• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Conover NC .22 Tactical Steel Challenge - FINAL 2013 Results Up!

No championship match this year. Slipped up on us and just didn't get the ball rolling soon enough. Maybe next year. There is scuttlebutt about a possible team match sometime this year but Steve will have final say on that one.

Sorry for the late reply.............had a couple guns to get completed this weekend and had to kinda sequester myself in the shop to get them done.

Nope. No "Championship" match this year. Time kinda slipped up on us and we simply had waaaaay too much going on to put the effort into it to secure sponsors, prizes, et al. It takes a lot of commitment and effort to put on a full blown match with prizes and we just did not have the time or manpower this year. We'll get going a little earlier next season and do something in mid 2014. August 10th match will be a regular match with stages similar to last month's.

Hope to see all the usual suspects there and new shooters as well.

SR

Oh yeah......On the Team match.........We have kicked around some discussion of having a two-man team match format for one of the future events. We haven't hammered out all the details as of yet but are considering doing a pick-your-partner-spot-as-you-go-score-all-you-can-combined-score type match in the future. We may run it as an after the match match, first.

On another topic: The CVRPC Club powers-that-be have voted to allow the grading contractor to continue his excavating through the end of the year. Word has it that the new parking area will be completed in February 2014. This is a huge dissapointment but it's the way it is. It it somehow cheaper for the club to take the long route ....so be it. So.......Please continue to bear with us for the remaining three matches in 2013. The club has agreed to be so graciously generous as to dump a load of "creek sand" in the immediate area behind the line to help with the mud issue. We indeed look forward to the new parking area in early 2014.

SR

I will be there this month and Branson is planning on attending as well. The Steven's should also be in attendance and am working on a few more locals to make the trip (maybe September).

Team match....very interesting concept. Sure, twist my arm to shoot more LR rimfire. :)

Another great match that reiterated my need to slow life down and practice more!!! The stages and distances for 22 lr make it 100% required to have your A game on or be ready to deal with a humbling score. Lots of very skilled shooters and one hell of a nice bunch of guys!!!!

All I can say is "Wow". With the stages getting harder and the scores still climbing each match! The competition has certainly taken things to another level this year. Congratulations to the winners. I don't think any of us would have imagined the bar being set this high when this match started 3 years ago. The difficulty and skill level continues to climb.

If there were a unsung hero award James Sigmon surely deserves it. Congrats on a smokin 3 stages run. I wish it would have helt together for the 4th stage.

I killed(-1pt) a LOT of Hostage and Bonus targets today, but as always had a great time!! Looking forward to September and hopefully a little less humidity. Congrats to Curtis for finally kicking in the door!! :)

If there were a unsung hero award James Sigmon surely deserves it. Congrats on a smokin 3 stages run. I wish it would have helt together for the 4th stage.

Completely agree! WE were on the last relay so I was not intent on his performance. On the drive home I phoned Steve and we did the match decompression. I had no idea he netted so high a score in 3 stages....but hey we have all been there. This has become a rite of passage to slingshot oneself into the winner's circle.

Yep alot of good shooting this weekend, young James, an Jay brid both had very good scores,
Steve set the bar high to start things off, an Joe an james on the last relay had me tasting my underwear, as i watch there last stage with spotting scope,
that was smart shooting joe, on the back nine,
as for beening in the zone Mr England is not, the gun is tuned, the ammo lot# is working, an the good shooters left open a very small window,
that the above combo fell into. to many great shooters at this match to think other wise

cant wait for chikn famous wings in october. not to sure about secert sauces

LMAO!! I was talking to Steve last night and told him,"That last relay got Gretel's attention...oh yes...she was watching with a wistful look."

Dude the god's smiled on me. The winds fell almost as if on cue exactly when I needed them to do so. As far as brilliant thinking on my part I will defer to the words of Nuke LeLeush, "That was beautiful, what'd I do."
So far I am having a good year. I am however being humble, in that each time I have a great performance, I am unsure whether I can do it again. I am just digging the best I know how and hoping in the end it is good enough for a spot near the top.

