• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Correct Barrel Twist-6mm 115DTAC or 107SMK

2Shots

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 19, 2011
So Indiana
I keep running my bullet stability software and it tells me to run a 7 twist on these bullets in the 2800 to 2950 fps range for my .243 build. I can find lots of 8.5, 8, 7.5 twist barrels but no 7 twist. What are you 6mm guys running? Seems awful fast to me.

Re: Correct Barrel Twist-6mm 115DTAC or 107SMK

Too fast a twist and too slow velocity. 26" 7.5 twist 115 dtacs should be right around 3k without issue.

42 grains of h4350, br2 primers, lapua brass, HBN coated Dtacs, mag length=no pressure signs...but I would not go any heavier with the powder.

No Problems with 7.5 or 7.75 with DTACS.

I have a box of both the coated and uncoated DTAC bullets, should I be aware of any difference when I load?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Too fast a twist and too slow velocity. 26" 7.5 twist 115 dtacs should be right around 3k without issue. </div></div>

This.

I'm running molyed 115DTACs @ 3070fps easy from a 26" Rock 5R, 1:7.5" twist. GAP Match chamber...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2shots</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a box of both the coated and uncoated DTAC bullets, should I be aware of any difference when I load? </div></div>

It has been my experience that uncoated actually run a little faster with the same load and no more pressure. The only reason I use the coated is that a buddy gave me a couple thousand when I built my .243. YMMV.

I thought the whole reason for running the moly is less friction so more velocity. Or maybe since its lower friction it's less pressure, so less velocity. I'm confused.

I've shot 115's with an 8-twist with no issues. But theoretically in cold temperatures near sealevel, the 8-twist could become marginal. A 7.75-twist will put you in the safe zone under all conditions.