• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Coup De Grâce, New Action from American Rifle Company, $899 WOW!

My only gripe in less than 50rds of use is the bolt to body clearance . Clearance is there for a reason , but i still dont like it. However, its nothing that cant be fixed with a couple welds and a surface grinder.

For the price of what some people pay for knives and backpacks, its an incredible deal.
Cylindrical grinder?

• Haha
Reactions: Schütze
Surface grinders grind things flat.

Guys. I’m not saying this is a bad action at all. It’s a good one and most likely the best for the purpose if using a short action and AW mags. It comes in at a good price point which is why it is so popular. If this thing goes up to $1400 like all the rest, it does not stand out from the others in any way other than short action AW mag compatibility out the box and it does look unique which I like.

For the guys asking, I’ve either had or used Curtis, Zermatt, and Defiance. All are nice as is the CDG. This is how mine sits as of now.

05C996D4-D81F-496C-9A41-B9B1155E74FC.jpeg

Fair enough, just goes to show how wildly different opinions can be.

I currently have a Curtis Valor, Terminus Zeus, Badger M2013, Deadline 2, Impact 737, Nucleus, Mausingfield, Archimedes, and an AT… and if they were all the same price I’m taking the CDG. That tunable trigger hanger is just so good.

Fair enough, just goes to show how wildly different opinions can be.

I currently have a Curtis Valor, Terminus Zeus, Badger M2013, Deadline 2, Impact 737, Nucleus, Mausingfield, Archimedes, and an AT… and if they were all the same price I’m taking the CDG. That tunable trigger hanger is just so good.
I’ve never had a use for the adjustable trigger hanger. Everything always worked fine as the action come. I did blue loctite everything in this one to lessen the chance of anything moving.

You are right, opinions are like you know what. Everybody has one. 😂

I was able to pick up my Coup de Grace today. LA, mag bolt face. Turns out it is just another action that has been far overhyped especially in this thread. The bolt lift kinda sucks. It does have a unique look though. Is this the action that destroys all others………no.
I would be interested in it if you want to move on from it!

There isn't a more beautiful or interesting action on the market, anywhere, at any price. The market is full of minimum-viable options, and technically-great-but-soulless things like the Solus. Beauty is a thing of great value.

Reactions: Donkey hote
Surface grinders grind things flat.

They can grind whatever shape you need.

My point was that if i wanted to tighten things up, lay a few weld beads and grind them to fit the body. Id never do that and it was meant as a joke. instead, id probably just make a new oversized bolt.

Attachments

• 20231214_152935.jpg
    20231214_152935.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 115
Reactions: godofthunder
There isn't a more beautiful or interesting action on the market, anywhere, at any price. The market is full of minimum-viable options, and technically-great-but-soulless things like the Solus. Beauty is a thing of great value.
Beautiful and interesting?
Lol

Idk, the CDG is a good action, innovative and highly competitive in this current market. The biggest draw is the aw mag design on the short action, the long action is nothing special other than the hanger. I still prefer my Archimedes/arc mags in 6gt and 25cm over the CDG/aw mags in 6bra and 65cm. Just me......the archimedes is smoother, lighter bolt lift, and requires no coned breech. My archimedes does have serval thousand rounds through it, so it should be smoother. But it's never missed a beat, never jammed, never failed to extract, never a hiccup one. Personally I was sad to see them go, and will likely snag one up if I find one available second hand.

Reactions: st1650
They can grind whatever shape you need.

My point was that if i wanted to tighten things up, lay a few weld beads and grind them to fit the body. Id never do that and it was meant as a joke. instead, id probably just make a new oversized bolt.
If you can make the shape you want out of flat facets, yeah, I guess.

What was the issue with the conical breech? I think it’s great - one giant chamfer/feed ramp. I wouldn’t be surprised if we see more manufacturers following suit (not that I’m saying ARC invented the conical breech..)

I love my Archimedes too, but I do hate the bolt release, and the crazy play when the bolt is all the way to the rear. To me the CDG is just an Archimedes with a better bolt release, AW mags, tunable hanger and factory fluted.

Idk, the CDG is a good action, innovative and highly competitive in this current market. The biggest draw is the aw mag design on the short action, the long action is nothing special other than the hanger. I still prefer my Archimedes/arc mags in 6gt and 25cm over the CDG/aw mags in 6bra and 65cm. Just me......the archimedes is smoother, lighter bolt lift, and requires no coned breech. My archimedes does have serval thousand rounds through it, so it should be smoother. But it's never missed a beat, never jammed, never failed to extract, never a hiccup one. Personally I was sad to see them go, and will likely snag one up if I find one available second hand.

