• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision COTI optimal mode/settings for detection hunting

ToKeepAndBear

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2011
Chattanooga, TN
I have been using my COTI on patrol and outline modes with factory setting for a few months. I thought I remember reading somewhere that others have improved performance with some adjustments to factory settings.

What settings have you found work best for detection without a lot of “noise” for coyote hunting? I have been scanning with 1531s + COTI. After detection, I have a laser + PVS-24 with a Henny 3-12x56 and a 3 degree Kiji for ID.

Thanks!

It was a rainy and muddy night of coyote hunting last night, dark conditions - 1/4 moon obscured by clouds and rain. I was letting my buddy use my Reap-IR and the thermal conditions were great the last time we went hunting. This time he said he couldn't see many features except the animals. I told him that was normal given the heavy rain and small temp change we had day into night.

In these conditions, I was pretty impressed with the COTI on my 1531s. I used outline mode and had gain dialed up to just get a hint of the circle. With the NV, I could still see the terrain features easily and the COTI allowed me to detect deer out to around 400 yards. I have found the trick is to not use any IR light during the detection stage and then flip on my head or rifle mounted illuminator after detecting something. Also, not scanning too quickly seems to help as well. The larger field of view sure is nice for scanning.

With these settings I was able to easily detect a coyote coming in off my left side last night at around 150 yards. I transitioned to the clipon for positive ID and dropped him at 200 yards. The COTI also worked well for pointing out game on the way to our stand site. Multiple deer, rabbits, coons, and cattle were spotted and pointed out to my friend.

If anybody else has any tips on optimizing the COTI for hunting post your thoughts. Thanks

I have been using my COTI on patrol and outline modes with factory setting for a few months. I thought I remember reading somewhere that others have improved performance with some adjustments to factory settings.

What settings have you found work best for detection without a lot of “noise” for coyote hunting? I have been scanning with 1531s + COTI. After detection, I have a laser + PVS-24 with a Henny 3-12x56 and a 3 degree Kiji for ID.

Thanks!
Are you running the COTI on the focus ring using the pvs14 mount? @SierraLima at one point designed kick ass mounts to go over the housing. I keep meaning to get something to work because I don't want to break my 1531 rings and it causes it to go out of focus.

I placed an o-ring I had for an airgun in the groove between the focus ring and housing. I used the PVS-14 mount that came with the COTI. The o-ring provides enough drag that the COTI does not change the focus as easily.

What are these mounts that you mentioned for the 1531? I am not familiar with it.

Reactions: NHPiper
Steve had custom designed them but the designs got lost. Someone should make a run of them. Safran is in NH and told me in a visit they were designing their own, however, all the focus on the ECOTI so I think their plans to make new housing rings for the older COTI to use on the 1531 fell to the wayside.

All I did was model a new ring for the 1531. I had a hard drive crash that lost that model but it could be remade.

@SierraLima Do you have a metal mount for InfiRay Jerry C to BNVD-1531? Sorry for late post, just found thread in search
I don't. I could design one/have it machined but it would likely be expensive. Ive never had a jerryC, is the mount the same as the pas29 coti?