• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Concern about go gauge datum length

Wannashootit

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 3, 2010
    FL
    I have some concern about a .300 WSM go gauge datum length.
    I'm measuring with a comparator- YES, I know they are somewhat inaccurate (which is why they're called comparators)...

Normally, I don't measure the go gauges. Like reamers, I expect the geometry to be correct when buying them (most of what I have/buy is Dave Manson and don't have issues).

Just completed a build, in this case it was a lightweight hunting rifle for my son. He texted me that his fired brass datum length- with his comparator (LNL, like mine) is measuring 1.736.

I thought, crap- that's right at the edge of the SAAMI tolerance of 1.736.
    I'm pretty careful about trying to get go+ .001 when chambering, especially in this case because while he handloads- he needs the ability to shoot factory in the event he travels with it and needs to buy off-the-shelf.

Measured the go gauge- and it's 1.734 to the datum on the comparator. Minimum is 1.726- waaay off. Seems our comparators must be close- as that would be .002 over "go" gauge which makes sense. What doesn't make sense to me is that this gauge appears to be ground incorrectly?

I checked several other "go" gauges- .284 Win (same .420 datum) and some smaller .400 datums (.308, 6.5 Creed) and they all measured at or below minimum SAAMI spec. So again, I know the comparator isn't precise- but the "comparative" measurements of the gauges are leading me to believe this gauge may be defective.

So, I have two questions:
    First, SAAMI specs a min/max length to the datum, usually about .010 tolerance between them. I'm "assuming", minimum is what the go gauge should measure- with some tolerance to be longer- what is acceptable?

I'm only concerned in this case, because it appears we are very close to "no go" headspace. The new Norma brass is 1.728-1.730 on his comparator- so we're stretching this .006 -.008 thou. If he got a box of factory ammo on the small side, there would be a hell of a lot of stretching going on.
    Obviously- can't risk a case head separation.

He can size/bump accordingly down to 1.734-1.735 so as not to overwork the brass- but is my concern about (apparently) being so close to the upper bound legit?

PTG go gauge?

I always compare my go gauge to the brass I plan on using and set headspace accordingly.
    All mine are within 2-3 thou of the brass for them.
    I like to see approximately 2 thou stretch or less on new brass

Reactions: Threadcutter308
    No, it's DM- almost all are, including the ones I checked that were at the minimum end of SAAMI datum length.
    I know the .420 datum bushing for the comparator can't be off much as the .284 checked out correctly.

Like I said- it's obvious the brass can be sized for minimal shoulder bump once it's stretched to fit the chamber.
    My question is whether this is too close to "no go" headspace spec to be a concern.
    At some point, there would be too much stretch in the area of the casehead to be safe- and that's what "no go" means in theory...

Re read your post
    My two Mansons are at basically minimum spec

I actually make my own inserts for the Hornandy tool because the ones they make are often substantially off.

Unless your worried about maximum brass life the numbers you posted are fine, better than a few factory rifles I’ve checked

Well, I fucked up... no problem at all...
    Hornady states that the .420 comparator bushing is to be used with the .300 WSM.
    Doesn't mean the actual datum is supposed to be .420, apparently.

I hadn't checked the datum diameter- only the length- on the chamber print before.

It's NOT .420- it's 0.445

Jeezus...that would be why it was reading long.
    Clearly, "comparative" measurements are all that can be used with the standard bushing for this one.

Used to the more common ones (7mm Mag, .284 Win, .300 Win Mag) all having .420 datums that I forgot to actually check the print.
    At least I realized my stupid mistake in time....