• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Concealed carry when hunting??

Absolutely. While I mainly archery hunt for big game, I also bird hunt, fish and backpack a lot. In all of these cases I carry concealed. Why wouldn't you?

My reasoning is several fold. 1. There are some shady ass people in the woods. 2. I typically have a bear/cougar tag when hunting for other game. Never know when you will need to take some quick, close quarters shots. 3. In case of a weapon malfunction. 4. I am not going to leave my pistol in the truck when I'm out hunting, in case it were broken into.

Why not, I always have my Smith J frame (642) in my pocket, I see to reason to leave it in the truck while hunting.

I've used it to dispatch wounded critters a time or two. Also a couple years ago I crawled up nose to nose with a rattler while trying to sneak up on an antelope. That little revolver was much more handier then trying to dispatch the snake with the rifle.

Also handy for gathering rabbits for the pot while hunting and fishing. While setting up camp and gathering wood and water, the rifle is normally in the gun case, the revolver is in my pocket. Not laying with the ruck.

Mine is always on the boat. I don't like it on my person while fishing, but it is always on the boat.

No, I open carry it, unless its raining as my coat happens to cover it, concealed doesn't make any sense to me when I already have a rifle visible. Hey guess what I'm armed. The pistol won't offend anyone that isn't offended by the rifle and its easiest to get to in the open on my hip.

Back when I Guided for big game I ALWAYS carried my Smith 696 in .44 Special. Dispatched quite a few wounded deer and elk with 250 gr Keith slugs over 7.5 of Unique.

I think it is a good idea. You never know when it will come in handy. Better to have it not need it than the other way around.

Plus One on this! Open and available for use. I usually carry my Glock 20 while hunting.

No, I open carry it, unless its raining as my coat happens to cover it, concealed doesn't make any sense to me when I already have a rifle visible. Hey guess what I'm armed. The pistol won't offend anyone that isn't offended by the rifle and its easiest to get to in the open on my hip.

I almost always carry my pistol concealed when in the field (or everyday carry too).

The only time I do not is when fishing on my boat during hot months. Then it stays in the glove compartment of the boat. I jump in often to cool off, and it does not ride well on wet swim trunks.

Open carry. S&W 686 357 mag. Never know what you'll run into. If the rifle is slung across your back the sidearm is readily accessible.

Open carry. S&W 686 357 mag. Never know what you'll run into. If the rifle is slung across your back the sidearm is readily accessible.

+1 About word for word my answer. GP100 with cast loads OC'd. Never know what you're going to run into out there.

Why not, I always have my Smith J frame (642) in my pocket, I see to reason to leave it in the truck while hunting.

I've used it to dispatch wounded critters a time or two. Also a couple years ago I crawled up nose to nose with a rattler while trying to sneak up on an antelope. That little revolver was much more handier then trying to dispatch the snake with the rifle.

Also handy for gathering rabbits for the pot while hunting and fishing. While setting up camp and gathering wood and water, the rifle is normally in the gun case, the revolver is in my pocket. Not laying with the ruck.

You don't bite their heads off? You should try, it's quieter and they are very low carb.

I carry all the time, everywhere, period. And snakes are one of the many reasons.

Carry a sidearm while hunting yes, carrying it concealed depends on the state regulations for concealed carry.

During winter months, while pig hunting, I sometimes carry inside my jacket. Especially if I'm trying to track one in thick brush. The jacket keeps both me and my pistol from getting beat up.

^^^ same as above, I open carry a model 28 S&W highway patrolman in 357. If the coat covers it no big because there is no permit needed to conceal carry while "actively engaged in hunting activity" This is in Colorado of course.

TITLE 18. CRIMINAL CODE
ARTICLE 12. OFFENSES RELATING TO FIREARMS AND WEAPONS
PART 2. PERMITS TO CARRY CONCEALED HANDGUNS

C.R.S. 18-12-204 (2012)

18-12-204. Permit contents - validity - carrying requirements

(3) (a) A person who may lawfully possess a handgun may carry a handgun under the following circumstances without obtaining a permit and the handgun shall not be considered concealed:

(I) The handgun is in the possession of a person who is in a private automobile or in some other private means of conveyance and who carries the handgun for a legal use, including self-defense; or

(II) The handgun is in the possession of a person who is legally engaged in hunting activities within the state.

LexisNexis® Custom Solution: Colorado Revised Statutes Research Tool

Last edited:
On a "split property" lease several years ago, the guy leasing the upper road decided to close the road for his hunt, leaving us without access to our part of the lease. No landowner in sight, and tempers flared. Cooler heads prevailed and all weapons were layed down while the discussion continued. All EXPOSED weapons, anyway. In the event a skinning knife had been pulled for emphasis, I was very happy to be caring in a concealed manner. Open carry is great for advertising you have a gun, and the mouth on the other side of the debate proudly layed down his rifle and his hogleg. Good reason for concealed that day.

Last year after a West Texas hunt, my buddy and I drove up on a white tail doe stuck in a 4' tall hogwire / barbed wire fence. Her leg was caught and we had to pry the wires apart with tools to release her. She couldn't stand, had obviously ruined her hip, and would not last long laying there. I put her down with my XD40. Quicker and probably more legal than grabbing the rifle on the side of the road.

On a "split property" lease several years ago, the guy leasing the upper road decided to close the road for his hunt, leaving us without access to our part of the lease. No landowner in sight, and tempers flared. Cooler heads prevailed and all weapons were layed down while the discussion continued. All EXPOSED weapons, anyway. In the event a skinning knife had been pulled for emphasis, I was very happy to be caring in a concealed manner. Open carry is great for advertising you have a gun, and the mouth on the other side of the debate proudly layed down his rifle and his hogleg. Good reason for concealed that day.

Last year after a West Texas hunt, my buddy and I drove up on a white tail doe stuck in a 4' tall hogwire / barbed wire fence. Her leg was caught and we had to pry the wires apart with tools to release her. She couldn't stand, had obviously ruined her hip, and would not last long laying there. I put her down with my XD40. Quicker and probably more legal than grabbing the rifle on the side of the road.

I'm surprised he laid down his sidearm. From my cold dead hands comes to mind. Or just not thinking about shooting your neighbor works too. :D

What escalated the argument to the point that firearms had to be discarded for safety's sake?

I open carry while in the field, mainly because if its cold out my clothing is bulky.

Im in the woods weekly and have my pistol daily. I usually open carry unless im coming straight from work and dont switch holsters. ..I conceal carry while bow hunting because its the law. I also conceal carry on a dove lease because theres many people I dont know. On our own property its open carry though. Used my sidearm a few times...mosty for snakes and a few for finishing off pigs. A lot easier to unload a few rounds with a pistol at sething that jumps up when you walk up to it then a rifle

Legal in Ga to carry during bow season with a CC permit.
I always carry during rifle season.