• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Concealed Carry Revolver

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 8, 2019
USA
This is my current CCW. Depending on what I'm wearing it goes in the waist or a cargo pocket.

IMG_20190812_211815656.jpg
IMG_20190812_211659966.jpg

Lately I've been getting the itch for a revolver.

What do you recommend?

I have a J frame for when concealment has to be absolute. That's not often.

I can conceal a K frame well enough for any occasion short of a serious NPE. And a K frame gives me one more round and more importantly superior control.

An Ares Aegis belt makes the 30 ounces of an all-steel 3" K frame a non issue either IWB or OWB.

For speedloaders, I've tried them all and will use nothing but SL Variants or Jet Loaders.

Reactions: lash and 013
Yes the 5 shot snubnose is limmited in many ways. I do trust it more than .380 and some of the tiney 9mm . They do not feel comfortable in my hand.

The air weight is not for everyone and do not suggest it for a beginner.

It's just an option.

Yeah decisions decisions...
I forgot to mention I want it primarily for deep conceilment/pocket carry.

I'm thinking a J frames or LCR. Another option would be a Ruger lcp in a wallet holster but I think I prefer the revolver route.

The colt cobra is nice but a bit too big for what I want it.

A thin semi auto conceals far more easily than any revolver.
Debatable. Semi autos have rectangular grips and corners that print far more readily than the rounded contours of a revolver's grip, frame, and cylinder.

And if you make a semi auto handgun with a grip small enough to not print at all then it becomes even more difficult to shoot quickly than a snubby.

Reactions: lash and 013
Would be worth taking a look at a chiappa rhino 20DS, they shoot very smoothly and have a slightly narrower profile for carrying due to the flat sides on the cylinder.

Reactions: 013
Any thoughts on the Kimber revolvers with the semi-flattened cylinder? I luv my pre-lock Smiths, carry a P365 or LCP and don’t own anything Kimber but their take on a wheel gun looks like it brings something new to the table as far as cc revolver ergonomics are concerned. (fwiw interweb pic attached)

24A5C98E-CB83-4FBF-8C23-678654C3D913.jpeg

Last edited:
1565852189172.png
in 454 casull or
such a concealable piece as small as it is .

Last edited:
I’ve shot the Rhyno in .357 before. Shot really nice, but it’s big.
The kimber 6s has been on my radar, but the price is steep. Have not seen one in person, only online, but with Kimber’s quality control issues I’m hesitant.

Reactions: fanninland
Been carrying my kimber k6s for a couple years now. It’s alittle heavy but really like having the 6 rounds of 357.

Do change out the rubber grips for the wood or g10 really help reduce felt recoil

View attachment 7129996

642 air weight ct grip big dot front site
Slicked up trigger 2-3 lb.
I live in Florida, where shorts and a t-shirt are normal non-work clothes. The 642 Air weight is the most comfortable CCW I own. I have a slim 9mm that I like a lot, plus other options, but when summer’s here, the 642 makes the cut more than any other.

I can always peg the guys hauling a .45 or other large semi auto piece, but I challenge you to tag me while carrying.

Like most other things in this world, optimal CCW choices depend heavily upon your situation.

A 642 disappears in cargo shorts pocket. Suicide belly carry as well.
Middle of back also gone.

Many sub caliber pistols do the same but reliably becomes an issue.

To each his own comfort level.

Revolvers seldom fail.

Had a ruger ftf wwb once go figure and dont carry wwb.

Reactions: 013 and lash
I think I’m leaning towards a 442, but what I think I really want is a 340 or 340 PD (all with no internal lock)

The internal lock is extremely easy to remove or render it unable to accidentally lock the gun.

I've had various S&W wheelies with the lock and I always disable it. Before the lock plugs became available, I'd just remove the locking arm (aka the flag) and ground off the stud that engages and locks the hammer. That way the flag keeps its opening full, leaving one less place for crap to enter the gun but the lock will not work at all.

It's a storage device, not a safety, so there's no liability attached to getting rid of it if you shoot someone in self defense.

Reactions: 013 and lash
The Ruger LCR in .357 is a nice small light one that will drop in your pocket easily.
But only get the one with the original soft Hogue grips not the hard lasermax grips
Also don't get the .38 special one, only get the .357 model and then run what you want in it
(They do make a 9mm version also).

Well I've been battling in my mind between a 442 and a 340. I plan on packing .38 +p, so don't really need the .357, but I like the sights on the 340, and don't mind having the .357 option just in case. I could always pain the sights on the 442.

What do you guys think? Help me decide.

Anyone have experience with the S&W Model 19 Carry Comp from their Performance Center?

I have the Ruger LCR and the S&W 342 in .357; it's a great little J-frame and I replaced the front sight with XS Big Dot style. IF you don't like the Locker it is easy to remove. A couple of holster options; i prefer the Sariland ALS style.
DSCN3696 copy.JPG
DSCN3700 copy.JPG
DSCN3745 copy.JPG
DSCN3753 copy.JPG
DSCN3769 copy.JPG
DSCN3769 copy.JPG
DSCN3771 copy.JPG
DSCN3794 copy.JPG
IMG_2876 copy.jpg

Last edited:
I carry either a Glock 43 or a S&W 442 no lock ( that replaced my 1962 Colt Detective Special ) and a small custom 2 1/2" fixed blade

I have the Ruger LCR and the S&W 342 in .357; it's a great little J-frame and I replaced the front sight with XS Big Dot style. IF you don't like the Locker it is easy to remove. A couple of holster options; i prefer the Sariland ALS style.
View attachment 7132480View attachment 7132481View attachment 7132482View attachment 7132483View attachment 7132484View attachment 7132485View attachment 7132486View attachment 7132487View attachment 7132490

I LIKE ct and big dot tritium absolutly way to go.

