• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Contour questions

Dildobaggins

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Jun 26, 2020
    Got a bighorn origin for a 300 SAUM build. This will be used for hunting and plinking so I will be lugging it around some. I'm in upstate NY so it's not like I'm in a mountain region, but I'd like to go on an elk hunt or moose hunt one day, when I win the lotto. NSS has barrels in 300 SAUM. I bought a 6CM in varmint contour and it's 4lbs 10 ounces. on a tenacity action with a krg bravo stock and scoped, it's a little heavy.

Has anyone ever used a heavy Sporter contour barrel? At 3lbs 8 ounces it seems like the sweet spot for me. at 24 inches it's muzzle dia. Is .720
    Is that diameter to small for a muzzle brake? Are they as accurate as a varmint or heavier contour? Any general thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Reactions: Average guy
    I did a 300 SAUM on a Proof Sendero for a customer and it shoots awesome according to him. I think you would do well with a Bartlein 3b contour if you want to go all steel.

Reactions: Dildobaggins
    I did a 280AI with a 24" barrel from Preferred Barrel Blanks. It weighs 3lbs & 7oz. in their sporter 2 contour which is consistent with my expectations.

They offer the 300 Saum.

Alot of times the medium type contours are as accurate as the rest of the medium type contours. I have a RemVar, 3b, and some #4s.

By far my favorite is the #4. 3b at 22" is still plenty front heavy in a Mcmillan. I think the #4 balances better in a hunting type stock instead of a light weight hunting type stock, especially when going past 21-22" which I assume you are on 300 Saum.

What you're giving up with any midweight barrel over a heavy varmint is stability in a heavy stock and the length of the string of shots its accurate for. If you're shooting 5 shot groups and taking a break the #4 (if its quality)will keep up with the heavier barrel. If you want 20 shot strings a heavier barrel is for you.

What you're gaining with a midweight barrel is balance in a lighter stock, especially if you're slinging it, and being able to keep up with the fatter barrels for short shot strings. Nothing worse than a carry rifle that constantly wants to tip off our shoulder because the barrel is too heavy or the stock is too light.

Normally I will decide what stock I want to use which is decided by the task, and try to balance the barrel with that.

You could go proof carbon fiber prefit in 300 wsm
    x 2...
    SAUM feeds more reliably without the tweaking usually needed for the WSM, but good luck finding SAUM factory ammo in many locales on a hunting trip.

Otherwise identical performance, so if weight savings is important and budget allows for carbon fiber...

I pretty much always get the nss heavy Sporter. I would buy with confidence. Great for hunting weight up to range 10 shot strings

x 2...
    SAUM feeds more reliably without the tweaking usually needed for the WSM, but good luck finding SAUM factory ammo in many locales on a hunting trip.

Otherwise identical performance, so if weight savings is important and budget allows for carbon fiber...
    I'd be reloading for it. Brass seems plentiful, from a few companies including Norma and nosler. Also nosler sells 300 SAUM. I can nut up that kind of money for a carbon fiber unfortunately.

I pretty much always get the nss heavy Sporter. I would buy with confidence. Great for hunting weight up to range 10 shot strings
    Awesome, good to hear. Is the muzzle diameter of the heavy Sporter big enough for a muzzle brake?

Reactions: Jack's Dad
    I have a #6 broughton which was their heavier shorter class contour I think. I carry it hunting with no issues. It is every bit as accurate as all of my mtu or m24 tunes.

The brake on the photo with the elk is a Griffin for my silencer. Obviously it is doesn't match the contour of the barrel so if that's super important then you'll need a carbon barrel. The nss barrels from criterion are very accurate. Often a bunch of 1 hole group development so I just choose a velocity that I like.

Attachments

• IMG_20191228_113022258.jpg
      IMG_20191228_113022258.jpg
      517.1 KB · Views: 94
    • IMG_20210201_112110379_HDR.jpg
      IMG_20210201_112110379_HDR.jpg
      879.6 KB · Views: 104
    Almost two years ago now I ended up building a 28 Nosler on a heavy Sporter barrel. Really wanted it as an elk gun so I had the same weight questions in mind. I used an ER Shaw Precision barrel, spiral fluted, it’s threaded and has only ever had a can on it, I never minded the recoil. Gun with scope and stock sits right at 7lbs and shoots very well. Last summer I had it out too 1,200 yards and it did so with easy. Since this one I’ve built a few more, both heavier and lighter and it seems as if heavy Sporter is the sweet spot.

Attachments

• B21FA047-6B5C-4B48-A05C-F6C52DC84DB5.jpeg
      B21FA047-6B5C-4B48-A05C-F6C52DC84DB5.jpeg
      546.4 KB · Views: 82
    • Love
    The brake on the photo with the elk is a Griffin for my silencer. Obviously it is doesn't match the contour of the barrel so if that's super important then you'll need a carbon barrel. The nss barrels from criterion are very accurate. Often a bunch of 1 hole group development so I just choose a velocity that I like.
    I'd like an apa little bastard on it, I don't care if it looks weird, this is only my second custom build, so I'm worried more about function. Yours looks great, and good job on the elk!

