• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

84bandit

I count bullets
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2013
West Point NY
I have been considering this for a while but I wanted to get the Hide's opinion. I like the HSGI Tacos since I can swap between my AR-10 and AR-15 mags when training. I generally run a pistol as well, so I like the design so I can carry a flashlight and my pistols mags in 1 place. I spend a lot of time in a truck during work so a warbelt is less than ideal, plus I find that they generally rub when I have an IOTV on.

My only real concern is that the strap on this leg rig will rub in the inner thigh or flop around, but with the high riding design this leg rig supposedly fixes most of those issues.

So benefits:
multifunctional
great for training
use as a speed reload source
can use it on the job

Problems:
cannot reconfigure pouches
Rubs?

Anybody own one of these and care to chime in?

Ah... the Costa Kool Aid.... I like grape - what is your favorite flavor?

Sub-loads are passé for reason. A decade or so ago I ran sub loads (SafariLand Shroud with 3 pouches for AR mags) that I cut the strap on and raised up just like all the kool kids do with their SL 6004s.

Sub loads look cool on a square range. Not some much elsewhere.

The salesman in the video Chris Costa's Drop Leg Rig - YouTube discusses how this is for square range but then says something about how he doesn't run around in public with a war belt... Well, if we're working with what we 'run around with' most of us talking about cc carry (translation - we learn to work rifle mags from our pants pockets) and completely jocked up.

*I* see no place for this.

Last edited:
Try a 6k infil with one of those. Oh wait costa was in the coast guard. just more mall ninja kit

Tough crowd. Honcho thanks for your comments (btw I don't drink the kool aid unless it is worth buying, which is why I haven't bought one yet)

Costa's service/ mall ninja comments have nothing to do with the topic; so lets try to be constructive. If I wanted people telling me about airsoft and mall ninjas I would go to AR15.com

At least it isnt a double strap drop leg rig that resides way down on your knee. I see lots of guys with those...wtf nothing you need, or that has any weight to it, belongs down there.

I will say the coast guard does have a pretty tactical unit that does quite a bit of CQB. that aside, his service is not what makes him looked up to, it's the fact that he has the ability to teach it in a way even the most inexperienced can learn from. That is something you cannot get from even the most seasoned combat veterans.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

If you want a drop mag pouch with TACOs, look at the Raven concealment ModuLoader System. No leg strap, can be used with a standard belt,

ModuLoader System

I recently bought one of these . I've used it a couple times and it does everything I need it to do.It's put together well and comfortable loaded up. Just cuz its not what the cool kids are using doesn't mean it doesn't work. It's not for everybody , its all about preference!

Sent from my SCH-I605

I like the HSGI gear and my drop leg holster has a mesh like wide piece that doesn't rub with my HK or 1911 in it, don't know about the Costa accessory

Some short guys will run the high ride subload since their plates reach down to their belt line. If you have the ability to load what you need on your belt or chest rig I would go with that. There are so many cons to running loads or holsters on your leg. Then again, it all depends on what your doing. Try to consider all aspects of your job before you decide to go to a drop leg.

what I have just seen cannot be unseen. He spent a whole minute talking about the taco holster. then he said he doesn't go in public with a war belt, well I bet he doesn't go in public with a leg holster either.. dickhead...

My advice to the OP, buy a "war belt" configure it the way you like. train with the belt on the range and for combat (going to assume you are Army by your location) and then train with a concealed holster for out in public.

P.S. why the fuck did I see a man in a hood shooting a pistol from the woods, and a 50cal on top of a shitty car? somebody get me some acid so I can rinse my eyes...

*I* see no place for this. AGREED

Last edited:
I run this drop leg kit for quick training sections. It does NOT take the place of a battle belt (I also run the hsgi belt). This is simply a place for additional ammo if you are running a simple belt. Regardless what I am wearing that day, I can throw this on just to have spare mags with me.

Also if you are running a plate carrier sometimes a war belt is cumbersome for certain positions (pushes up on carrier). So I can run the drop leg to supplement the pouches on the carrier. More of a "slick" setup. It has it's place.

what I have just seen cannot be unseen. He spent a whole minute talking about the taco holster. then he said he doesn't go in public with a war belt, well I bet he doesn't go in public with a leg holster either.. dickhead...

My advice to the OP, buy a "war belt" configure it the way you like. train with the belt on the range and for combat (going to assume you are Army by your location) and then train with a concealed holster for out in public.

P.S. why the fuck did I see a man in a hood shooting a pistol from the woods, and a 50cal on top of a shitty car? somebody get me some acid so I can rinse my eyes...

*I* see no place for this. AGREED

While Im not a fan of a drop leg anything the irony of the above is that a lot of guys feel the same way about a "war belt" as you two feel about this leg rig.