• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns convert glock 23 to 9mm ?

is there a barrel or kit I can get to convert gen3 glock 23 40sw to 9mm ?
The Glock 23 and Glock 19 are identical in specs (with the notable exception of the barrel and magazines). You can drop a Glock 19 barrel into a Glock 23 slide, use a 9mm (Glock 19 or 17) magazine and you are good to go.

Is it manufacturer recommended to do so? Nope... But I tried it out with my 19 and a friends 23 and it worked like a charm.

While it is possible to use a 19 barrel in a 23 slide the hike in the end of the slide is oversized in the 23. I would use a lone wolf or similar conversion barrel with the proper OD barrel.

I bought a Bar-Sto 9mm conversion barrel for a 23 a couple of years ago.

Bar-Sto Precision Machine

Then I just bought a bunch of 19 mags, and it took about 500 rounds to break in and be reliable. I would never just use a standard Glock 9mm barrel.

Did the same for my Sig229.

Last edited:
I prefer KKM barrels for my conversions, but it's as simple as calling them, ordering a "Glock 23 9mm conversion", and then dropping the barrel into the slide. Very easy. If you shoot suppressed much, this is a good chance just to have that barrel threaded for your can as well, and now you have both a 9mm and a suppressor host.

I barrowed a 40 to 9 Lone Wolf barrel for my G35, with 115's it was not very accurate but 100% reliable, with 124's and 147's accuracy was very good, but I HATE the stupid logo LW puts on there barrels, so I got a KKM conversion barrel, accuracy with 115's is better than the LW, and the same with 124's and 147's as the LW, so if the logo is ok with you get a LW, if not I recommend the KKM.

The Glock 23 and Glock 19 are identical in specs (with the notable exception of the barrel and magazines). You can drop a Glock 19 barrel into a Glock 23 slide, use a 9mm (Glock 19 or 17) magazine and you are good to go.

Is it manufacturer recommended to do so? Nope... But I tried it out with my 19 and a friends 23 and it worked like a charm.

Isn't the 40cal barrel diameter slightly larger than the 9mm barrel diameter?

I picked up the lone wolf 40-9 barrel and used it with no issues for the first 500 rounds...
I dont know if it was an ammo issue, but I now occasionally have ejection issues...

I know that I can swap the .40 extractor to a 9MM extractor as the 9MM will be 1/2 mm longer then the 40...

It is just not worth the effort to swap for me....

not my auction - just price examples
Lone Wolf Barrel 9mm Conversion Fits Glock 23 | eBay

Lone Wolf LWD 239L Glock 23 32 9mm Stainless Extended Conversion Barrel ? New | eBay

https://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=236280&CAT=241

The ejector on the 40 is straight and on the 9, it's bent in a little. Easy to swap. .... Memory not as good, I maybe backwards on the 2.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand why you would want to go from a 40S&W to a 9mm. Why would you want to change?

Used a Lone Wolf Barrel on my 21 .What a POS. It is a threaded Tactical Barrel .It refuses to feed anything but FMG and it has already been back to Lone Wolf once as it would not cycle ANYTHING at first . Their tech told me it takes at least 300 rounds of + P to break in and that it will most likely never feed anything but ball. So much for Tactical(Which he said was Tactical length not Tactical use) Explains the GAY logo. I need a Barrel for my 29 guess I will find one that works as it is a CC weapon.

I told LW that the logo sucks. They should delete it and just put LW. Like my kids, they don't listen.
On your crappy barrel, create a small radius at the top of the feed ramp (top of the water fall). I use a dremmel with a fine sanding cylinder. Follow the sanding with polishing. Polish the whole ramp.

I like the KKM barrels better.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand why you would want to go from a 40S&W to a 9mm. Why would you want to change?

Hey Welcome to the Hide!

For me I wanted the flexibility, in IDPA all the mags can only have 10 rounds, a minor power factor load of 40 should be considered cheating, in USPSA major and minor are scored differently, when I need capacity the 9 barrel goes in, I have not changed anything else and my G35 runs like a Glock with my KKM conversion barrel in

Hey Welcome to the Hide!

For me I wanted the flexibility, in IDPA all the mags can only have 10 rounds, a minor power factor load of 40 should be considered cheating, in USPSA major and minor are scored differently, when I need capacity the 9 barrel goes in, I have not changed anything else and my G35 runs like a Glock with my KKM conversion barrel in

Okay, I guess that makes since if your doing for competition reasons. I just never understood why someone would take a great weapon and convert it to a 9. But, that is my opinion. But, I know there are a lot of people in here that have probably used a 9 in tactical settings, either in the US or across the pond, and I've never heard anyone compliment the use of a 9. Now I hear a lot of people praise 9 mm and quote ballistics all day long, but I've never heard any of these compliments from people who have actually applied it in real life. I was just wondering why someone would want to convert their 40 to 9. Competition makes sense I guess... I have heard that 10mm works great in competition also, but I personally have no experience with this round - its all "hear-say".

