• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Coup De Grâce, New Action from American Rifle Company, $899 WOW!

Would be nice to see what the primer looks like. How far are you bumping the shoulder when you resize?
I know. I didn’t really think to take a picture before I popped them because they were fairly unremarkable.

I’m bumping the shoulder .002”. Bolt falls on the case with the firing pin and extractor removed.

I know. I didn’t really think to take a picture before I popped them because they were fairly unremarkable.

I’m bumping the shoulder .002”. Bolt falls on the case with the firing pin and extractor removed.
I’d check it again, excess headspace can show false pressure signs on the case head.

I reached out to Proof given the desire here and am happy to say, "We ... are working with ARC." The response appeared to reflect CDG only.

Proofs are (hopefully) on the table bois.
Might be old news but 1+ year later and Proof is a no bueno for prefits.

1706277518102.png

For those that are curious and like to look at pictures...if they aren't already posted in here. The original extractor is black with a ball and longer spring. The updated extractor is silver with a tapered pin ( may not be oriented correctly in the photo .....I didn't look at YT vid prior to taking photo ) and shorter spring.

DSC_6134.JPG
DSC_6133.JPG

Picked up one of these for my first bolt action build. I was nervous about removing some metal and slightly modifying my existing chassis to make room for the trigger hanger. It was completely unnecessary, took maybe three minutes with the dremel and 1 $2.89 screw from the hardware store.

My love for this action has wained ever so slightly. I haven’t had to tinker this much with a custom action before. It’s not terrible I know but it’s getting ever so slightly annoying. First the trigger hanger, then I had to remove material from mdt’s shortest mag latch as well as my mpa adjustable mag latch, and now I’ve had to modify the new extractor because it interfered with the conical breach.
Yes they are all minor, it’s taken me about 2 hrs total for the mods, but it’s gotten to the annoying side of things. I really hope that’s the end of it and I forget about it once I get shooting it some more.
Here’s some pics of me fixing the extractor, it took a lot more removal than I expected.
Some sharpie, a file, and some buffing got it back to running smooth though!
There didn’t seem to be as much of a radius at the corner, and the whole ejector wasn’t as much radius as the original. As I removed the corner, more and more started contacting.

Attachments

• IMG_9343.jpeg
    IMG_9343.jpeg
    238.7 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_9342.jpeg
    IMG_9342.jpeg
    223.8 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_9340.jpeg
    IMG_9340.jpeg
    239.4 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_9337.jpeg
    IMG_9337.jpeg
    258 KB · Views: 123
My love for this action has wained ever so slightly. I haven’t had to tinker this much with a custom action before. It’s not terrible I know but it’s getting ever so slightly annoying. First the trigger hanger, then I had to remove material from mdt’s shortest mag latch as well as my mpa adjustable mag latch, and now I’ve had to modify the new extractor because it interfered with the conical breach.
Yes they are all minor, it’s taken me about 2 hrs total for the mods, but it’s gotten to the annoying side of things. I really hope that’s the end of it and I forget about it once I get shooting it some more.
Here’s some pics of me fixing the extractor, it took a lot more removal than I expected.
There didn’t seem to be as much of a radius at the corner, and the whole ejector wasn’t as much radius as the original. As I removed the corner, more and more started contacting.

A little more info please, Was this a barreled action? From where? Was this a Prefit barrel? From where? What trigger did you have to remove material from the hanger with?

Shouldn't have to do anything like that besides maybe the trigger hanger on a custom action.

A little more info please, Was this a barreled action? From where? Was this a Prefit barrel? From where? What trigger did you have to remove material from the hanger with?
It was a barrel put on by a very competent and well known gunsmith. He used a tool to make the conical breach as opposed to a cutter and compound angles I guess? Suppose to be better and more precise. Not a machinist so don’t know how this is accomplished. There was zero issue with the original extractor, the new one has a geometry that is slightly different. You can see it just looking real close. I have one of the earlier models so the trigger hangar hadn’t been revised yet so with a timney trigger it requires some removal.

Reactions: LR1845
Adjusting mag latch is extremely common as well.
Extremely common may be an overstatement. I haven’t had to do it on a tikka, origin, or lone peak in multiple chassis systems. I even had to remove material from the adjustable mag latch on an MPA. Ted says some adjustment may be required, so it’s not a huge deal, but everything combined is adding up to start being annoying is all. Still a great action!

My action is being barrelled up by GAP so hoping all i have to do is the trigger hanger. Getting a MPA matrix elite so hoping that since MPA is using there action should be easy fit.

It was a barrel put on by a very competent and well known gunsmith. He used a tool to make the conical breach as opposed to a cutter and compound angles I guess? Suppose to be better and more precise. Not a machinist so don’t know how this is accomplished. There was zero issue with the original extractor, the new one has a geometry that is slightly different. You can see it just looking real close. I have one of the earlier models so the trigger hangar hadn’t been revised yet so with a timney trigger it requires some removal.
Gotcha, I did not realize that you changed the extractor AFTER your barrel was chambered and installed.

Extremely common may be an overstatement. I haven’t had to do it on a tikka, origin, or lone peak in multiple chassis systems. I even had to remove material from the adjustable mag latch on an MPA. Ted says some adjustment may be required, so it’s not a huge deal, but everything combined is adding up to start being annoying is all. Still a great action!

Nah, it is extremely common.

Between the dozens of custom actions and chassis combos, AW and AICS mag setups Ive had - mag latch adjustment is needed probably 40% of the time at a guess?

Ive never had to remove material from an adjustable latch though - my CDG in the Matrix was fine.

Just be glad you're not left handed.

Try to find out how many left handed chassis there are. Very few and if there are they are in 700 only. I've got Tikkas.

