• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Conceal carry 1911

alan98

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2008
Pennsylvania
I was just out shooting my TRP and each time I'm impressed with how well it shoots. I ran it out to 60 yards on a B27 target and they were all center mass. I've never carried this concealed so I'm posting this for people who may carry a 1911 ccw. What holster have you found works well? I have a comp tac M-tac for my G23 that I like a lot.

Alan

I feel 1911's are heavy for my taste. If I did, I would try some leather rig or leather kydex combo rig.
Good luck. Lot to love about the TRP

I feel 1911's are heavy for my taste. If I did, I would try some leather rig or leather kydex combo rig.
Good luck. Lot to love about the TRP

I have an aluminum frame 9mm 1911 coming, and hope that this will make the weight reasonable. PerSecSystems.com is working on a AIWB holster that he says will be the best out there. They have been working on the design for several months, and are about to send out 50 samples for test and evaluation.

If this new holster is as good as I expect it will be, I will buy one. My 1911 on order will weigh 31 oz.

There are lots of high quality holsters. I prefer outside the pants because it is far more comfortable. I had to carry concealed for work for a very long time. The other thing to get is a very high quality belt. A cheap belt allows the pistol to flop around, a really good stiff one (double steerhide, or thick horsehide) keeps the pistol from flopping, and distributes weight better making it MUCH more comfortable (and especially reliable). Cheap belts that let the pistol move around screw up your draw stroke...the pistol should always be in the same place.

I make my own belts, but have seen some excellent horsehide belts for around $50. The difference a good belt makes will amaze you!

Galco summer comfort with my TRP. Also use an ares ranger belt. Your gonna need a good belt because 1911's do have a little more heft to them. It conceals almost better than my glock 19. You just know its there though.

A good holster (for me, this generally means a Milt Sparks VM2 or clone) worn IWB and a purpose-made gun belt (or something equally stiff and solid) will negate the weight of even an all-steel 1911. When the gun is tight to your body, you don't have any real issues. It's a loose gun that causes injuries to the sciatic nerve and other complications. Lighter is always better for comfort of carry, of course, but the TRP is the TRP and is a full-size, full weight 1911 (and a good one). If you want similar quality but lighter, look at a Dan Wesson Guardian.

I love my hybrid IWB from Old Faithful. God price and you can purchase a kit and mold your own.

I have an aluminum frame 9mm 1911 coming, and hope that this will make the weight reasonable. PerSecSystems.com is working on a AIWB holster that he says will be the best out there. They have been working on the design for several months, and are about to send out 50 samples for test and evaluation.

If this new holster is as good as I expect it will be, I will buy one. My 1911 on order will weigh 31 oz.

That is still a heavy gun, but a grab holster that fits well goes a long way. And determination to carry it is most important. Sometimes I just feel like a a 45 and I grab my HK45C, not exactly light weight compared to my shield, but thats what I want. If you want to rock that 1911, you will certainly do so.

I carry a Kimber Pro Tac in a Galco King Tuk. Awesome holster, and after the initial break in period, it rides more comfortably than any other holster I have used.

I prefer OWB and use the Alessi CQC/S for my 1911s and other pistols. It holds the pistol close to the body, is comfortable and quick to draw from.