• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Coup De Grâce, New Action from American Rifle Company, $899 WOW!

Back to our regularly scheduled program.

I need some education about the CDG and bottom metal.

My understanding is as follows:

AICS magazines should be fine and they fit standard DBM bottom metal.
AW magazines should be fine for bottom metal with a long latch.
Hawkins Hunter DBM will not work.

For a hunting rifle that leads me to BDL bottom metal. Will any work with the CDG or is my best option AW five-round magazines In DBM bottom metal with a long latch?

Back to our regularly scheduled program.

I need some education about the CDG and bottom metal.

My understanding is as follows:

AICS magazines should be fine and they fit standard DBM bottom metal.
AW magazines should be fine for bottom metal with a long latch.
Hawkins Hunter DBM will not work.

For a hunting rifle that leads me to BDL bottom metal. Will any work with the CDG or is my best option AW five-round magazines In DBM bottom metal with a long latch?
The action has no feed lips, so BDL wouldn't work(at least not off the shelf). Is there such a thing as a AW 5 rd mag?

Wyatt makes center feed magazine boxes.
Wondering if that might work.

I believe Accurate Mag makes a 5 round AW. Five round AICS exist.
The Accurate Mag 5-round mag is a dssf mag, but not a true AW magazine.

1688588563864.png

What run of the mill bore guides fit the CDG? I'm not talking about the fancy custom made ones, but whatever big name company is available at Brownells. Being in Europe, there is not a lot of selection here. For example, has anybody tried the Ruger/Shooter's Choice/Tipton universal bore guides?

What run of the mill bore guides fit the CDG? I'm not talking about the fancy custom made ones, but whatever big name company is available at Brownells. Being in Europe, there is not a lot of selection here. For example, has anybody tried the Ruger/Shooter's Choice/Tipton universal bore guides?
I have tried the Tipton, I would never recommend it. For one it really only prevents solvent from coming out of the chamber and it is mediocre at that as it doesn’t have an o ring to seal it. Additionally the ID is too big to keep the cleaning rod centered. It’s a waste of money IMO. I have not used the others and couldn’t find one commercially available that fits better and actually acts as a bore guide. I ended up going with the custom option from mike Lucas

Reactions: Ichi
Can you get a TRG sized bore guide in Europe? That should fit the CDG.

Reactions: padfoot 37
I think I will just use a standard Dewey rod guide that I already have and have my machine shop guy cut me a custom collar in the right bolt diameter. That will probably be the cheapest option.

I think I will just use a standard Dewey rod guide that I already have and have my machine shop guy cut me a custom collar in the right bolt diameter. That will probably be the cheapest option.
When I asked ARC this question, this was their response:

The bolts are 20.8mm in diameter and the receiver bore is 21mm. I don't know of a specific manufacturer that makes them in that size.You could try Dewey. Also, the Ruger American Rifle uses a similar bolt diameter, which they advertise their Universal Bore guide will fit.
Like others in this thread, I had Mike Lucas make two CDG bore guides for me.

Reactions: Schütze
Anyone done a .224 Valkyrie on the action? If so what magazine are you using? Thinking about one to go with my AR in the cartridge.

Follow up on trigger setting. I decided to try a bix N andy trigger that I got at a good price.
Managed to set it at 3oz pivoting handle, no issues with slamming the bolt hard, maybe I'm lucky or that trigger just works.
I did have to file the trigger inlet in the manners a bit to make it fit. Happy so far! just need a barrel now.

The cocking piece only moves .001 inch on closing, verified with an indicator.

Follow up on trigger setting. I decided to try a bix N andy trigger that I got at a good price.
Managed to set it at 3oz pivoting handle, no issues with slamming the bolt hard, maybe I'm lucky or that trigger just works.
I did have to file the trigger inlet in the manners a bit to make it fit. Happy so far! just need a barrel now.

The cocking piece only moves .001 inch on closing, verified with an indicator.
I set my trigger with .007 difference on close. In my mind that is the easiest way to setup the trigger hanger. Doing it by feel seems like guessing.

Reactions: Donkey hote
I set my trigger with .007 difference on close. In my mind that is the easiest way to setup the trigger hanger. Doing it by feel seems like guessing.
Cock or decock?

I have .005” cock on close and .258” pin fall. I don’t have any concerns for ignition consistency.

I have .005” cock on close and .258” pin fall. I don’t have any concerns for ignition consistency.
Now you made me go out and check it. I have .005 cock on close and .246 pin fall. Measuring with a digital caliper so not too accurate. If you had a depth micrometer it would be easier to get a good reading and dial it in.

On closing the bolt handle, i didn't measure the pin fall yet , i guess will now. Not that I can change it , I have a dial depth mike...
It feels really smooth and light, maybe very slightly heavier than my archemedes.

Definitely easier than changing cocking pieces on the Remington.....

Last edited:
When I asked ARC this question, this was their response:

The bolts are 20.8mm in diameter and the receiver bore is 21mm. I don't know of a specific manufacturer that makes them in that size.You could try Dewey. Also, the Ruger American Rifle uses a similar bolt diameter, which they advertise their Universal Bore guide will fit.
Like others in this thread, I had Mike Lucas make two CDG bore guides for me.
My Steyr bolt is 21mm so bore guides for them should work.

My Steyr bolt is 21mm so bore guides for them should work.
I may try to place a couple of orings around my Remington guide, may work..... If not I have to make my own, did it for my 22rimfire.
Not sure what caliber barrel I put on yet., still undecided. 6mm or 6.5mm.

Reactions: 357Max
On closing the bolt handle, i didn't measure the pin fall yet , i guess will now. Not that I can change it , I have a dial depth mike...
It feels really smooth and light, maybe very slightly heavier than my archemedes.

Definitely easier than changing cocking pieces on the Remington.....
Checked pin fall, .250, .251

Now you made me go out and check it. I have .005 cock on close and .246 pin fall. Measuring with a digital caliper so not too accurate. If you had a depth micrometer it would be easier to get a good reading and dial it in.
I’ll bring my depth mic home.

you guys are talking about pin fall and cock on close. I really hope its not that much work to set up. Ted made it look really easy in the video

you guys are talking about pin fall and cock on close. I really hope its not that much work to set up. Ted made it look really easy in the video
It is that easy, but I was worrying about the trigger setting being lower than what Ted recommended., and causing slamfires.
I like low trigger force setting for the way I use my rifles, and just shared my experience in case somebody may benefit from it.
I'm a bit OCD about the way my rifles set, and have the tools and skills to make it work for me.