Reactions: lash
What was the issue with the conical breech? I think it’s great - one giant chamfer/feed ramp. I wouldn’t be surprised if we see more manufacturers following suit (not that I’m saying ARC invented the conical breech..)

I love my Archimedes too, but I do hate the bolt release, and the crazy play when the bolt is all the way to the rear. To me the CDG is just an Archimedes with a better bolt release, AW mags, tunable hanger and factory fluted.
Idk, I've shot my archimedes a lot, poor conditions, dust dirt rain snow. Never missed a beat. That slop in the rear the bolt movement is so that you can side load it and it still run clean and smooth even with a bunch of dirt or junk in the race ways. Cdg wont do that. My CDG gut pretty dang gummy on me after two stages where the wind/dust kicked up and blew dirt into my rifle. I had to pull the bolt and get a brush out and clean the action/bolt for it to run smooth. I don't oil or grease my actions other than a TINY amount of white grease on the lugs, that's it. I need to put more rounds through it. Currently I'll take my broke in Arch over the CDG any day.

Idk, I've shot my archimedes a lot, poor conditions, dust dirt rain snow. Never missed a beat. That slop in the rear the bolt movement is so that you can side load it and it still run clean and smooth even with a bunch of dirt or junk in the race ways. Cdg wont do that. My CDG gut pretty dang gummy on me after two stages where the wind/dust kicked up and blew dirt into my rifle. I had to pull the bolt and get a brush out and clean the action/bolt for it to run smooth. I don't oil or grease my actions other than a TINY amount of white grease on the lugs, that's it. I need to put more rounds through it. Currently I'll take my broke in Arch over the CDG any day.
I've been wondering how this new action stacks up against the tried and true other ARC actions. I honestly believe they hit a home run with the nucleus and Archimedes and I think it's a shame they discontinued the 2. The nucleus seems so simple designed with no parts. Nothing to really go down basically a claw and that's it unless the whole firing spring broke. I almost grabbed the new cdg but didn't like all the extra springs and ball bearings everywhere. But yet to see one in person.

Reactions: LR1845
I've been wondering how this new action stacks up against the tried and true other ARC actions. I honestly believe they hit a home run with the nucleus and Archimedes and I think it's a shame they discontinued the 2. The nucleus seems so simple designed with no parts. Nothing to really go down basically a claw and that's it unless the whole firing spring broke. I almost grabbed the new cdg but didn't like all the extra springs and ball bearings everywhere. But yet to see one in person.
Hopefully within the next month or so I'll have mine up and running and we can get together to shoot. Just waiting on that shipping notification now.

Hopefully within the next month or so I'll have mine up and running and we can get together to shoot. Just waiting on that shipping notification now.
Yeah that sounds great I'd like to compare. Yeah you should be close I've seen a few la lapua for sale so there getting shipped

If you can make the shape you want out of flat facets, yeah, I guess.
Actually, he's right. It's how precision gage pins are made. Part is held in a rotating fixture then turned as grinder wheel spins. I think he was being factious - it'd be ridiculous way to sleeve a bolt and to bring this back to topic, there's nothing wrong with the CDG's bolt to body clearance. Mine runs as smoothly as any of the best actions I've owned.

1702764168528.jpeg

1702764185472.jpeg

Actually, he's right. It's how precision gage pins are made. Part is held in a rotating fixture then turned as grinder wheel spins. I think he was being factious - it'd be ridiculous way to sleeve a bolt and to bring this back to topic, there's nothing wrong with the CDG's bolt to body clearance. Mine runs as smoothly as any of the best actions I've owned.

View attachment 8298163
View attachment 8298164
What surface grinder is that?

View attachment 8298163
View attachment 8298164

Yes, I was being facetious and yes, round parts can be ground on a surface grinder .

Reactions: Praeger and lash
Yes, I was being facetious and yes, round parts can be ground on a surface grinder .
But it's a lot easier in a Northfield air chuck or between centers. I run that machines big brother, an s41 using oil for coolant, at work. I don't make gage pins but I do make aerospace parts down to +/- 0.0001". Lots out of 15-5, most out of inconel, and sometimes out of Mar m 247 (it sucks).

