• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Coyote Hunting / Woodlands + Hardwoods

AMM0

Private
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2011
WISCONSIN
www.facebook.com
Did a search and didn't come up with anything this specific. Hopefully, another member of the 'Hide will be able to assist.

Typically, if you're watching The Outdoor Channel and there's a show on coyote/predator hunting, they're in a location where there are miles and miles of open low lying grassland and prairies.

I'm in Wisconsin and the places I'm used to hunting deer are hardwood forests fairly thick with Birch, Maple, Oak, etc, etc.

How would I go about setting up for coyote hunting in these areas? I feel like I'd have to place my decoy + bait in area and simply hope that it's spotted or smelled. I've never coyote hunted before but there's a used FoxPro in our local craigslist site that got me intrigued.

Anyone else predator hunting this kind of area?

Here's a few photos I've taken this season where I've hunted:

8f9d60f3.jpg

7819e397.jpg

89b90552.jpg

0fbb9279.jpg

Re: Coyote Hunting / Woodlands + Hardwoods

Wow, those pics make me appreciate the west much more. That looks like shotguns would be your best bet. I would definitely recommend the foxpro if you can afford it, its a great tool. Other than that, just setup like always, looking downwind and keep the sun in his eyes, not yours. I'm sure someone with much better advise will be along shortly, good luck!

Looks like the woods around here. Coyote setups are pretty standard wherever you go. Figure on them circling downwind of the call. I set up so my shot <span style="font-style: italic"> Should</span> be 50-200yards out. I usually go with a rifle over a shotgun, too many times the dogs show up out of shotgun range. If you have a brushy area that's what I'd focus on for calling.

Also, if they aren't hunted too hard in your area, they are easy to pattern. I've got a pair running a valley on the back of my place every night/early morning. As soon as I get a free morning and some snow I'll try to take them out.

If night hunting is legal where you hunt it really is worth trying.

I'm sure glad I hunt these yotes in Colorado. It's wide open here. I like to be able to see them before they jump in my lap.

I would go with the FoxPro and a tree stand. I have had some sucess coyote hunting. The first rule is to hunt where there are coyotes.

Looks like a shot gun or a ar with a red dot would be your best weapons. When I call a area like that, I look for logging roads or drainage ditches for their approach. I will set my foxpro 40-80 yds upwind. I hope this helps.

I hunt coyotes in areas like that a good bit. Thick stuff seems to negate the benefits of bait piles. You'd need a lot of bait here to stand a chance of coming back to shoot over it and any being left.

Keys to success:
1- Scent management. Twice as important here as it is for deer hunting in same area.
2- Bring a buddy. If you don't have one, make one. I take my kid brother. He uses a semi auto shotgun, and I use a red dot equipped Ar15. Why is this important? They will come from behind you. For everyone I see in front of us at the call he takes 2 behind me. Doesn't matter if you are upwind or down wind. They will be behind you.
3- They are already there. You aren't really calling them in from way off like they do in the videos shot out west. There is no reason to get one which is capable of loud speaker volume. The FOXPRO Scorpion puts out plenty of sound. You can be laughing talking to your buddy. Take a cell call. Make a ton of noise. Take a piss. Sit down, throwing branches everywhere to clear your shooting lanes. Walk back to the caller because you forgot to turn it on. And have one fly right past you both on the way to the call in the first 30 seconds after you started calling. So fast it will scare the crap out of you the first time.
4- The moment you shoot one, switch to KI YI's which is a coyote in distress sound. Be prepared to shoot immediately as if you hadn't moments ago.
5- Movement. You don't make any. It's important that something around your caller does. It doesn't have to be realistic. I tried the jack in the box and kept loosing decoys to giant birds that you aren't allowed to shoot swooping down. Changed to some feather covered wings attached to a branch by 550 cord and a fishing swivel and the birds stopped. Latest decoy is a cheap battery operated wobbly ball stuffed inside a stuffed animal. It just lays there on the ground and sort of wiggles and crunches leaves. It's easily the most effective thing yet.
Link to ball:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Multipet-Motoriz...=item870dafdbf4
6- Decoy/Caller scents aren't important, masking scent is. You cannot use readily available cover scents as deer hunters use them and predators associate those smells with hunters. You need to make your own. If the predator can smell something other than the human scents left on your decoy and caller it will ignore them. Just spray some branches or tree trunks in something stinky. We have a few spray bottles of deer blood mixed with beer we keep in the fridge at home which we spray on stuff when we put out the call and decoy. We don't spray anything on the call or decoy, scent remover or otherwise and find we don't have to worry about our handling of either.

