• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Convince me to get an SR-15 E3 IWS..

LSUbeatUby40

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2007
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I have a budget of 5k as of right now. Everything I see is that the SR-15 is a badass setup, so I start doing research only to find that it can be grossly inaccurate.

Now I get that it is made for battle and holding up in wars and such, but if I am going to drop $2200 on an AR I expect at least some better accuracy, like 1 MOA.

Can I expect that with this rig?

Also give me some tips on a sights for it if I get it. Please.

BTW, this SR would be used from 100m to 400m range target shooting (steel, paper etc...) and also some carbine courses.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Convince me to get an SR-15 E3 IWS..

Its a good turnkey system. Comes with a lot of bells and whistles for the $, and its available at a good price.

Downside is the non-standard bolt/Extractor, so spares are going to be a bit more$ than normal AR parts.

Its a carbine, accuracy is reported as good, but it may not reliably get under 1 MOA unless using match ammo or handloads.

I'd say go for it. Pair it with the soon to be released Leupy Mark 6 1-6x, and you'll have a pretty slick setup.

I have one. actually a Mod 1 SBR, meaning I bought the SR-15 complete lower, bought the 14.5" SBR upper, and had the upper shipped to Chad Dixon to time and permanently attach a brake. I wanted the slightly shorter ball milled barrel, but it did cost me a lot more in the long run.

I cannot speak to the accuracy of the rifle, I have only run m193 and m855 through it, and with those combine with my limited group shooting ability with a 3x AGOG, I get an honest 3 moa.

As for the bolt- you can run a standard bolt if need be in an emergency.

IMO, it is a pretty good value, and does everything I want and intended. If you want sub moa, you might want to look at an OBR lite or Noveske or something like that, as they come with a stainless barrel and a sub moa accuracy guarantee. The SR-15 is chrome lined which is a bit more rugged but known to be a bit less accurate.

I think you would better off going with something like a JP or LWRC. Betters parts interchangeability, more than likely more accurate, and overall just as good if not better.

I would get a DD, Noveske, BCM, or something similar, get a red dot or nice 1-6 scope from leupold, Vortex, SS, spend the rest on training and ammo.

I love my 14.5 SR-15 mod 1. It's absolutely a blast to shoot and it's a very soft flat shooting gun. I have only run m855 through it. But I will slap a scope on it today and try and get you a sample of how it shoots with good ammo

If you want 1 moa I'd like at a Noveske or BCM with the SS410 barrel. I run several Noveske's and they easily shoot 1 moa or better. I'm also running a Leupold VX-6 multigun that works great for everything from in your face out to 5-600 meters.

On a budget get DD or BCM

Accuracy is the focus, lots of choices

Want a very well balenced ar that addresses some of the shortcomings of the system, the SR15 is the way to go.

I'm picking mine up tomorrow. So buy one. Just kidding. The SR15 is not going to be a tack driving AR .223, buy a heavy varmint barrel 20" AR for that.

I bought mine for my zombie apocalypse fun .223 rifle, short barrel, maneuverability, light rifle, light recoiling with all the bells and whistles right out of the box. If I can hit Man sized silhouettes at 600 yards I'm happy with it.

I think the 3moa reports your reading about are with crappy ammo. You will be shooting only match ammo if your looking for 1MOA accuracy out of any AR. I bet with Match Ammo the SR15 will hold 1MOA.

By the way if you've been following the shootout with semi auto's on this forum you will see how hard 1MOA groups are with any gas gun, even full blow custom builds.

By the way I put an Aimpoint H1 2MOA dot site on mine, like I said 75% of my shooting with this rifle will be under 200 yards.

I paid 1980.00 for mine from Lawmans. I think they have the newer mod 1's in stock. If ya don't like the accuracy you can sell it in a heartbeat and buy a JP.

I bought a Taupe one when they first came out, it shot right at 1", some days a bit better but it was good enough for me to shoot varmints - and it has slayed many. I now have 3 of them.
I also bought an 18" OBR light, and it is a .5" gun, but after the first coyote trip I found out how much lighter the SR15 was to pack. So now I am back to carrying one of the KAC guns unless I am not needed to hike far or am wanting to shoot smaller targets.
Minute of coyote or minute of jackrabbit is good with me, I figure I will be the largest variable.

In my opinion, its one of the nicer balanced out of the box guns out there and lends itself naturally to rapid target transition. If you are looking for a straight up tack driver it may not be your huckleberry, but for a nice out of the box all around AR, it would be hard to beat. With that said, 5k is a pretty solid budget for an AR setup depending on what you want. Maybe you could be better served if we knew what you wanted to do with the rifle?