• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Cost for new barrel install/action truing?

3-0-hate

Captain Nimcompoop
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2011
Lost in Idaho...
Just wondering what kind of prices I should be looking at for a top-shelf barrel (Broughton 5C, Shilen, Hart, etc) cut and installed in my M98 (VZ24) action, as well as truing up the action if needed (has had previous work)

I also need a new bolt handle welded on, with a bigger, longer knob. Also thinking about having the top of the receiver milled and drilled to accept the Rem 700 LA scope bases...That would seriously make my life eleventy-billion times easier.

Looking to do a 6.5x55 Swede. Its currently chambered in 7.62x51

Thanks!

I bought a Rock Creek to put on my 700. The barrel cost about 350 from Southern Precision in Florida. The for thread, chamber and crown was 350 to include install. Muzzle break install was another 150 (not including break). Since your in LA look into Bain and Davis so far they are taking pretty good care of me. I looked into R&D but his back log was too long.

new barrel...bartline 375,
thread, chamber, install, 200-300 (add another 100 for muzzle threading)
knob and install, 100
truing action, 200+

My last go around was Bartlein blank $355. True action, thread barrel, chamber and crown $415

Any specific reason you're going with the M98 action over others?

Also what barrel contour are you considering?

Any specific reason you're going with the M98 action over others?

Also what barrel contour are you considering?

I have a VZ24 action laying around. It has sentimental value and I really like the M98 pattern actions.

Im looking into something along the lines of a medium palma or heavy varmint style contour.

This is helpful.. Thank you!

Where did you have the work done?

For this one I used John Beagle out of Ridgefield, Wa.
For an earlier build I used the owner of DBMG out of Kent, Wa. He was even cheaper. $325 for the same work plus threading the muzzle. But he might be super busy right now since he got the contract to build the 5.7 ARs for FNH.

Are you still doing Mauser work? I also am starting a Mauser project based on a Model 1924 (intermediate length large ring M98). I am looking for someone in SoCal to machine my blank barrel and mount the barrel on my receiver

One piece of advise use Murphy or ken Farrell bases rather than modifying a mauser to accept a 700 base

Thanks for the input. Does anyone know where I can find a good stock for a Model 1924 Mauser?

I would be careful grinding the action to accept 700 bases as the Mauser 98's are surface hardened and you will probably grind through that.