• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Copper Flakes

Drewdemon

Online Member
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2017
Im on my 2nd lot ever of reloading. I noticed on some cases i get copper flakes. This is happening when I'm seating the bullets (Forester press and micrometer die). I checked case and bullet concentricity post operation and i get;
Case neck .001 - .003
Bullet .002 - .004

From what i've read this is within limits but I wanted to know if this is expected, copper shaving off as i seat the bullets, or i'm doing something wrong.

Thanks

Are you not chamfering your brass?

Left is a square mouth that will shave bullets, right is chamfered to make a smooth transition in.
chamfer.jpg

I get flakes all the time from my seating die. I chamfer inside and out. I don’t worry about it much. I assume it could be fixed by polishing the stem of the die. Berger AR hybrids. Maybe other bullets wouldn’t have an issue.

I think both of the above are correct. A more aggressive inside chamfer will probably rectify it, but it's a lot easier to get flakes if you are loading cheap, plated bullets. A jacketed bullet that cost more than a quarter is going to be hard to get flakes even if you could put a tiny T-square on your case mouth.

A bit of Imperial Dry Neck Lube will also help make bullet seating easier and avoid having copper scraped off.

Reactions: Fig
I agree, I only kiss the outside of the neck to remove any possible burrs, definitely not looking to achieve a visible chamfer like that.

I wondered about that, I was always told you didn't want to end up with a sharp edge. The inside looks perfect, the outside is way too much. Like has been said, we just want to remove the bur.