What surface grinder is that?
It's a BEMA Maschinen FSM 260, a German machine. The screen shots were from Stefen Gotteswinter's YouTube channel. He was grinding a bevel on the spindle of a tube micrometer to be used specifically for case neck thickness measurements. Many micrometers have a carbide tipped spindle that would be very difficult to machine using single point cutting on a lathe - it is too hard and brittle.

Here's one of his videos explaining cylindrical grinding on a surface grinder. He's using an older LIP 515 surface grinder.

Virtually all all high precision round/tapered/spherical parts are finished on a surface grinder. It's a common misconception that surface grinders only produce flat surfaces.

Last edited:
It's a BEMA Maschinen FSM 260, a German machine. The screen shots were from Stefen Gotteswinter's YouTube channel.

Here's one of his videos explaining cylindrical grinding on a surface grinder. He's using an older LIP 515 surface grinder.

Virtually all all high precision round/tapered/spherical parts are finished on a surface grinder. It's a common misconception that surface grinders only produce flat surfaces.

If you cylindrical grind on a surface grinder, are you surface grinding or cylindrical grinding? 🤔

Reactions: LeftyJason
If you cylindrical grind on a surface grinder, are you surface grinding or cylindrical grinding? 🤔
I'll leave the semantics to professional machinists, but I'd say the tool is a surface grinder, the process in this instance is cylindrical grinding. So if it helps, you can say it's cylindrical grinding using a surface grinder. Surface isn't limited to flat.

If they discontinued the Nuke Gen 2 and the Archmedes in favour of only producing the CDG then I think it’s a mistake. I have all 3 and they all have their strengths. For example I wanted a 223 with a TT Diamond set at 4oz and the Nuke is a much better fit than a CDG. It feeds and cycle like a dream no matter what speed I run the bolt and it works with all my plastic MDT mags.
I do think the CDG shines better in the short action with AW mags.

I did not realize they had discontinued the Nuke G2 till just now. Can no longer be ordered WTF. I agree with @st1650, the Nuke was the better way to go IMO for none AW mag applications such as 223. I built a G2 Nuke 223 early this year and it feeds like butter from an Accurate mag.

Maybe they have just dedicated all machining Centers to CDG production for now???

American rifle company told me a few months back that basically going to put all effort into the CDG action and no longer will make the nucleus gen 2 but they will have spare parts and whatever is needed. But nucleus and Archimedes actions are gone. I think it was a huge mistake but I'm just one person. I love my nucleus gen 2 but I am selling it not because they discontinued it but I moved to a Bat and lapua bolt face.

I actually had a few people decide not to buy my action because they stopped making it.

Reactions: st1650
If they discontinued the Nuke Gen 2 and the Archmedes in favour of only producing the CDG then I think it’s a mistake. I have all 3 and they all have their strengths. For example I wanted a 223 with a TT Diamond set at 4oz and the Nuke is a much better fit than a CDG. It feeds and cycle like a dream no matter what speed I run the bolt and it works with all my plastic MDT mags.
I do think the CDG shines better in the short action with AW mags.
Why can’t you do that with a CDG? Just use the fixed bolt handle exactly like your Nuc.

Why can’t you do that with a CDG? Just use the fixed bolt handle exactly like your Nuc.
Because then you might as well do a Nuke with a better feeding system and you don't have to adjust your DBM height or modify your magazines. Also the CDG doesn't support MDT Polymer magazines which are great for 223 with lots of freebore, most of my 223 loads are in the 2.515-2.535 coal range.

If you search this thread or others, it's a common complain that some CDG don't feed the greatest with 223 or 223 AI if you run the bolt too slow.

I actually have a CDG and a spare 223 bolt face and I decided against using it for my 223 and use my Nuke gen 2 on my build for all the reasons listed above.

Last edited:
Anybody shooting any of the Creedmoor family of cartridges without coned breech and/or barrel nut?
Actually any cartridge without cone?
I shoot my 6.5 creed Nuke 2.0 flat breech barrels and it feeds fine with AW magazines in the Xylo for most rounds. 147 ELD-M feeds the best but Scenar 136/139 feeds too but I can feel that there’s a tiny bit of resistance if I cycle the action slowly. I plan to have my smith cut it down to 18in and rechamber it as a cone breech sometimes this spring.

