• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Contemplating new build

Chaos_23

Private
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2011
Texas
Hi all,

I'm in the planning phase of my first precision rifle build. My thinking is to order all the necessary parts and then have the rifle assembled by a competent smith. Here's what I'm thinking so far.

Defiance Deviant Action
Bartlein barrel in .308. 20-24" long
Manners TF4/A stock
Timney trigger
Seekins DBM bottom metal
Nightforce rings
Nightforce NXS 3.5x15

Any thoughts on what I've come up with? Am I missing anything? I haven't begun to purchase anything yet, figured I'd try to get some feedback since this is my first crack at this. Right now I'm leaning towards GAP for the assembly, assuming that they do that. The rifle will be for personal use but assuming I love it and it shoots great it may be used for work as well. For that reason, I'm pretty much married to the .308 right now.

Thanks for the feedback!

That's a nice list of parts you got.
I would start with ordering the stock in the color pattern you want, since that could take a couple month to receive.

Seems like a solid list, I just got my .260 finished and can say you will love that deviant action, it's so smooth. Might need to get on a list for that as well, took me a few weeks to find one at the beginning of the year. Not sure if they are more available now.

My advice is to just call Woody who posted above. He can set you up with your parts listed. Also the most accurate rifle in my safe just happens to say Accurate Ordnance on it.

FWIW.... I ordered up a Mc Millan A-5 last year in June...took about 9 months to arrive. Ordered a Deviant action, that took about six months. My HART barrel about 2 months.

I had all the parts required and was waiting on the stock. I ended up buying almost exactly what I ordered from a Hide member which sped up my build by about 2-3 months. I'd suggest buying a stock that fits your needs IF Manners is really backordered. You can always sell the spare, fit the new one when it arrives, etc. Just saying...for my build the stock was the tough item to get.

The Deviant action was pretty perfect when it arrived. My smith easily fitted up the barrel and it's a laser. Shoots far better than I can. I think you will be happy with everything on that parts list especially when assembled by a competent Smith.

Good Luck.

Thanks for the comments so far!

I'm thinking I've changed my mind to the Manners T5A. As far as ordering goes, is there any reason I would need to call and specify what I want vs. using the on-line stock builder? I've gone through it and selected my options and it looks like everything I would need to specify is on there: Defiance Deviant Action, barrel profile, bottom metal. Is there anything else I should be worried about for fit?

Also, I'm gonna go with the Tactical Elite fill to save on weight. Any comments on this choice?

Lastly, I'm thinking I'm gonna order it with two flush cups on the left side and a stud up front for the bipod. Do I need any additional hardware and what would be the advantage of having non-rotating cups?

Sorry for all the questions in one post, but I'm hoping to order soon to get the waiting started!

Well, figured I'd give an update. I ordered the deviant about a month ago, quoted time was 4.5-5 months. Went with deep fluting on the bolt and a custom serial number.

Went with PTG stealth bottom metal and AIAW mags. Have those in hand now, awaiting shipment on my barrel, a Bartlein rem. varmint contour. Planning now to have it finished at 16.5 inches and threaded but not fluted.

Ordered my stock last week, quoted 4-5 months from Manners. Settled on the TF3-A in tactical elite (carbon fiber) black forest camo.

Still need to order my trigger and a badger efr rail, then once I have all the parts I'll ship them off to GAP for the smithwork.

Also thinking of going with the 5.5-22 offering from nightforce instead of the 3.5-15. And I figured that since I'm doing lots of waiting, I might as well get the ATF wait started too, so I'll be ordering a TBAC 30PS.

I welcome comments and critiques!

Last edited:
A 16 inch barrel in 308 would definitely limit it's range. If u went 243, 6.5mm creedmore, or 260 and a 20 to 26 inch barrel you will be able to shoot much farther. You can always cut a barrel down later but you can't make one longer. My two cents.

16 inch is great for a 308, if your shooting in Texas DA I assume it will cut your range back to around half a mile or so, but that may not matter to you. If so, I'd go longer, but no longer than 20.

Definitely get on the suppressor now. Might make the wait a little more tolerable waiting on your rifle being built. Looks like it's going to be a pretty sweet compact rifle though. Make sure to post some pics!

anything longer than 16 is homoerotic, regardless a 308 falls out of the sky at 321 yards, thats a fact jack

I went with the T5a on my last build. I have the 100% carbon fill with molded midnight.
2 left flush cups and 3 swivel studs( you can always take out). got the mini chassis.

my only regret was not doing the badger EFR inlet and having it done. I have 2 T5s and love them.
everyone calls them a thumb hole, but really are a pistol grip in terms of fell.

And don't worry about those who can handle the recoil of a 308. I need 11.6 mils for a 210 berger to 1000 yards.
You can hit what you want.. maybe just have to raise the barrel a bit more.....

Thanks guys, my main reason for going with .308 is to make sure I have enough kinetic to do the job, y'all know what I mean...

In all seriousness, I have access to free .308 match grade ammo, so it's really the only caliber that makes sense. And I realize that the short barrel may limit range, but for the intended use of the rifle I prefer compactness over speed.

As for hardware on the stock, I went with 5 flush cups and 1 stud.

I'm so glad I didn't open my first post with "y'all know what I mean".......

yeah I'd like to build a shorty 308, mine is 22 with a titan brake. Went with a heavy creedmoor next. I'm waiting on a can here in PA and the wait times appear to be around 10 months. so make sure you donate 200$ and start the count.