Chikn, hope the gods smile on you every match, you better belive i was watching only a fool would count it over, with you or any of the other shooters still on the line,
we are both having a good year an digging an driving as hard as we can. an to be were i am at in the points run like you,humble dont even come close.
the last stage when you pulled off bonus plate an shot a single to make sure of point of impact then go back to bonus for last shot, was what i was talking about.
BEAUTIFUL MAN BEAUTIFUL, by the way had to get more water from your truck after your last stage,cotton dont taste to good on a hot day. he he he

.22 Tactical Steel Challenge
Conover, NC
August 10, 2013 Match Recap

Our August match was held under partly sunny – but sometimes threatening skies with temps in the upper 80’s with swirling winds. The rain never came until after the match and the wind “died” for the shooters on the later relays. We had a total of 22 shooters that were mostly experienced TSC shooters. It was great to see Dave Branson back in action with the .22 and also good to have Ken Stevens and Lynne Bolt back at CVRPC again. We hope all of you folks become regulars here at CVRPC. Our parking expansion is taking shape nicely and we now have significantly more “room” at the 200 meter line.

Last month, C. England finished in 2nd place with a score of 58 – something that doesn’t happen very often. Usually scores in the high 50’s will place at the top of the heap. Mr. England has been the model of consistency this season and cranked off another 58 this month for the win. With this, he has positioned himself as the man to beat in the overall aggregate for “Shooter of the Year”. We have but two matches remaining to settle this among 3-4 mathematially potential winners. J. Lassiter has stepped up his game as well and fired another score in the 50’s with a solid – and very well played score of 56. Joe played strategy to perfection in taking the risky but rewarding shots when the conditions were right, and “layed up” for the lower but surer “single man” points when necessary. I have said for three years now that this competition is not just about accuracy but about choosing and adapting your strategy during the course of fire. England and Lassiter have seen the light………that and a great shooting lot # of Center-X!! S. Roe brought home 3rd place with a respectable but lacking score of 54. I’ll tell ya, it’s tough finishing third with a 54……..the bar continues to rise.

A notable mention goes out to James Sigmon this month. James is a very respectable and courteous young man and he and father Joe have been faithful regulars at the match since we started in 2010. Both continue to shoot better and better each match and are a great asset to the club and to this match. James had a great match with his Ruger 10-22 and was a threat for the win through three stages. James had a little difficulty getting “on” at Stage 4 but still fired his best ever score of 47 and a 4th place finish. Great shooting James! With performances like that you will be “in the money” real soon.

The match ran smooth and without a hitch thanks to all those who helped run the line and set targets. Thanks to everyone and see ya next month!

August 10, 2013 Match Results:

1. C. England Anschutz 58 1st
2. J. Lassiter Anschutz 56 2nd
3. S. Roe Anschutz 54 3rd
4. J. Sigmon Ruger 47
5. B. Franklin Anschutz 44
6. Jay Roe Anschutz 43 1st Jr.
7. B. Johnson Anschutz 40*
8. G. Houser Ruger 40
9. J. Roe Anschutz 39
10. R. Brown Martini 38
11. J. Abbott Ruger 36*
12. T. Josey CZ 36
13. D. Fruitt Ruger 36
14. K. Smith CZ 34
15. J. Sigmon Ruger 32
16. K. Meares CZ 31
17. K. Stevens CZ 28
18. T. McCloskey Win. 23
19. D. Branson CZ 20
20. J. Garcia Savage 19*
21. H. Spargo Savage 19
22. L. Bolt CZ 11

*Ties broken by Stage 4 score

Team Event:

Last edited:
I shouldn't tell you this... and I didn't advertise. When I made my run I had been up for over 24 hours. Just couldn't sleep the night before the match. I could barely form a cognitive thought by the time I came to the line. The one thing I remember about my relay was this, when I went to the next stage I had completely forgotten about what I had done just 10 minutes ago...I wasn't thinking about what I had done but I was concentrating on what was in front of me. It appears night shift can be a blessing and a curse.

