• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Converting a push feed to a controlled feed?

Penguin156

Private
Minuteman
May 20, 2011
Wisconsin
This might sound like something of a stupid question but here goes anyway. I have a FNH PBR, 18", .308 with the Winchester push feed style action. I read somewhere that the machining on the receiver for post-64 actions were pretty much the same for both the push feed and the controlled round feed actions. My question is basically, seeing I'm thinking about re-barreling, if I found a control round feed bolt and got the extractor cut on the barrel, would it all come together? Also, and just as important, would I notice a damn bit of difference for my investment? Sorry if this question is stupid, just exploring possibilities for other improvements when I replace the barrel.

Re: Converting a push feed to a controlled feed?

Spend your money on ammo and don't worry about CRF.

save your money from gunsmithing and shoot the damn thing, nothing wrong with it as is.
Cheers.

There are a few outfits that will switch you to a Sako style extractor and give you controlled feed.

I have rifles both ways,, Cant say I favor it either way...
smile.gif

Dave

1. Shoot it as is or
2. Trade/sell it

Don't mess with it. CRF is mandatory for dangerous game and that is about it. Adding a Sako extractor will not make it a controlled feed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MJ7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't mess with it. CRF is mandatory for dangerous game and that is about it. Adding a Sako extractor will not make it a controlled feed. </div></div>+1

Thanks for all the input. I didn't really think about the ejector. She hasn't given me any problems so far so I'm going to put an end to that thought process. I can't wait until I have the coin to take her down the road to Bartlein or Kreiger for a new pipe though. Then again, selling her for what I can while she still has some rifling and putting the money towards a SPR a5 has crossed my mind too.

Bearwolf,

If you have an original PBR you have a controlled round push feed. The extractor is a sliding plate and the ejector is the same blade ejector of the CRF actions. The CRPF actions are a hybrid that are controlled round feed without the claw extractor. The bolt face is open on the bottom, just like the CRF actions. The Winchester post-64 push feed actions do have the plunger ejector and closed bolt face. PBRs never shipped with this type of bolt.

If you are going to rebarrel, the CRF bolt will fit in your PBR action. (as long as it is a short action bolt and set-up for the two lever trigger) As you already know, you will need a coned breach cut on the barrel as well as the extractor cut. Whether or not it is better or necessary, that's up to debate.

Hope this helps.