Oath Keeper said:
Now I hear a lot of people praise 9 mm and quote ballistics all day long, but I've never heard any of these compliments from people who have actually applied it in real life.

Have you heard criticisms of the 9mm from people who have actually applied it in real life?

Or complements for the 40SW from people who have actually applied it in real life?

I had a threaded lone wolf barrel for my glock 36 (45 acp). The chamber was too tight to feed much of anything. I sent it back to them and told them that I wanted the chamber reamed to Glock specs. After I got it back it feeds fine now. Probably not as accurate, but nothing I would notice out of a compact glock. They reamed it for free. I was out shipping.

Hey Gunny, sorry it took so long to get back to you. Yes, I have heard a lot of criticism for the 9mm, by both reg soldiers, police, and SOF Operators. The 9mm bullet does not have the stopping power that we once carried in the 1911. Then theres the argument of shot placement, but there are multiple stories of people living from head-shots within our own borders. You do not hear these stories from 40's or 45's. We went to the 9mm so that "people" who could not handle the "kick" of the 1911 would still be proficient. The 1911 put the enemy down and they stayed there, not so much with the 9mm. It's like comparing 556 and 762. Both may get the job done, but 762 does it right the first time. But as far as competition goes I won't make any arguments, just real life application. Unless its those new RIP rounds, then by all means go for it. Those rounds are devastating.

Hey Gunny, sorry it took so long to get back to you. Yes, I have heard a lot of criticism for the 9mm, by both reg soldiers, police, and SOF Operators. The 9mm bullet does not have the stopping power that we once carried in the 1911. Then theres the argument of shot placement, but there are multiple stories of people living from head-shots within our own borders. You do not hear these stories from 40's or 45's. We went to the 9mm so that "people" who could not handle the "kick" of the 1911 would still be proficient. The 1911 put the enemy down and they stayed there, not so much with the 9mm. It's like comparing 556 and 762. Both may get the job done, but 762 does it right the first time. But as far as competition goes I won't make any arguments, just real life application. Unless its those new RIP rounds, then by all means go for it. Those rounds are devastating.

Now we just know you're trolling.

To each their own, I don't care one way or the other. People are going to carry what they like or what they want. But I, I will not carry a 9. That is me and my prefrence. I just know enough people who have applied it and I myself will not carry one.

I don't know what trolling means, but I have seen what those RIP rounds do.

Seen "what they do" in person? On fleshy bipedal targets?

Because they don't really stack up too well compared to other modern bonded self-defense bullets.

[video=youtube;-hpoyioicVU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hpoyioicVU[/video]

Oath Keeper said:
To each their own, I don't care one way or the other. People are going to carry what they like or what they want. But I, I will not carry a 9. That is me and my prefrence. I just know enough people who have applied it and I myself will not carry one.

I'm curious about the people you know who have "applied" the 9mm, presumably in defense of self or others, especially since I asked about that upthread and wasn't answered.

What type of bullet? What type of target? Where was the target hit? How did the 9mm "fail" them and how do they think a 40SW or a 45ACP would have performed "better" in their engagement?

Everybody can carry whatever caliber they choose, and that's great...but I'm really interested to hear real, actual, tangible accounts of how 9mm with modern bullets "failed" and 40 or 45 did not. Because without such, we're left with gunshop and internet lore along the lines of "all 5.56 does is wound".

What did you do in the core Gunny? I know a lot of soldiers who have spoken ill of there 9's. I find it difficult to believe you haven't heard the same. Have you ever been to an event with old soldiers who carried both the 1911's and the 9's and have made the grip of never having to pull the trigger twice with 45? A SOF operator told a story of dumping a whole clip into an "enemy", in his chest, before he walked up and put one in his head. I've heard multiple accounts of soldiers having to shoot someone 3 to 4 times in the chest to put them down. Yes, they do tend to dope themselves up over there. However the problem is the same.

As far as 556 is concerned.... Are you serious? The Marine Core as a whole almost went to straight 762 instead of the 556 because it was a round that was far superior. 556 does some damage, don't get me wrong, and it will kill. A 22 will drop a hog if you put one behind its ear, but that don't mean that I'm going to take one when I go hunting. I've used an M4 for over 13 years, but I much prefer to use an M60, a 240B, or an M24 (my personal favorite).