• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Coolest piece of kit lately?

Glassaholic

Optical theorist and conjecturer
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 30, 2012
    Panhandle, FL
    Sometimes I find gold reading through random threads, where someone mentions a slick new product (or sometimes even older products I wasn't aware of) so thought I might ask, what's a cool piece of kit you've picked up lately, or even heard about especially with SHOT hot off our heels.

I'll start things off with this, I love torches (flashlights for the lay person ;)) and Fenix has come out with a few items that are really slick:
    • Micro USB chargeable lithium-ion batteries - just about everyone and their mother have micro usb cables laying around, these batteries don't need a dedicated charger, they just need to be hooked up to a micro usb and whatever power source you can plug the USB into. Perfect for travel when you don't want to deal with bringing the charger or in your car, boat, etc.
    • Fenix 14500 battery - this is an AA sized lithium-ion and delivers a full 1.5v and comes standard and micro usb.
    • Fenix LD12 2017 Edition - at first this seems like any other EDC type torch, but look closer and you'll see that with the 14500 battery this little unit puts out 320 lumens which is impressive for such a small unit. It's not quite as small as my E12 but over 2x as bright so this is going to become my new EDC. If you drain the 14500 and don't have another, no problem, a trip to the corner market and some AA's and you're back in business, not as bright as with the 14500, but I love backwards compatibility.
    • Fenix PD36R - talk about bright and in a small package! This uses the new 21700 5000 mAh battery, only slightly bigger than the 18650 but packing a lot more punch, with 1600 lumen, this is one of the brightest compact torches out.

I picked this up one day after seeing it posted on IG. Mandalorian themed knife from Compliance Edge. It was one of those things that speaks to you.

Attachments

• 70B4036E-A5C3-4A91-8C2D-F426DAD010C3.jpeg
      70B4036E-A5C3-4A91-8C2D-F426DAD010C3.jpeg
      367.3 KB · Views: 406
    • CC42CB48-57C2-4F30-89ED-82E13E5A5638.jpeg
      CC42CB48-57C2-4F30-89ED-82E13E5A5638.jpeg
      354.8 KB · Views: 367
    This is not so much cool odd but cool quality. I bought an ATLAS bi-pod #BT65-LW17. It was tough to pay $$ for her but she is worth it.
    Another item is the Maglula Baby Uplula Universal loader. Shooting has become much more enjoyable. The last item is the CrossTac Tactical 8" rear squeeze bag. The material is tough tek and kind of sticky. The fill is poly beads that flows very nicely. I have an Ultra lite model that I only keep as a back up.
    I mention these because I have certainly bought enough of " the wrong stuff " Learn from my misfortunes.

Shawn

anything Maglula is good to go. Been using their stuff for years and when I got my first AICS mags I was crushed to find they don't have a loader for them. lol.

Reactions: JOS and fx77
    anything Maglula is good to go. Been using their stuff for years and when I got my first AICS mags I was crushed to find they don't have a loader for them. lol.
    Masterpiece Arms has a nice little loader for AICS mags. Obviously one doesn’t “need” it but it’s nice to save your fingers.

Picked up a Warne Skyline for my next build instead of my usual Atlas CAL. I'm pretty impressed with it. It's solid and has some nifty features.

one of these: 30 Round Bench Loader I love reloading for my long range bolt actions...but I HATE loading 30 round magazines for the AR. I can load magazines almost as fast as I can shoot without hurting my fingers now.

How about: Turret Magnifier So my poor eyes can see the dials.

How about: PU ELR Bag or anything really from Precision Underground.

How about: Ammo Novel or anything from Cole-TAC

or...or....man I could go on and on.

Not groundbreaking but always wanted a baseplate for AW mags since Seekins quit making them. The AICS mags always have a base plate available just for some extra meat to grab on to. @flirtinwithdisaster finally made a 3d printed baseplate for AWs that is pretty nice and filled my need.

Just got a Super CAL bipod the other day. I have to say, I'm impressed with it's stability and wider stance.
    Tell me more. I was looking at the TBAC Bipod but was shying away because of no pan, the Supercalifragilistic seems really close to the TBAC in design/function. Are you finding the no pan to not be much of an issue?

Tell me more. I was looking at the TBAC Bipod but was shying away because of no pan, the Supercalifragilistic seems really close to the TBAC in design/function. Are you finding the no pan to not be much of an issue?
    also a fan of no pan

and i much prefer the way the Atlas leg lock/release is at the top, not buried and getting caked in mud and grime cause it's at the bottom

one of these: 30 Round Bench Loader I love reloading for my long range bolt actions...but I HATE loading 30 round magazines for the AR. I can load magazines almost as fast as I can shoot without hurting my fingers now.

How about: Turret Magnifier So my poor eyes can see the dials.

How about: PU ELR Bag or anything really from Precision Underground.

How about: Ammo Novel or anything from Cole-TAC

or...or....man I could go on and on.

Love the turret magnifier from MK Machining.

I like Precision Underground, had him sew me some nice suppressor covers for the Ultra 5, great guy to work with and here on the Hide at @Precision Underground

I already have some rear bags from TAB Gear that I like, but this Precision Underground ELR Bag has piqued my interest, having a more sticky bag and with the fill it has sounds really intriguing almost like Kinetic sand, but I've also been looking at super lightweight rear bags which is probably in the opposite direction.

