• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Convert 40 to 9?

I would see if you can find schematics for the M&P. It should show a different part number if they are using a different extractor for 9 and 40. It should be a simple swap if they are different and one can be obtained.

Reactions: Rookie
That and a new extractor retainer roll pin that I boogered before I had roll pin punches.

Hi guys - I'm not a pistol shooter by any stretch...so, maybe help me understand a bit....why is 40 S&W no longer commonly used?

Are there general issues with this round or just want to shoot a perhaps less expensive round?

Hi guys - I'm not a pistol shooter by any stretch...so, maybe help me understand a bit....why is 40 S&W no longer commonly used?

Are there general issues with this round or just want to shoot a perhaps less expensive round?

The selling point for the .40S&W was that it was the best of both worlds with the knockdown power of a .45ACP and magazine capacity of a 9mm. Nowadays there's plenty of large capacity mags for the .45ACP so people just get a .45.

Reactions: Baron23
When I left the PD 12 years ago most every cop in the country carried a 40. Now almost noone does. Some say its because improvements in bullet technology made the 9mm as effective as the 40 with less recoil and more capacity for ammo. I would argue that same technology made the 40 more effective as well.

Rounds down range. In the same physical size magazine you can get more rounds of 9mm than 40.

Bullet / cartridge tech has changed, yes that also makes 40 or 10mm or 45 better, however 9mm now would be very close to what 40s&w when it first came out ?

I put it mostly to physical rounds in the mag.. for when you get assulted by acorns. Return fire, mag dump, more return fire.

To update, received the 9mm mag today and hit the range. 9mm swap works perfect with defensive rounds and my crummy reloads. POI=POA. So cal swap for $170 beats $600 for new gun. Plus the versatility of 1 gun, 2 cals.
I did that to my old duty Glock 22. Changed to a LW 9mm conversion barrel and 9mm mags and its been 100%.

Reactions: Rookie
My LTC instructor answered the question about which round is most effective.

He said, "I have a .380, a 9 mm, and a .45. Which one do you want me to shoot you with?"

• Haha
Reactions: iceng