I shouldn't tell you this... and I didn't advertise. When I made my run I had been up for over 24 hours. Just couldn't sleep the night before the match. I could barely form a cognitive thought by the time I came to the line. The one thing I remember about my relay was this, when I went to the next stage I had completely forgotten about what I had done just 10 minutes ago...I wasn't thinking about what I had done but I was concentrating on what was in front of me. It appears night shift can be a blessing and a curse.

2 more to go, then maybe we can all get some sleep, i know yours was work related, but this damm witch hunt is wearing me down, hollar if you come down to range

Heads up shooters, be ready for an few different set up,s
going to be fun, for september & october,

Glad you plan to be there Tom. I thought you and Branson were going to Wytheville. New stages are up. To say it is all different is an understatement.

.22 Tactical Steel Challenge
Conover, NC
September 14, 2013 Match Recap

Conditions couldn’t have been any better…….temperature wise anyway. The temps in the 70’s and the sunny skies were great but the swirling winds made the longer stages a challenge. Our headcount was down a bit at 17 shooters but those who were there were treated (my word) to 4 super tough stages and the scores reflected the difficulty. Last month a 58 took top spot but it “only” took a 43 this match. I say only with a grin as a 43 on this day was well earned and great shooting.

Stage 1 was a plain ‘ol “Standing” event with small targets and high risk (scorewise) situations for unsupported shots. Stage 2 saw a new set of “not high enough and not low enough” cable spools as the shooting prop. Stage 3 was our twice used “overwatch ramp” rotated 30*, and Stage 4 was Standing Supported from the “Stairwell” prop. Not a single shot fired was “steady”….just steady enough.

Jim Roe put together four consistent stages and took the top spot with a score of 43 from his 1903. Ronny Brown brought home second with a 42 fired from the Martini and S. Roe managed a 3rd place score of 41.

The October match will close out our season for 2013 and we will recognize our “Shooter of the Year” and Junior Shooter of the Year, respectively. As a small token of our appreciation to those that come out and shoot next month we will have free pizza for lunch.

The match ran smoothly aside from a target setting /scoring re-do….which will surely be a reminder to all RO’s and this MD to double check the stages prior to giving the ready command. As always, thanks to all those who helped run the line and set targets. Thanks to everyone and see ya next month!

September 14, 2013 Match Results:

1. J. Roe Anschutz 43 1st
2. R. Brown Martini 42 2nd
3. S. Roe Anschutz 41 3rd
4. J. Lassiter Anschutz 39
5. B. Franklin Anschutz 38
6. B. Johnson Anschutz 36
7. G. Houser Ruger 30*
8. Jay Roe Anschutz 30 1st Jr.
9. Js. Sigmon Ruger 27
10. T. Josey CZ 25
11. C. England Anschutz 22
12. J. Garcia CZ 21*
13. G. Northam Anschutz 21
14. T. McCloskey Winchester 18
15. K. Meares CZ 17
16. H. Spargo CZ 15
17. B. Howell Anschutz 14

Team Event: S. Roe x 2 82

Heads up shooters! This coming Saturday, October 12th, will be our final match of 2013.

We will be recognizing our "Shooter of the Year" aggregate winners and will also have free pizza for all who come out and enjoy the day with us.

Hope to see you there.

Thanks, SR

CVRPC .22 TSC Match Recap, October 12, 2013

Time flies when you’re having fun and the 2013 .22 Tactical Steel Challenge season is in the books. Today’s match was held under overcast skies with temps in the 60’s to low 70’s, little to no wind to mention, and a total of 20 shooters present. We had a lot to settle today with the top 4 positions in the year ending aggregate standings coming down to the last match of the year. We want to thank G. Austin and S. Weeber for coming up and shooting with us and hope you guys will become regulars next season. Also, it was good to see K. Stevens and L. Bolt again and thanks for bringing Jordan and Ryan as it is always good to see today’s young men competing in the shooting sports.