340PD, goes everywhere I go and has for the last 15 years. Light enough I've forgotten I was carrying it more than a few times over the years. It's got brutal recoil so +P .38 GD snub ammo I find best. The .357 is too brutal even for carry IMO/E. STILL want the 329PD, the scandium .44mag., and just handled one, again, and it only feels better.

Custom shop also made an 8 shot .357 snub and a .45ACP snub as well and probably others over the years I don't know about. Some with SS cylinders, some with titanium. Both have their merits though I prefer titanium for carry (just don't use slow burning powder in heavy, high velocity rounds!). The Nightguard series looked like a good selection of scandium/SS revolvers but I like the PD's and the custom pieces myself.

I have a 686+ 6" no key with a phenomenal trigger but it's just too heavy and even if it were a couple inches shorter or even a snub I wouldn't want the weight vs. reloading times, etc. I have a G27 in a Milt Sparks VM2 I've carried forever too and despite having a G29 and a Smith 1006, both with VM2's, that G27 is just damn hard to beat. I have a G26 too but prefer the G27 for carry. I can't see replacing it with a revolver save that 329PD maybe.

Basically, for carry, I want a lightweight and powerful revolver to makeup for the limitations, otherwise I'd rather have a basic Glock.

J frame S&W or older Colt Cobra 2nd model. Never failed and I had to use them for undercover work.

Nice thing about the older guns is exactly opposite what people see as an "advantage" with all the small revolvers being sold today - not realizing it is not an advantage.

Weight.

Those scandium or light alloy guns may carry well on your belt but for shooting they will buzz your hands up.

Not a big deal if you never intend to practice with or shoot your gun but if you want to train with a two inch .38, perhaps with a defense load, steel has an advantage.

and........the older wheel guns are dirt cheap, basically hand fitted jewels, that can be found with nothing but night table wear just about everywhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: proftwo and 013
Those scandium or light alloy guns may carry well on your belt but for shooting they will buzz your hands up.

Not a big deal if you never intend to practice with or shoot your gun but if you want to train with a two inch .38, perhaps with a defense load, steel has an advantage.
I have 2 437's an shoot K's of 120gr +P cast reloads every year from both, but carry Underwood +P 100grs. The Underwood ammo recoils less an neither has been a recoil issue in a 200rd outing to date. When adrenaline starts flowing you will never notice the recoil, but will always revert to your lowest level of ability/training. One of the reasons in NY bystanders are cop shot more often, then the perps.

I have 2 437's an shoot K's of 120gr +P cast reloads every year from both, but carry Underwood +P 100grs. The Underwood ammo recoils less an neither has been a recoil issue in a 200rd outing to date. When adrenaline starts flowing you will never notice the recoil, but will always revert to your lowest level of ability/training. One of the reasons in NY bystanders are cop shot more often, then the perps.

Met more than one person, granted not gun people, with "Air Weight" S&Ws that say it hurts their hands when they shoot.

I always recommend revolvers to new/curious shooters but never recommend the "Air Weight" to them.

Revolvers are awesome.

No manual of arms other than "Press", "Press Again"

DA Operation/Triggers impose a certain safety factor.

They are not as scary with the phallic symbolism of a magazine being rammed home and the violent manipulation of a slide releasing and driving into battery.

Everyone knows the good guys carry revolvers.

Shooting the airweight is a bit rough at first . +P will spank the hand some I normally keep it to 20 rounds then finish with 30 of range ammo.

By that time the hand is tired.
Anything else you shoot will feel like a Cadillac.

The ct grips have a little I beam that cushions the backstrap and that function actually works.

Magnums used to rattle me, not anymore. Lol

I typically carry a SIG P365, 320 X-carry, or Para Ordnance P12. Though I've considered adding S&W 351PD in 22 mag with it's 11.2oz weight and 7 rounds capacity.

I shot 3 different revolvers today. A S&W bodyguard and two 642s. 1st time shooting snubnose.

5 shots each rapid fire from 7 yards. I got the hang of it on the last revolver. I like them.

Bodyguard on left, 642 #1 on the right.

IMG_20190819_143608829.jpg

642 #2

IMG_20190819_150422913.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Snuby642
I’ve decided on the 442.
Gonna look for some of those older revolvers as well.

Met more than one person, granted not gun people, with "Air Weight" S&Ws that say it hurts their hands when they shoot.

I'm no wimp, certainly skilled with handguns (especially revolvers), and I absolutely despise shooting my 637 with +P ammo. It still wears the hard rubber boot grips it came with and after 3 - 4 cylinders worth the web of my strong hand is cut and bleeding.

I need to get some grips that cover the backstrap and hang a bit lower below the frame.

Reactions: 013 and Snuby642
I'm no wimp, certainly skilled with handguns (especially revolvers), and I absolutely despise shooting my 637 with +P ammo. It still wears the hard rubber boot grips it came with and after 3 - 4 cylinders worth the web of my strong hand is cut and bleeding.

I need to get some grips that cover the backstrap and hang a bit lower below the frame.

Sell it and buy a steel replacement from days of yore.....