MKM Turret Magnifier
    20191006_MK_Machining_001.jpg

Precision Underground Suppressor Covers
    20190119_Suppressor_Cover_PU_002.jpg

20190119_Suppressor_Cover_PU_007.jpg

Last year I bought some Seekins IRAS M-LOK plates for my Manners EH-1 stocks, I have been looking at Area 419's plates but didn't want a whole rail when I didn't need it, the IRAS allowed me an option for the many M-LOK accessories as well as adding a full rail (dovetail/arca) if and when I needed it. I had Manners install them but they said they were a royal pain so doubtful will go that route again, but Tom (Manners) does absolutely fantastic work. The plate itself has to have part of the stock milled out and then filler put it for it to be bedded properly, but man does it look good., and nice and flush too which is what I wanted.

On the "new" front I just bought some MDT 3.3" Arca plates that I've attached to the back end of the IRAS for tripod mounting, I'll post about those little wonders soon.

20190923_Seekins_IRAS_MLOK_001.jpg

20190923_Seekins_IRAS_MLOK_002.jpg

You lucky dog, my son would have loved one, but not sure I'd buy him a $300 knife :D Looks really slick.
    Would certainly make a hell of a graduation and / or significant event gift. I know when I was was younger I would’ve lost it... CE knives in my humble opinion are some treasures.

Reactions: Glassaholic

I like Precision Underground, had him sew me some nice suppressor covers for the Ultra 5, great guy to work with and here on the Hide at @Precision Underground

I already have some rear bags from TAB Gear that I like, but this Precision Underground ELR Bag has piqued my interest, having a more sticky bag and with the fill it has sounds really intriguing almost like Kinetic sand, but I've also been looking at super lightweight rear bags which is probably in the opposite direction.

MKM Turret Magnifier
    View attachment 7251982

View attachment 7251996

View attachment 7251997
    Thank you sir! Those are the original covers with the thicker cord! You are an OG! BTW make sure you are putting them on and taking them off the easiest way!

As for the lightweight bag.....we are actually about to release a light weight version. So far it’s 95% as good as the full weight! Hit me up if you want in before they are on the site. And kinetic sand is actually a decent comparison to what the classic fill is like. Not quite that sticky but when there is pressure on it it’s that sticky.

This is the beginning of a very expensive hobby.
    I got my first thermal 2 months ago, and just like that, was thrust into the world of all sorts of different colors. Black Hot, White Hot, Green, all sorts of stuff. On the bright side, it makes all my other shooting stuff seem like a bargain! If I found a thermal or NVG for the price of a Zcomp or TT I would think it was the deal of the century and would easily convince myself that I couldn't afford NOT to buy it.

I got my first thermal 2 months ago, and just like that, was thrust into the world of all sorts of different colors. Black Hot, White Hot, Green, all sorts of stuff. On the bright side, it makes all my other shooting stuff seem like a bargain! If I found a thermal or NVG for the price of a Zcomp or TT I would think it was the deal of the century and would easily convince myself that I couldn't afford NOT to buy it.

I know where you can get a deal on a pvs 14

Reactions: RS14
    I picked this up one day after seeing it posted on IG. Mandalorian themed knife from Compliance Edge. It was one of those things that speaks to you.
    Holy crap I wish that was a regular production model. I really like the size and blade shape.

Reactions: duramaxed

MKM Turret Magnifier
    View attachment 7251982

View attachment 7251996

View attachment 7251997

I want everything Precision Underground makes... They’ve got a lot of neat stuff.

I want everything Precision Underground makes... They’ve got a lot of neat stuff.

I'm getting there...after buying a 3D ELR bag with the light fill earlier tonight. I would tell him that I want a bag for my 50" rifle...but he'd probably talk me into buying it this month...and I'm already WAY over budget. I'd have to take money out of my burger and pork chop budget...and that ain't happening.

I wanted to add a portable press so that I could tweak and test loads while I’m out shooting. Ended up finding this gem.

That’s interesting. My only reservation would be having to reset dies when switching from one press to the other.

Yeah. I definitely have to do that. So far it’s been worth it to have a small form factor, high quality press. In my case, I prep all the brass ahead of time. That way I only need to trickle the powder and seat the bullet. So, I’ve only been resetting my seating die. If it ever becomes a giant beat down, I may just pick up another seating die to dedicate to it.

I know it is another piece to carry...but why not seat your bullets with a K&M arbor press....both at the bench...and at home? They work wonderfully on the bench.

Just discovered the Accurize Shooting System yesterday from a random post on IG. Not sure how long they’ve been around or if it just released, but seems like a really cool piece of training kit.

I know it is another piece to carry...but why not seat your bullets with a K&M arbor press....both at the bench...and at home? They work wonderfully on the bench.
    i was looking for something that could extend my existing kit. I already had quality dies for all the cartridges that I load. So, I wanted something where I could continue to use them. I also like that it’s a true “hand press”. I often shoot where I don’t have a bench. With this I can pop it out of my pack and do things like tweak seating depth with it sitting in my lap.

Reactions: 220wyo