I shoot my 6.5 creed Nuke 2.0 flat breech barrels and it feeds fine with AW magazines in the Xylo for most rounds. 147 ELD-M feeds the best but Scenar 136/139 feeds too but I can feel that there’s a tiny bit of resistance if I cycle the action slowly. I plan to have my smith cut it down to 18in and rechamber it as a cone breech sometimes this spring.
Appreciate that. One of my CDG's has a 16.5" 6.5 Creeed barrel and is in a Xylo, temporarily, just need some entertainment.. Just shopping in my closet. I'm starting to think I may want to trade a NIB CDG short for a long action. I have a few ARC actions and love them.

If you search this thread or others, it's a common complain that some CDG don't feed the greatest with 223 or 223 AI if you run the bolt too slow.
Man can you quote them - I’ve seen you say this a few times and every time I go hunting for all these horror stories and see nearly all success stories.

I could be wrong though.

Reactions: msgriff
Man can you quote them - I’ve seen you say this a few times and every time I go hunting for all these horror stories and see nearly all success stories.

I could be wrong though.
It certainly doesn't CRF, that I can confirm.

I have run a few dummy 6mm creed rounds through it with no problem, fast or slow. I have a 6mm bartlein blank, thinking about a 6GT.
Anybody done a flat breech in that or similar? I hate it that they made it complicated and I know people will be chiming in that it isn't. Other people liked the Nuc and being able to use a Savage barrel nut.
Hide search feature sux.
All buyers aren't PRS competitors, may just want a badass accurate hunting and just general shooting rifle..
Who knows, I just may want to shoot a squirrel in the left ear at 300 yds.

Last edited:
American rifle company told me a few months back that basically going to put all effort into the CDG action and no longer will make the nucleus gen 2 but they will have spare parts and whatever is needed. But nucleus and Archimedes actions are gone. I think it was a huge mistake but I'm just one person. I love my nucleus gen 2 but I am selling it not because they discontinued it but I moved to a Bat and lapua bolt face.

I actually had a few people decide not to buy my action because they stopped making it.
Couldn’t agree more! I get it with the Archimedes, as the CDG took its unique feature and built upon it. I’m disappointed with the Nuke’s demise though.
I bought our first ARC action on last year’s BF sale for my wife’s custom 6 Creed build - the Nucleus G2 SA with the new integrated recoil lug (can’t believe they took that step only to discontinue them). She loves it! I was so impressed I was planning to buy another on this year’s BF sale for a build of my own. Well THAT didn’t work out as planned! ☹️.
Just not sure I’m that into the CDG. I won’t say never, but for now it’s not really what I’m looking for. Guess I’ll keep my eye out for a secondhand Nuke or consider the other actions I’ve been pondering. One thing’s for certain…there are PLENTY of custom action options this day and age, for all likes and dislikes, preferences and requirements!

Last edited:
Reactions: lash and Schw15
Finally starting my build. I’ve been collecting pieces a little at a time. Scope is arriving Wednesday, so I’ll test fire and do the small break in recommended by Preferred Barrels. Then it’s on to load testing.
CDG SA, fixed bolt handle
Preferred Barrels prefit in 6.5x47
Trigger Tech Diamond
MPA BA
Vortex Razor in PMR rings
760415FB-0069-4CB9-86B2-CD0994FA8B5B.jpeg

Couldn’t agree more! I get it with the Archimedes, as the CDG took its unique feature and built upon it. I’m disappointed with the Nuke’s demise though.
I bought our first ARC action on last year’s BF sale for my wife’s custom 6 Creed build - the Nucleus G2 SA with the new integrated recoil lug (can’t believe they took that step only to discontinue them). She loves it! I was so impressed I was planning to buy another on this year’s BF sale for a build of my own. Well THAT didn’t work out as planned! ☹️.
Just not sure I’m that into the CDG. I won’t say never, but for now it’s not really what I’m looking for. Guess I’ll keep my eye out for a secondhand Nuke or consider the other actions I’ve been pondering. One thing’s for certain…there are PLENTY of custom action options this day and age, for all likes and dislikes, preferences and requirements!
Have a long action magnum lol

@karagias is it possible to create an extra clearance bolt body that would be more tolerant to debris? For people who don't mind the extra play at the rear of the bolt travel. Or would it negatively impact function due the design?

Reactions: stanley_white
@karagias is it possible to create an extra clearance bolt body that would be more tolerant to debris? For people who don't mind the extra play at the rear of the bolt travel. Or would it negatively impact function due the design?
Are you having issues cycling you bolt? Is it fluted?

Reactions: Billstein