Reactions: Jack's Dad
    As to the required muzzle OD for a brake, ask the company making / selling the brake you want. There is one that will contour a brake to match your Bbl. IF that is of any importance.

I'd like an apa little bastard on it, I don't care if it looks weird, this is only my second custom build, so I'm worried more about function. Yours looks great, and good job on the elk!
    Most medium/heavy sporter contours are going to be in the neighborhood of .700 or so at the muzzle.
    My recommendation would be to go with the Micro Bastard in 9/16".
    I've done- very reluctantly- .30 cal brakes in 1/2"-28- but it's not a good idea. Not enough barrel wall thickness and there's a real risk of bell-mouth at the muzzle.

JMO, YMMV.

Most medium/heavy sporter contours are going to be in the neighborhood of .700 or so at the muzzle.
    My recommendation would be to go with the Micro Bastard in 9/16".
    I've done- very reluctantly- .30 cal brakes in 1/2"-28- but it's not a good idea. Not enough barrel wall thickness and there's a real risk of bell-mouth at the muzzle.

JMO, YMMV.
    Can you explain this to me like I'm 5 years old? What's bellmouth at the muzzle. As far as how it looks I'm not to concerned if the muzzle looks goofy on the end. I'm only going to do load development and fire maybe 100 or less rounds a year through it.

I ordered a few heavy Sporter barrels from NSS and had their local gunsmith cut one shorter and thread it. The heavy sporter has the right diameter for threading 5/8-24”. If you want to go lighter you’ll need to go down to 9/16”.

Attachments

• 7B010324-7A68-4DA8-8EF0-55AB3C493F09.jpeg
      7B010324-7A68-4DA8-8EF0-55AB3C493F09.jpeg
      1.2 MB · Views: 85
    Can you explain this to me like I'm 5 years old? What's bellmouth at the muzzle. As far as how it looks I'm not to concerned if the muzzle looks goofy on the end. I'm only going to do load development and fire maybe 100 or less rounds a year through it.
    It loosens up and is no longer tight which leads to inherent inaccuracy.

truthfully buy 2 barrels

one truck axel for plinking and an pencil thin for hunting

if your upstate NY, shots prob arent longer than 200 yards..a junk rack grade barrel will hit a groundhog never mind a deer sized animal at that distance

additionally, barrel thickness has nothing to do with cold/first and second shot POA/POI difference, chamber and quality of barrel do

when hunting you arent shooting groups, so a thicker barrel only adds weight

if you win the powerball and go elk hunting youll be able to buy the exact barrel you want

Reactions: Digetydog
    Got a bighorn origin for a 300 SAUM build. This will be used for hunting and plinking so I will be lugging it around some. I'm in upstate NY so it's not like I'm in a mountain region, but I'd like to go on an elk hunt or moose hunt one day, when I win the lotto. NSS has barrels in 300 SAUM. I bought a 6CM in varmint contour and it's 4lbs 10 ounces. on a tenacity action with a krg bravo stock and scoped, it's a little heavy.

Has anyone ever used a heavy Sporter contour barrel? At 3lbs 8 ounces it seems like the sweet spot for me. at 24 inches it's muzzle dia. Is .720
    Is that diameter to small for a muzzle brake? Are they as accurate as a varmint or heavier contour? Any general thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
    The standard #3 contour as a blank is right around 3.95#. Thread chamber and cut and crown your going to be right around the 3.8 mark. This is at 26" finish.

It'll shoot just fine accuracy wise. There is always a trade off on weight vs accuracy at times. A hvy varmint contour vs a sporter your not exactly comparing apples and apples but it will shoot just fine.

Vs. spending the money on the carbon fiber....your not gaining anything accuracy wise.

Later, Frank
    Bartlein Barrels

The standard #3 contour as a blank is right around 3.95#. Thread chamber and cut and crown your going to be right around the 3.8 mark. This is at 26" finish.

It'll shoot just fine accuracy wise. There is always a trade off on weight vs accuracy at times. A hvy varmint contour vs a sporter your not exactly comparing apples and apples but it will shoot just fine.

Vs. spending the money on the carbon fiber....your not gaining anything accuracy wise.

Later, Frank
    Bartlein Barrels
    Good info! Thank you Frank.

I ordered a krieger 5.5 sporter and had it fluted to cut down a little weight. Super excited for when it gets here. Going to finish at 25.5” and it will be a 7 Sherman. Trying to keep this rig kinda light not stupid light and that contour from krieger was about as light as they wanted to go for the Sherman.

I have a 26" Bartlein 3B contour on my 28 Nosler. The rifle without a scope isn't bad weight wise but then I threw a ATACR on it and tips the scales at 10lbs 12oz. Shoots great but will heat up quickly.

Attachments

• signal-2022-04-01-154414_001.jpeg
      signal-2022-04-01-154414_001.jpeg
      473.2 KB · Views: 76

I have a heavy sporter in a 6cm. It’s a nice weight. Mine isn’t threaded though.