• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Converting small shank receiver to large

Trental

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 30, 2011
Boise, ID
My basic question is this... has anyone recut a small shank receiver and rethreaded it to accept large shank barrels?

Background:
I have a Savage LRP on order in 6.5 Creedmoor and I also have a Shilen barrel coming for it. The only thing I'll be using for my build is the action/trigger from the LRP. I'll be putting the Shilen barrel on it and mounting it in a composite stock designed for Metallic Silhouette competition. So that means that I will have a perfectly nice LRP barrel and stock left over.

My buddy happens to have a nearly new Stevens model 200 sitting around doing nothing (.243). I'd like to use his action and build another rifle with it on the cheap. I guess I'd also have to deal with screw spacing though, I haven't looked at that yet. Savage has two different size barrel shanks. One at 1.112" and another at 1.050", so 0.031" of material removal would be necessary.

Anyway, anyone ever recut a small shank receiver and rethreaded it to accept large shank barrels? I have a master machinist at my disposal so cost would be very minimal.

Would doing this have any effect on the receiver heat treatment? The outside diameter of the Savage receivers is all the same, so the combined thickness from the chamber wall to the outside of the receiver is the same regardless if it is a small shank or large shank barrel (in it's corresponding receiver).

I don't want to cut the barrel. I want to be able to put it back on the target action should I ever need to.

Thanks!

Trent

Re: Converting small shank receiver to large

I am pretty sure the Target action on the LRP is a large shank.

The last one I took apart was the standard small shank.
The large shank is only used on the WSSM and some magnum guns.

this made me curious, i found this from fred's old site.

The following information was provided by Fred Moreo of SSS.

Savage Barrel Shanks

Savage 110 Barrel Shanks

In 2002 Savage offered rifles in the Winchester Short Magnum (WSM) and Remington Ultra Magnum (RUM) calibers. When these were finally in the catalog, there was a change made to the barrel shank diameter. Standard barrel shank diameter on standard calibers are 1.055" x 20tpi. On the new WSM, RUM, and SAUM calibers it is 1.120" x 20tpi. The barrel nut is also bigger in internal size, but is the same outer diameter and our barrel nut wrench will still fit. Savage also used this size of shank on the first version of the Model 10ML muzzleloader.

However, there were a few WSM and RUM rifles made on the standard barrel shank in the first production run. The best way to tell is to measure the barrel shank right against the nut. The larger barrel shank will have a step down approximately 1/8" ahead of the barrel nut. If your rifle has a serial number with a "G" prefix, it is most probable it will have the larger shank.

NOTE: The new 12LRPV's extra heavy target barrel is a large shank.

Assuming it is possible, wouldn't you be better off turning the barrel to the smaller threads instead of the receiver to the larger ones? That way if it doesn't work out you are out the barrel and not the receiver.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Linkless</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Assuming it is possible, wouldn't you be better off turning the barrel to the smaller threads instead of the receiver to the larger ones? That way if it doesn't work out you are out the barrel and not the receiver. </div></div>

Possible, yes. But it's not what he wants to do.
"I don't want to cut the barrel. I want to be able to put it back on the target action should I ever need to."

People open up Remington actions to an oversized thread every day. I would double check the measurements side by side on the actions, but I don't see why it couldn't be accomplished in theory.

Yes, it can be done and it simply takes a competent machinist who understands the little details involved with making it work.

I've done it in the past.

Yup, All LRP Target actions are LS. Just ordered one. On Savageshooters.com they do not advice opening a small shank to a large. Not sure if it was just peoples opinions though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WhiteDingo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

People open up Remington actions to an oversized thread every day. I would double check the measurements side by side on the actions, but I don't see why it couldn't be accomplished in theory. </div></div>

Yes, but on Remingtons they are only opening .010"-.015". When you do this to a Savage you are going from 1.055" to 1.120".

It would be a better idea just to find a WSM action.

Well, my buddy realized that he could just keep it and throw a 7mm-08 barrel on there himself and put it to use so that deal is out the window anyway. I'll keep my eyes out for a good deal on a large shank action at some of my local haunts.

Center Shot rifles do this service I believe still i know i read it on their site before.

So will Kevin Rayhill but I'm sure he will recommend turning the barrel down first.

I plan to pick up another small shank action and have it trued to large shank