• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Considering a gutting hook or a knife with one. What are you using effectively.

Prebanpaul

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2009
Akron Ohio Summit
I watched a video online and I am going to start using this technique in the field. I have gutted in excess of 40 plus animals in my life. I will mostly be using this on whitetail deer 140-250 lbs. I am looking at gutting hooks. I also wanted a thin knife to go around the anus. So I usually buy higher quality stuff. I have two bench made skinning knives that I have used in the past. I looked at the bench made Steep Country and the Saddle Mountain. I was able to put them in my hand at Cabellas and decided I would not use them in the field. I came across a cheap knife, found it while looking for a good one. It is the Timberline 6200 zipline. It is exactly what I want. Just not well made. So back to the drawing board. Just wondering now what Gut hooks you have actually used. Thanks for the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jsmith410
For my field work I use a morakniv companion (see link below). I cut around the anus like you describe. Thin, light, razor sharp, durable as heck and cheap. Don't let the price fool you. I have many $100+ knives and this is my favorite all around one. If I lose or ruin one I won't be pissed about it at a whopping $12 each. Not full tang but I've yet to break one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004...kniv+knife&dpPl=1&dpID=316PYWNmv6L&ref=plSrch

I use the Alaska magnum hunter guthook from knives of Alaska. Works great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all your responses so far. I have looked at the Raptors, I am trying to keep it to one knife. With the Raptors, I might need more.

I started using a havalon a few seasons ago and I won’t go back to anything else. If I have a gut hook with me, I’ll use it. But otherwise, the Havalon does everything I need.

I looked at the bench made Steep Country and the Saddle Mountain. I was able to put them in my hand at Cabellas and decided I would not use them in the field.

Just curious, what made you decide this? I’ve been using a saddle mountain for the past few years and I love it.

When I grabbed the knife it just Felt like it could slip out of my hand. Also, it was not comfortable for me when flipping it upside down to use the gut hook.

Pretty sure since I just order them, I have decided on what to do.

1 Havalon Hydra I will remove the bone saw and replace it with the gut hook, this will solve 95% of my needs. I will also order the Raptor Razor for elk and moose hunting.

I ordered a Fiskar 18 inch lopper as well. I should be able to gut a deer in about 2 minutes.

Again I have been obsessing on this for the last 24-48 hours and pretty happy with my decision. Thanks for all the ideas.

looks like you may have already ordered, but for whitetail (no elk yet) i like the old school buck knife with the zipper and then the knives of alaska jaeger for the detail work. haven't really tried but not sure i'd be comfortable with a folder, just want something more substantial.

I agree that knives are very personal. I picked up a havalon this year and it worked great on whitetail.

I have had Zero luck using knives with a gut hook, factory and custom.
I own to many knives to count both factory and custom.

My “go to” combo for the past couple of years on southern white tails has been the Cold Steel Bird & Game along with a Buck Knives Paklite guthook for running up the legs and gut.

Absolutely nothing fancy about either but they work for me to get an animal out of the field, quartered and to the house where I can do the finer work with a filet knife. I do all of my own processing as I just don’t trust processors.

http://www.coldsteel.com/bird-and-game.html

Last edited:
I’m currently using the Buck Paklite guthook and a Mora for all my field dressing work. That guthook opens them up effortlessly. This is my first year to really use the Mora and it’s tough to beat given the price.

I use a Havalon, and a folding utility knife with carpet hook blades. Ring the legs and the anus with the surgical blade, then slit the skin and pull it off with the carpet hook utility blades. Cut the quarters and all other meat off (including tenderloins,) and leave those guts in place without ever touching them. Rarely use a regular knife anymore, it's not even worth it.

Reactions: jordan0317
I use 2 cheap folding box cutter knives from Tractor Supply Co. One has a standard razor blade the other has a carpet hook blade that works very well as a gut hook. I have been using this combo for about 4 years now with good luck.

I’ve been using the buck pack lite skinner and works good on everything except splitting the pelvis.

I used this pair to skin and quarter a bull elk in CO last week. I cant think of a time that I needed a gut hook.
20181019_145037.jpg

I have two different knives with a gut hook that I liked enough to keep.
One came in the outdoor edge Kodi-Pac set with a smaller caping knife that looks basically like a large scalpel with a knife handle and a bone saw on the back side of the sheath. The other is a nothing fancy Oldtimer with the green handle that holds an edge extremely well and just feels right in the hand so it has been used way more.
Both are good knives it's just that the outdoor edge knife is a bit of overkill for whitetail, it has more broad sweeping point that the radius of has allways reminded me of the edge on an Ulu blade it works great for skinning hogs though.

Last edited:
I'm not much on the combo knives. Friends of mine has a Gerber gut hook. It's all stainless unlike the plastic handled one you see now a days. I can't find one to purchase anywhere. Apparently it has been discontinued. Too bad cause it is 10 times better than that plastic turd.

