• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ZeroedForImpact

Private
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2011
U.S.
Is this 100% hollywood or is there any accuracy in this?

"Cutting Edge Bullets", has them and they say their great for expanding and with heat transfer; with a high BC and match/tactical & hunting bullet best of all worlds.

Has anyone used a copper bullet that could offer any insight on the issue, thanks.

http://site.cuttingedgebullets.com/

Re: Copper Bullet

Heat transfer? Hollywood. The rest is true. But you could get that from any quality hand turned, projo that is over a buck a piece for .30 cal.
It is not magic it is precision.
Not familiar with this company and their claims though so you should find someone who has actually shot them and what weight and spin it needs.

Bryan Litz's new 2nd Edition of Applied Ballistics has a great chapter on this subject. I would not call the BC's "high"; the bullets simply don't have the sectional density to drive a high BC, although they do have good form factors. They try to make up for this by going longer, but this makes them harder to stabilize, which in turn requires a high twist rifle (which introduces spin drift). Additionally this means they have long bearing areas, which in turn drives down MV. They try to get back some of the MV with "drive bands" and to some degree this works. Finally, they are expensive. I'm not sure they are worth it compared to a well made copper jacketed bullet.

I tried the GMX and I couldn't get them to group better than about 1.5 MOA out of my 308 that shoots sub .5 with Bergers and SMKs.

If you are shooting someplace that won't allow lead, then go for it, but otherwise I'm sticking with copper jacketed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JamesBailey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bryan Litz's new 2nd Edition of Applied Ballistics has a great chapter on this subject. <span style="font-weight: bold">I would not call the BC's "high"; the bullets simply don't have the sectional density to drive a high BC, although they do have good form factors. They try to make up for this by going longer</span>, but this makes them harder to stabilize, which in turn requires a high twist rifle (which introduces spin drift). Additionally this means they have long bearing areas, which in turn drives down MV. They try to get back some of the MV with "drive bands" and to some degree this works. Finally, they are expensive. I'm not sure they are worth it compared to a well made copper jacketed bullet.

</div></div>

That's not realy true.

Copper-jacketed bullets have long since hit a ceiling on BCs. You can't go increasing weight endlessly; there's a minimum muzzle velocity to get a bullet to fly straight. Monolithic bullets solve this problem due to their lighter weight, making the negative you claimed a positive. The best solution is to increase form factors. I imagine in another 50 years long range shooters will be using monolithic bullets for 1000y benchrest, FTR, you name it, almost exclusively. The inherent problems with launching these Sears-Haack profile bullets is just another thing to be tackled by the slow process of innovation. Perhaps the solution will come when gunsmiths start using long-throated reamers and people dedicate their rifles to shooting these longer bullets exclusively.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sears–Haack_body

I'd definitely be interested in seeing why Litz is bashing VLDs, though. Without buying his book, that is. I only shoot at 600y, but spin drift has never played a factor; it's a static variable.