• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Coup De Grâce, New Action from American Rifle Company, $899 WOW!

And let's get really real here. It's feed ramp. That dimension is the loosest in the whole system.

How else would you do it with a depth mic?
That’s what I’m saying, a depth mic is a bad way to get that measurement.

I am just wondering why all these people are buying gauge balls, how are they going to measure it? Most guys have a set of harbor freight calipers at best.

That’s what I’m saying, a depth mic is a bad way to get that measurement.

I am just wondering why all these people are buying gauge balls, how are they going to measure it? Most guys have a set of harbor freight calipers at best.
A depth mic is the most convenient and cheapest way to get an accurate and repeatable measurement.

A peice of tubing with faced ends will work similar to the PMA tool with a depth mic

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230526_145145_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230526_145145_Chrome.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 113
A depth mic is the most convenient and cheapest way to get an accurate and repeatable measurement.
So how exactly are you going to take a measurement from the top of a 1.25" sphere and measure down to a barrel shoulder that is likely 1.25" or smaller?

I am just wondering how all these people I see posting about buying the gauge ball are planning to use it?

with a barrel help vertically, Two gage blocks on either side of the tenon up against the shoulder will provide a flat surface for which you can use a depth mic. I dont have any gage blocks or the correct size ball bearing on hand and instead for photo purposes had to use a stone and scrap bolt knob, but you get the idea.

Attachments

• IMG_20230526_203232.jpg
    IMG_20230526_203232.jpg
    884.5 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Reactions: Tokay444 and lash
So um…did anyone ask about the hunter version of these actions recently? I would hope they go into production prior to the LH models going out to those heathens.

• Haha
Reactions: lash
So um…did anyone ask about the hunter version of these actions recently? I would hope they go into production prior to the LH models going out to those heathens.
Why would a version of the action that isnt even a napkin sketch yet go into production before leftys?

Agreed, leftys are barbarians.

Reactions: bacon4bfast
If you have the barrel mounted in the lathe chuck you could set the ball and zero out an indicator at the highest point on the ball then move the carriage of the lathe till the indicator zero's out on the face of the barrel. Then use a DRO or a carriage mounted indicator to read the measurement.

Why would a version of the action that isnt even a napkin sketch yet go into production before leftys?

Agreed, leftys are barbarians.

It seems like you answered your own question.

Kidding aside, I was only hoping to hear if anyone happened to have any information in casual conversation with ARC since it was mentioned a long time ago.

I had a thought to rebarrel my current hunter to a new caliber and it would be a good excuse to sell it and build a better rifle.

It seems like you answered your own question.

Kidding aside, I was only hoping to hear if anyone happened to have any information in casual conversation with ARC since it was mentioned a long time ago.

I had a thought to rebarrel my current hunter to a new caliber and it would be a good excuse to sell it and build a better rifle.
When I spoke to them a few weeks ago, it was nothing more than a Hide request.

So how exactly are you going to take a measurement from the top of a 1.25" sphere and measure down to a barrel shoulder that is likely 1.25" or smaller?

I am just wondering how all these people I see posting about buying the gauge ball are planning to use it?
Do you need me to draw you a pic?

A copper reducer fitting ( 1 1/16 to 1.375 ) , ping pong ball, and tape measure will get you pretty close, no ?

Reactions: Tokay444
Has anyone bore scoped or removed a fired barrel? I now have ~120 rounds on my 22GT and it appears the coned breach is quite pitted from bullet tips. I’ll need to remove the barrel to take a closer look.

Has anyone bore scoped or removed a fired barrel? I now have ~120 rounds on my 22GT and it appears the coned breach is quite pitted from bullet tips. I’ll need to remove the barrel to take a closer look.

Pitted breech face from bullet tips? Are you using some of those fancy new bullets with abrasive ceramic alumina tips?

I have a conical breech on another rifle with 2k rounds or so through it, and the conical breech face is still perfectly smooth but always shows some light mark off and copper colored tracks from bullet tips contacting it during feeding-- and those marks wipe right off with solvent on a patch.

Post pics of the breech face... I'm sure I'm not the only one with questions wanting more info.

Reactions: Baron23 and lash
I've removed my fired barrel a couple times. No issues with the coned breech. Are you sure it's actually pitting? Honestly I don't see how that could happen.

It defies reason that a copper or plastic tipped bullet would damage barrel steel in 120 rounds. When I chambered my barrel, I polished it to a mirror. Still looks like that at 100 rds. Im shooting standard match bullets.

Made me look. 125 on mine.
@bohem - looks like you may need to go .005 or so deeper with the cone.
I can’t feel this at all, but it barely touched.

In my case I’d bet it’s just kissing as the extractor pops over the case head. I know it’s CRF, but just shot a match where we had to single load 10 over an empty mag. For all those it had to snap over rim.
image.jpg

Reactions: S3th
So he is chambered just a little deep? Cut the shoulder back and the conical breach the same amount deeper?
No, the cone is too shallow, and that picture shows that it can be cut substantially deeper (~.015) and still not expose the web of the case.

When I chambered my barrel, I cut the cone until the extractor was clear plus .002 or so. Then I chambered the barrel so it would touch on my Go gauge(so chamber was Go plus nothing). Then I inserted a cartridge case to check protrusion. What I saw was exactly what s3th posted in the pic, so i cut the cone deeper .015-.020(dont remember exactly).

In my case I’d bet it’s just kissing as the extractor pops over the case head. I know it’s CRF, but just shot a match where we had to single load 10 over an empty mag. For all those it had to snap over rim.
View attachment 8150791
Actually its not that. That portion of the extractor pivots out of the way when the case is underneath it. By out of the way I mean that face of the extractor matches the cone engle. It doesn't match the angle when theres no case. You can see this in the ARC drawings.

Its actually possible that S3th and yours only touch when the chamber is empty.

View attachment 8150791
Sharpie up the shiny spot on the extractor and chamber a round, ill bet it will clear and the sharpie will remain. Either way, have it fixed, it will only feed better the further out you push the cone.

Im not a gunsmith but what if you polished on the backside of the extractor, take a .001 off, it might not hit the cone.