• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Copper plated through supressor

jambau

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2010
PA
I've been using a 30 cal can on several guns including a 22LR. Was wondering are there potential problems shooting copper plated 22LR subsonic's through a sealed (no disassemble) can?

Short answer: I don’t know

Long answer: If it were me I would not. The copper whatever it is on 22 LR hardly seems like plating in the strict sense and more of a lubricant. I don’t see how it would stop “lead spit” getting into the can.

What material is your can made of. Meaning can you use “the dip”?

That's what I was asking. My can is a PSD Megalith made with 4150 CrMV. Please explain "the dip".

That's what I was asking. My can is a PSD Megalith made with 4150 CrMV. Please explain "the dip".

The “dip” is a 50/50 mix of common household hydrogen peroxide and white vinegar . It dissolves lead. NOT to be used on aluminum! The byproduct you are left with contains lead acetate. A VERY dangerous material that must be handled and disposed of properly through your local hazardous waste. You must not breathe the fumes or get it on your skin or clothes. This is lead that will absorb through your skin.

WTF. I think I'll pass... Thanks for the quick response.

Only you can make that decision. I do that regularly and just handle it appropriately. If you have a 3rd grade education it can be done safely.

That said, I know of now other method to clean lead from a sealed can.

I may give it a try. What's the process? Fill can let soak for a day?

I may give it a try. What's the process? Fill can let soak for a day?

Yes. I do it outside and wear nitrile gloves, long sleeve shirt, safety glasses and a canister painters mask. Be very careful of splashing. I also use glass containers.

When I am done I put kitty litter in the lead acetate, seal lid and double ziplock bag it. I then take it to my local town hazardous waste which accepts it free. Some municipalities will not so I would check first.

Yea this is dangerous stuff but it you handle it correctly and plan your steps it is easily done. Some folks do this on their office desk with no protection. Obviously I would not recommend that.

Thanks for all the info Max. I may do it at least once since I have shot the 22LR through it but then just keep it off that gun.

Reactions: Holliday
I use the DIP all the time. Be smart, careful and wear rubber gloves. Use your head and it's no big deal. I have never had an accident/spill.
0807191730.jpg
0807191730a.jpg

Check out this article. Not the most scientific approach to experimentation... but it's something to think about.

https://www.silencershop.com/blog/post/plated-22-ammo-cleaner

I've considered it in the past with an annual "dip" cleaning. Ammo hasn't gotten scarce enough for me to have the balls to do it yet, but I'm getting there.
I use the DIP all the time. Be smart, careful and wear rubber gloves. Use your head and it's no big deal. I have never had an accident/spill.
View attachment 7502193View attachment 7502194
How long are you letting the mixture in the can?

View attachment 7502193View attachment 7502194

What do you do with it when you're done? Do you have a waste disposal center nearby?

My old man's house had so many jars of hazardous waste lying when I was little it was crazy. Not looking to repeat that.

How long do you leave it in the supressor and do you rinse it out with anything special?

sweet jeebus. 22 takedown cans are cheap and readily available. I can’t come up with a good reason to shoot 22lr through a sealed can. disassemble the can and soak in boretech carbon remover overnight. Wipe off with rag. Clean as new. No haz mat...

I let mine sit overnight, I'm never in a hurry to get it done.

I rinse it off with plain tap water in my 1/2 bath sink.

I pour the mix in an old stainless steel cooking pan and let the sun evaporate it.

When I said I "use it all the time" what I mean is it's the only method I use. I did not mean I use it once a month or "frequently" in fact I probably clean the suppressor 3 - 4 times a year.

The photo shows a pickle jar being used, I now use a slim olive jar that's probably half the size in volume of the pickle jar.

In the end, people have to make their own choices.

Reactions: jambau
How long do you leave it in the supressor and do you rinse it out with anything special?

My 22 can is Thunder Beast 22 take down so about four hours. I can mechanically remove the rest by hand. Since you cannot take yours apart you may want to go longer. My understanding is that there is no action on Stainless steel so if your is fully stainless you will be fine for longer. Just make sure there is no aluminum in your can’s construction.

I rinse outside with soapy water over a container.

It helps if you know your new clean can’s dry weight. Then you can tell how much you have cleaned when it is dry.

When I do my Ultras which never get lead shot through them, I use CLR. When I am done I warm the can to 200-250° in the oven to dry it out.

This is some serious hazardous waste that handle improperly or left out for kids or animals, can have serious health consequences. Simply be responsible and be careful who you listen to.

A younger buddy of mine, a heavy shooter, got lead poisoning. It was devastating. He could not even drive his vehicle back to his home state. They never found the source. 🤔

Thanks for all the input. This can has about 100 rds. of 22LR through it. I think I'll "dip" it once for piece of mind and keep it off the 22's. As hlee spoke to I'd be better off getting another can anyway. Oh the misery...another supressor...

The Silencerco Sparrow is also Stainless Steel which is what I have. BTW, it's only 3% Hydrogen Peroxide, not like its 10% or more. Look it up.

Also, simply be responsible and be careful who you listen to. Hmm, :unsure: that'd be me. :p

Thanks for all the input. This can has about 100 rds. of 22LR through it. I think I'll "dip" it once for piece of mind and keep it off the 22's. As hlee spoke to I'd be better off getting another can anyway. Oh the misery...another supressor...

That would be my first choice for you. As I said, I have a TBAC takedown and still use the dip. If I found a better way I would forgo the dip in a heartbeat.

Some recommend tumbling in wet stainless pins but I don’t like the idea of beating my baffles with stainless pins...... Well there dammit, I have summoned the “wet Stainless pin-Jesus” folks and there will surely be hell to pay! 😱

I do not know if it is necessary to clean it after shooting 100 22LR rounds. But stop using it for 22LR.

CF suppressors take around 2-3K shots before needing a clean or where the performance may start to reduce, of course you can shoot with them a lot longer.

22LR cans take maybe 800-1200 shots until they are quite filled.

But I do not see any real reason to clean it just for the sake of 100 22LR shots through it.
Just take care of your cans regular maintenance.

As for maintenance, I plan to put my CF can into a sonic cleaner, owned by some shop or a friend.

22LR take down cans I clean by putting 5-8 drops / 2ml of motor oil in there before shooting 2-4 shots, sometimes much more, to coat it all over and let it soften the stuff over night. It makes the caking very soft, enough to just wipe 95% off with paper towel, and put the can back in business.