• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cost Alternative to 130gr Hornady SST?

USGILT

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2007
KS, Leavenworth
All, I am currently running the following set up below. Wondering if anyone could suggest a cost alternative projectile for practice that will generally perform in accuracy similar to the Hornady SST’s. Hornady 130 grain SST’s run about $25 per 100.

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Rifle:</span></span> Tika T3 .270 WSM - Zeroed for 200yrds
<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Preferred Round</span></span> - 130 grain Hornady SST loaded with 57 grains of IMR 4350

Thanks,

USGILT

Re: Cost Alternative to 130gr Hornady SST?

Am I understanding correctly that you want a less expensive bullet with the same accuracy qualities of the Hornady SST?

Hornady sells the least expensive of the big 3 "match" bullet producers. Getting a Sierra or Berger that performs similarly is going to cost more.

You might have more luck buying 500 of them at a clip from a place like Grafs, but even my dealer price at Grafs is $22.39/100 without shipping. By the time I got them in hand and then shipped them to you I doubt I could do better than about $25-26 a box if you bought 500-1000 of them and all I'd be doing is buying it and you reimbursing me directly for my costs, nothing involved in my time to do so. Small quantities would not be possible.

If you switched to the 110gr BTHP then I can help you out to the tune of about $23/box by the time they showed up to your door. I don't know how they'd shoot though. Again, that's min quantity of 500.

Remington has a 115gr FMJBT offering that runs $18/100 if you buy 500 at once, but by the time I get it and turn it out to you, you're still looking at ~ 22/box for something that is not going to perform as well. If you bought 1000 of them the price would be $21/box.

Long story short, you are getting a very good price on that bullet and shooting a WSM inherently costs more than shooting a 308 for a multitude of reasons, not least of which is the fact that it's not a military caliber and the annual production quantities are significantly less, so the per shot prices are inherently higher.

Appreciate the information. I was looking for something that was not exactly as accurate but similar enough that I would not have to change my zero. I am guessing a 110 or 115 grain projectile at 200yards would have some significant deviation to it.

You might be able to find a 115 grain 6.8 bullet for a little less. But, the SST is priced very well. I would stick with it. I run the SST for my huntnig 270 Win, and it is a great bullet to shoot. I'd stick with it, since you won't find anything less than that for what you get.