• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Consequences of putting .311 down .308 bbl?

dbooksta

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2009
PA
I have a Shilen stainless barrel with a .308" 1:8" twist bore chambered in 7.62x39mm (yes, for subsonics). What would the consequences be of putting regular .311" 7.62x39mm ammo through the barrel?

My guesses are at least increased copper fouling in the leade and maybe decreased accuracy with the .311" bullets. Can any other bad things happen?

Re: Consequences of putting .311 down .308 bbl?

Most likely absolutely nothing. The Ruger mini 30 has been launching bullets of .310 and .311 diameter from hot surplus steel cased ammo for about the last 20 years out of a .308 diameter barrel with no problems. But that is just my opinion here is my disclaimer: always wear eye protection and personal protective equipment.

Re: Consequences of putting .311 down .308 bbl?

We have a SR Mauser with a Kreiger heavy barrel, 308 bore chambered for 7.62x39 and we have noticed one alarming thing. It'll shoot MOA or better with wolf ammo at 100yds! Other than that, no issues.