer. You'll start getting the random 70+ degree days.

It’s SC.

No one knows what the weather will be the following day. It will be insanely hot or extremely cold.

I had talked to them at one point before I moved here. If I’m remembering properly, they had a fairly strict rifle criteria similar to f class, I do remember there were no brakes allowed. I’ll reach out again to confirm

I attended the Wheaton Arms Overwatch match. Nice people, but the event was very disorganized. I was very irritated about that. As new shooters attending the match I was surprised that no maps were provided. We were told that ROs would be taken to the stages (very spread out). Five minutes later we were in an empty parking lot. We had to search for 30min. To find our stage. There were also areas where roads crossed live fire. So organization was key.

Stages were challenging, and only made difficult by my lack of shooting skill.

I would attend again, but I would not stay at the Clinton house properties. The had no one on premises when we arrived, and when we did get in touch with the owner we were told to stay in the wrong bunkhouse. Finally several days after the match I received a call from the Clinton house. Apparently someone had damaged or stole a decoration from the bunkhouse. I told my shooting partner that I would never stay there again. He agreed.

Bottom line, good people, no organization, terrible accommodations. If you go pay attention, and stay in the hotel down the road.
Well that kinda sucks. Especially since that's the main match I was looking at. Maybe they've had enough time to get it together.

I forgot to mention, that there are a couple to matches in Georgia. There is a Guardian match being put on near the Al/GA line. There's also a match outside of Augusta. I don't recall the name of the clubs for either of those.

Don't get me wrong, David. They put on a fun match, but if it's your first time going to one you need to know not to stay at the bunkhouse, you need to know that to "Win" you need to place in each of the three matches during the year. You are also much better off if you shoot with someone who's been before. The match is very spread out. Areas are designated as a Danger area by caution tape. However to get to one of the stages you had to cross a road on a live fire stage. They Posted a lookout down there. So they were safe, but for a first timer, it was quite intimidating.

All of that said, I will go back this year, and I will plan to attend each of the three shoots. You are welcome to ride around the match with me.

FYI, due to a stupid mistake on my part (tightening the hand guard on my rifle) I was never in any danger of doing well at the shoot, so this is not sour grapes. I was so frustrated with the lack of information leading up to the shoot, and my piss poor performance the day of that I nearly left. Had it not been for my shooting partner I would have.

You will have a wonderful opportunity to meet good people, and shoot in situations you might never have thought about.

FYI, I'm over in Summerville, SC. Feel free to send me a PM if you are ever over this way. I will also extend an invitation to attend the local F-Class match. Next month it's an 800 Yd. match. Find out more at https://charlestonlongrange.com.

Thanks,
I'll definitely take you up on that. I plan on shooting their April match if all goes well. And I'd be willing to give the F-class a shot one of these days. Are muzzle brakes allowed or no?

No muzzle devices/suppressors in F-Class.

I'm not the best shooter, and my schedule is often crazy. So, I use the F-Class matches to tune ammo and practice reading wind. You might find that your very much enjoy it.

Last edited:
No muzzle devices/suppressors in F-Class.

I'm not the best shooter, and my schedule is often crazy. So, I use the F-Class matches to tune ammo and practice reading wind. You might find that your very much enjoy it.
Don’t they have a weight restriction too? My rig weighs a ton...

They do have weight restrictions, for F-TR (.223 or .308 only) you have to be 18lbs or under (including bipod). The F-Open class is not as restrictive on weight. I think they are at 22 lb. If I were over that weight I would offer to DQ myself but still shoot for fun.

They do have weight restrictions, for F-TR (.223 or .308 only) you have to be 18lbs or under (including bipod). The F-Open class is not as restrictive on weight. I think they are at 22 lb. If I were over that weight I would offer to DQ myself but still shoot for fun.

Now that, I would do...I need to weigh my rifle. It’s a rem 700 .300 win mag in an XLR element chassis with a 29” Hart heavy barrel topped with a Sig Tango 6, 5-30 scope. In other words, heavy!

Now that, I would do...I need to weigh my rifle. It’s a rem 700 .300 win mag in an XLR element chassis with a 29” Hart heavy barrel topped with a Sig Tango 6, 5-30 scope. In other words, heavy!