The knives I'm speaking about have been used mostly on deer and antelope.
The ones mentioned as favorites have also been used on bear, elk, hogs, grouse, upland birds, turkeys and waterfowl.

With that said.

20181027_135751.jpg

Here are four knives with distinctly different blades.
The top two were my dad's, the bottom two have always been mine.

The Schrade Old Timer was a waste of money from day one.
The next knife I used was the Case Kiowa. It was great for skinning and gutting, however, it was nearly impossible to cut the anus away.
(Not sure where the dents in the blade came from, but dad used knives pretty hard.)
Other knives like folding Gerber, Buck knives, and even small folding knives like the three blade Shrades and Case brand were carried. All left something to be desired.

I bought the Browning 813 in 93 or 94 and it quickly became my go to knife. It holds an edge extremely well, it guts and does the anus cut very well. It's alright at skinning.

The Browning 809 above it became my dad's absolute favorite for the reasons I mentioned, plus it has a better skinning blade.

The thing I do is cut the anus loose first, then poke a small hole just below the center of the rib cage. I insert two fingers towards the back, slip the knife inbetween, lift and cut towards the anus.
I never cut through hair or down into it. It will dull any knife in short order.

The little Browning knife is sharp enough and stout enough to cut though the sternum up to the base of the throat in one cut if I decide I want the chest cavity open.

Yes, I cut away from myself. I don't want to be the guy that puts a knife into his femoral artery...

Anyway, I guess the point I'm making is, I've never seen a need for a gut hook unless it's the actual hook on a bird knife, and that isn't sharpened.

Is a properly built hook faster? Absolutely.
If I still lived in grizzly country, I might consider one simply because less time cutting and quartering could keep mama bear from showing up while I'm elbow deep in a carcass.
I no longer have that problem so one good sharp knife will do the trick.

Although I’ve always liked the idea of the gut hook and the knives I’ve had with them worked well in that capacity, the hook itself was always catching on stuff and getting hung up for the rest of the butchering job. The small amount of convenience was far outweighed by the annoyance of having it there.

Switched up my set up a little since last year. I went with a havalon for the anus. Raptor Razor for skinning and gutting. Went with Vicking deer splitter wich is supper cool.

Reactions: Adb1228
I use a Havalon, and a folding utility knife with carpet hook blades. Ring the legs and the anus with the surgical blade, then slit the skin and pull it off with the carpet hook utility blades. Cut the quarters and all other meat off (including tenderloins,) and leave those guts in place without ever touching them. Rarely use a regular knife anymore, it's not even worth it.

How flexible is the blade on the havalon?

They have a number of blade options... blunt tip, standard, and a fillet just off the top of my head. All of them are thin and very flexible.

This may be an old thread, but I'm always looking to plug the Buck Paklite Guthook. Look at the bladed part of it, and you'll notice that it's squared off, not round. This keep the skin from bunching up and snagging. Superior to every other guthook I've tried. I also prefer a stand-alone guthook, to those on a knife.

Ewwwww Disgusting, why are you gutting? I've used a havalon for the past two seasons. Do the gutless method:

Its a much better way to process your game and get it out.

I use the outdoor edge razor pro: https://www.outdooredge.com/products/razor-pro
I have sold all my other gut hook knives now.

I use the Outdoor Edge swing blade. Cheap. Stays in your hand while bloody, holds and edge and the "guy blade" makes it impossible to pop the pooch and passes through ribs pretty easy. I have several benchmarks, a Hella and a couple customs I use to skin and quarter but this cheap ass orange knife gets used to dress them out.

Only downside is it isn't USA made.

I've got a Gerber similar to this one that has worked very well on 3 elk and 2 deer. I have not needed to sharpen the gut hook and the blade is easy to sharpen and takes an edge well.

1542671552410.png

I've used a gut hook style blade and an old Wyoming guthook/knife.
Kinda did the job but felt awkward in use.
Didn't seem to have the dexterity I was used to.
Might just be what you're are used to as well.

R

For my field work I use a morakniv companion (see link below). I cut around the anus like you describe. Thin, light, razor sharp, durable as heck and cheap. Don't let the price fool you. I have many $100+ knives and this is my favorite all around one. If I lose or ruin one I won't be pissed about it at a whopping $12 each. Not full tang but I've yet to break one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004...kniv+knife&dpPl=1&dpID=316PYWNmv6L&ref=plSrch
Hard to beat a Morakniv regardless of what you are using it for. They are tough, affordable, built very well, and sharp as hell from the factory.

I have a Spyderco Impala with a guy hook that does ok. I usually carry a havalon and a browning gut hook. I like the large hook and T handle for my gut hooks and then the havalon for tight work. I do have several custom skinners that I love but usually they don’t go on any hunts where I would need to gut the animal to get them out.