13 year old Jay Roe put together 4 solid stages today and proved he is not only just a top Junior shooter but a serious competitor for the overall win on any given Saturday. Jay drove his single shot Anschutz 1903 Jr. to an incredible score of 62x72 today for 2nd place overall and also solidly sealed his “2013 Junior Shooter of the Year” championship. This score is only a single point off the all time CVRPC .22 TSC record of 63x72. Folks this young man can shoot and is an incredible competitor and is the definition of focus and concentration when on the line. Congrats Jay on your 2nd place win and incredible score.

Jim Roe drove the same 1903 Jr. Anny to a score of 58 for the 3rd place money. Great shooting Jim and a 3rd place finish with a great score of 58 is a tough day indeed. This particular little 1903 Jr. is a phenomenal piece of German .22 know-how and has likely already paid for itself in cash and prizes won. Oh….and don’t think a single shot cannot be competitive at TSC as we have had 9 first place winners with single shots and many shooters placing in the money (1st-2nd-3rd) with various single shot rifles from Anchutz’s, 40X’s Martini’s, Vostok’s, and Winchester 52’s.

As mentioned earlier, our “Shooter of the Year” overall aggregate championship was coming down to the wire with only a few points separating 1st and 2nd place, and a mathematical possibility of 2nd through 4th places changing up depending on how the steel reacted. C. England had led the standings the past few months but did not yet have a mathematical lock on the win. S Roe put together four good stages and fired a 63 for the match win and enough points to take over the overall aggregate for the best five of eight matches. The aggregate champion has been decided at the last match in both 2012 and 2013.

We have had a great season this year with a total of 52 different shooters coming out and giving TSC a try. We’re most thankful for another competitive and safe season and we hope to continue to see the match grow in popularity. We added several new and challenging shooting positions/stages this year that the majority of shooters embraced and welcomed the challenge. We are planning some new things for 2014 and hope to see you on the line at Conover.

Special thanks go out to all that help each month with the mowing, range prep, and set up and tear down. See you in 2014!

Thanks,
Steve Roe

October 12, 2013 Match Results:

1. S. Roe Anschutz 63 1st
2. Jy. Roe Anschutz 62 2nd & 1st Jr.
3. Jm. Roe Anschutz 58 3rd
4. B. Johnson Anschutz 49
5. J. Lassiter Anschutz 47
6. T. Josey CZ 44
7. J. Sigmon Ruger 43
8. B. Franklin Anschutz 42*
9. Js. Sigmon Ruger 42
10. C. England Anschutz 36
11. K. Meares CZ 34*
12. G. Northam Anschutz 34
13. B. Howell Anschutz 32
14. K. Smith CZ 30
15. G. Austin Savage 27
16. R. Bolt NA 25
17. K. Stevens NA 24
18. H. Spargo Savage 23
19. J. Garcia Savage 22
20. S. Weeber NA 10

Team Event: B. Johnson & S. Roe 112

2013 .22 TSC “Shooter of the Year” Aggregate Standings (5 match avg)

1. S. Roe 55.20 pts
2. C. England 52.60 pts
3. J. Lassiter 50.00 pts
4. B. Johnson 46.40 pts
5. R. Brown 44.20 pts
6. J. Roe 43.40 pts
7. B. Franklin 43.20 pts
8. T. McCloskey 41.40 pts
9. J. Sigmon 40.80 pts
10. T. Josey 38.80 pts

Junior Champion: Jy. Roe 46.00 pts (4 match avg)

Congratulations TSC champion S. Roe. And Jr champion Jay Roe.
Also congratulations again to Jay for now being a member of the very elite 60+ club