Since you are a 300 WM you'ed already be classified as F-Open. I'm sure it's a heavy gun, but 22 lbs is a huge weight. I'll bet you make that weight.

I wouldn't get caught up on that. Just show up and shoot. FYI first timers shoot free.

Since you are a 300 WM you'ed already be classified as F-Open. I'm sure it's a heavy gun, but 22 lbs is a huge weight. I'll bet you make that weight.

I wouldn't get caught up on that. Just show up and shoot. FYI first timers shoot free.

I’m in....I love to compete...

Don't get me wrong, David. They put on a fun match, but if it's your first time going to one you need to know not to stay at the bunkhouse, you need to know that to "Win" you need to place in each of the three matches during the year. You are also much better off if you shoot with someone who's been before. The match is very spread out. Areas are designated as a Danger area by caution tape. However to get to one of the stages you had to cross a road on a live fire stage. They Posted a lookout down there. So they were safe, but for a first timer, it was quite intimidating.

All of that said, I will go back this year, and I will plan to attend each of the three shoots. You are welcome to ride around the match with me.

FYI, due to a stupid mistake on my part (tightening the hand guard on my rifle) I was never in any danger of doing well at the shoot, so this is not sour grapes. I was so frustrated with the lack of information leading up to the shoot, and my piss poor performance the day of that I nearly left. Had it not been for my shooting partner I would have.

You will have a wonderful opportunity to meet good people, and shoot in situations you might never have thought about.

FYI, I'm over in Summerville, SC. Feel free to send me a PM if you are ever over this way. I will also extend an invitation to attend the local F-Class match. Next month it's an 800 Yd. match. Find out more at https://charlestonlongrange.com.

Thanks,

You aren’t far from me at all. My mom and the in laws live in Summerville. I am actually from Summerville.

Ill be putting on The Carolina Tactical Match in April. This is a civilian version of the Gastonia Sniper Conference. This will be the first time we have adapted it for a civilian competition.

Attachments

• CAROLINA TACT FLYER.jpg
    CAROLINA TACT FLYER.jpg
    777.9 KB · Views: 51
Reactions: gamecock525
Just heard about a small match in Chesterfield, SC on March 3rd. Smaller course of fire. Only suggest 40 rounds. I signed up though. Figured it'd be a good one to break the ice with. I can get the details if anyone is interested.

Just heard about a small match in Chesterfield, SC on March 3rd. Smaller course of fire. Only suggest 40 rounds. I signed up though. Figured it'd be a good one to break the ice with. I can get the details if anyone is interested.

Where is this? I think there is a 500yd range up there somewhere.

What format?

Hello everyone. I'm in Blythewood.

The march 3rd match is at Told Resourse Management, it's a 500+ yard range in Chesterfield.

The Wheaton Arms matches are a little disorganized but are still a blast to shoot. The Clinton House a great place to shoot. Be patient and enjoy your squad. You'll make some good friends there.

The Maltese Arms matches are new, they have about 800 yards. These are new and they are still figuring things out. Still fun. Hell, any time spent behind the rifle is fun.

I'm new to shooting PRS style matches.

Another fun match is the Guardian Long Range matches.

Where is this? I think there is a 500yd range up there somewhere.

What format?

This is about 20mins from my house, very small, very laid back. Format is still being sorted out, but Richard Todd is a great guy that has offered his personal range in these events for those of us that want to shoot more than the 100yd range/deer hunting norm. Course of fire is always different, and doesn't follow normal PRS/NRL type format. Expect around 40 to 50rds to a match, but he also lets everyone run the course, try out the obstacles etc. beforehand, so a great place to go to practice for bigger events. A good mix of people show up, youth to older people, a good atmosphere.

This is about 20mins from my house, very small, very laid back. Format is still being sorted out, but Richard Todd is a great guy that has offered his personal range in these events for those of us that want to shoot more than the 100yd range/deer hunting norm. Course of fire is always different, and doesn't follow normal PRS/NRL type format. Expect around 40 to 50rds to a match, but he also lets everyone run the course, try out the obstacles etc. beforehand, so a great place to go to practice for bigger events. A good mix of people show up, youth to older people, a good atmosphere.
That's good to hear. Wasn't to sure what to expect.

You just missed the Bushnell match at The Clinton House. It was a great match, be on the lookout for it next year.