Both chassis that I have I've had to left hand convert. Krg whiskey 3 just bolt handle cut out. For my t1x Mdt xrs I also had to cut out the area for the safety to go.

Don't have any 700 footprints but I've been following this thread since the beginning.

Nah, it is extremely common.

Between the dozens of custom actions and chassis combos, AW and AICS mag setups Ive had - mag latch adjustment is needed probably 40% of the time at a guess?

Ive never had to remove material from an adjustable latch though - my CDG in the Matrix was fine.
Didn’t try my matrix, I will just for kicks. I just tried the lightweight ba

Ran mine today with the new extractor and zero issues feeding, extracting, and ejection. I'm running a bravo with the stock mag latch too.

I"ll agree though that tinkering with things to get them to run is a pain in the ass .

Reactions: LR1845
I have not had a custom action that didn't need to be fucked with between the ones I've had (Impact, Defiance, ARC, Zermatt). I have never bought a full custom rifle from a gunsmith, though.

Reactions: giumau1 and Hennig
Just picked up my new CDG action. The locking lugs look flat to me, not toroidal.

I had to reassure myself that i wasnt wrong. Grabbed the bolt today and yes, no issues with clearance. And some really bad photos of the lug. Its not flat .

Attachments

• 20240129_071433.jpg
    20240129_071433.jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 132
  • 20240129_071415.jpg
    20240129_071415.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 134
  • 20240129_070930.jpg
    20240129_070930.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 144
Anybody build a 6BR with one of these yet. Curious how it runs with the AW mags and HRD kit?

Considering doing the CDG in a foundation stock in 6BR.

Last edited:
Reactions: Schütze
Thanks for the kind words.

I've always had reverence for companies, or more appropriately teams of smart people, that can offer amazing products at prices that reflect the vestiges of capitalism and the specialization of labor. As an example, pull your phone from your pocket and call someone on the other side of the planet, or disassemble your Glock, or drive your car. And all this still in a world retarded by the unnecessary friction that is corrupt, unjust governance. Imaging a world with less friction efficiently pushing back against entropy. The possibilities are awe inspiring.

But in regards to bolt actions specifically, I can only surmise that my competitors are just not proficient makers and that their prices reflect their inefficiencies. So all I ask from you, the customer, is that you pass judgement. Evaluate the offerings honestly and critically. Reward with your dollars those who perform. I think you'll make the right decision.

Ted
Well spoken words sir,hats off to you,and the CDG looks like work of ART.

My CDG came in today. Black, .473” bolt face. I ordered mid-November so that’s a sweet surprise when I was expecting their ETA to be a minimum expectation. It’s a beautiful action, this thing is a work of art, and my first time playing with AW mags tells me this was a good decision.

I'm having some ignition issues with lapua 300 Norma mag brass and CCi 250s.

I've heard that others may be having issues too? I'll keep doing what I can on my end but I was curious if this was common for either the CDG or lapua brass?

Virgin to once fired brass grows about .009-.010" CBTO so that's on my radar. Primers are seating about .008" below.

I've heard that others may be having issues too? I'll keep doing what I can on my end but I was curious if this was common for either the CDG or lapua brass?

Virgin to once fired brass grows about .009-.010" CBTO so that's on my radar. Primers are seating about .008" below.
I think that you need to review your headspace after that brass has all been fired once or twice. If your brass is growing that much, that is the prime suspect for your ignition problems, imo. But I think that you are already suspecting that to be the case.

I'm pretty sure that the tang on the CDG is milled with those "machine marks" on purpose for "style" or anti-glare like the back of pistol sights or back of the slide. Added for looks and style more so. I saw it on the ARC website I think.
Came here to say this. Honestly I like some of the stuff I see these days that has intentional "machine marks" left. Could be because I bought a mill and make my own shit too lol.

I think that you need to review your headspace after that brass has all been fired once or twice. If your brass is growing that much, that is the prime suspect for your ignition problems, imo. But I think that you are already suspecting that to be the case.
Yeah, the brass is .0065" short of the go gauge. The chamber is cut +.003".

The only reason I ask is because I was told second hand that someone else with an ARC was having this issue. Its not a knock on ARC or the CDG. Just trying to get all the info I can.

Reactions: lash

I had similar issues with 300 PRC with CCI 200s and ADG brass. I was originally seating the primers .010" below flush and had some failures to fire (15%) even with multiple attempts. I believe I was crushing the primers too much and they just wouldn't ignite. After disassembling the dud rounds I could see the primers did not ignite. I adjusted my seating depth to .004" and still had a few FTF, but they did fire on the second attempt. After I changed the seating depth to .007" I had no more failures. My experience prior to this was with CCI 450s which were not sensitive to seating depth at all so the issues with CCI 200s was unexpected, but in hindsight not all that surprising. Obviously you'll need to determine your optimal seating depth with your components.

Yeah, the brass is .0065" short of the go gauge. The chamber is cut +.003".

The only reason I ask is because I was told second hand that someone else with an ARC was having this issue. Its not a knock on ARC or the CDG. Just trying to get all the info I can.
I’ll be interested to hear if or how this resolves.

Yep, I agree. Still can't wait to get mine, bet it'll look a bit different all dressed out. Any pictures out there "in the wild" yet?
What some people consider pretty on a bolt action rifle amuses me. The again I've been accused of being .22 queer. I have at last count 17, .22 caliber flavors from .22 short to .22 Creed and I haven't kept one that wasn't a shooter.

I spun a PVA 6BR on a couple of weeks ago. Sitting at 247 rounds on it now. Not one issue running AW’s or MTD BR AICS’s. (MDT’s require a little mod)View attachment 8336023

what did you do to the AICS mags? receive the back so of the mag wall a little? love to see some pics. I have the same recipe as your pic. foundation with M5 metal and the stupid AICS mags are not loving life at all.