Our method is simple. Figure out wind direction. Place call up wind. I setup down wind, almost directly, with a clear line of sight 30yds on the opposite side of the caller. This will determine how far from the caller I can be based on how far I can see on the other side of it. That's about the right distance for them to break cover and get to the call or close to it and not escape alive. They will be running full tilt and you won't hear a thing. It's all about seeing the movement. Often times they will sneak in close to it before they realize they've been had and you see them for the first time tearing ass away as they attempt to escape the kill zone.

Kid brother sets up slightly behind me (+/- 10 ft) and off to my right a good 20 ft. He sits looking at the back right side of me and the area behind me. This gives him a zone of fire of everything that will rush the call down wind and subsequently my back. Since bringing him with and setting up in this manner we've taken over 150% more coyotes and multiple from the same stand.

Don't get me wrong. I take a bunch on their way to the call. But when setting up in the thick stuff, it's hard to ensure there aren't some also behind wherever you put yourself. Before him I just thought there weren't any in this area. It's rare for him not to take one every stand that I take one and half of the ones I don't even see any. Usually I'm surprised to hear the shotgun go off behind me and then I immediately see one take off from somewhere full tilt. Or I take one which startles one behind me that was circling down wind. Or I take one and multiples come full tilt from down wind.

Before we took all the scent prep we didn't see that many. Seeing as how about 75% are still coming down wind of the call and me, no matter how far away from it I setup, it is super important.

I usually hunt little open fields where I know they hang out. I never hunt heavy woods like those in your pics. I like to see them coming from a lil ways away to get setup so I have a clear shot in their direction.

I see them a lot while deer hunting in areas like in your pictures and I'm not calling them. I'm usually 30 ft up a tree in a lock on or climber watching the longest lane/opening I can find. I think if you got a Foxpro and a good climber you'd be surprised what you could call in. Of course there has to be something to call to, there are a lot of yotes around here. You'll have shit for luck if your area doesn't have them or if you don't play the wind and use scent control.

Like SS said though, you'd be better off hunting more open areas, if you have some. If you don't then give something like what I said a try.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hunt coyotes in areas like that a good bit. Thick stuff seems to negate the benefits of bait piles. You'd need a lot of bait here to stand a chance of coming back to shoot over it and any being left.

Keys to success:
1- Scent management. Twice as important here as it is for deer hunting in same area.
2- Bring a buddy. If you don't have one, make one. I take my kid brother. He uses a semi auto shotgun, and I use a red dot equipped Ar15. Why is this important? They will come from behind you. For everyone I see in front of us at the call he takes 2 behind me. Doesn't matter if you are upwind or down wind. They will be behind you.
3- They are already there. You aren't really calling them in from way off like they do in the videos shot out west. There is no reason to get one which is capable of loud speaker volume. The FOXPRO Scorpion puts out plenty of sound. You can be laughing talking to your buddy. Take a cell call. Make a ton of noise. Take a piss. Sit down, throwing branches everywhere to clear your shooting lanes. Walk back to the caller because you forgot to turn it on. And have one fly right past you both on the way to the call in the first 30 seconds after you started calling. So fast it will scare the crap out of you the first time.
4- The moment you shoot one, switch to KI YI's which is a coyote in distress sound. Be prepared to shoot immediately as if you hadn't moments ago.
5- Movement. You don't make any. It's important that something around your caller does. It doesn't have to be realistic. I tried the jack in the box and kept loosing decoys to giant birds that you aren't allowed to shoot swooping down. Changed to some feather covered wings attached to a branch by 550 cord and a fishing swivel and the birds stopped. Latest decoy is a cheap battery operated wobbly ball stuffed inside a stuffed animal. It just lays there on the ground and sort of wiggles and crunches leaves. It's easily the most effective thing yet.
Link to ball:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Multipet-Motoriz...=item870dafdbf4
6- Decoy/Caller scents aren't important, masking scent is. You cannot use readily available cover scents as deer hunters use them and predators associate those smells with hunters. You need to make your own. If the predator can smell something other than the human scents left on your decoy and caller it will ignore them. Just spray some branches or tree trunks in something stinky. We have a few spray bottles of deer blood mixed with beer we keep in the fridge at home which we spray on stuff when we put out the call and decoy. We don't spray anything on the call or decoy, scent remover or otherwise and find we don't have to worry about our handling of either.
</div></div>

Aaron:

Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply. Really appreciate all of the awesome information you took the time to type out for me.

Never took the time to do any predator hunting in my area, but you really gave me a lot of information to think about and understand.

Thanks again...

Thanks again for all of the other replies, guys.

There are definitely coyote in the area. A co-worker of mine has a cabin not too far away from the ara where we hunt and they're not secretive at all about howling at night. It's not uncommon to hear those bastards howling at times for what seems like several minutes.

There is a continuous / open season on them here in Wisconsin and I think I'm going to putforth some effort to taking them out.

To get a good idea of coyote presence, throw the caller in the bed of the truck or bungie it to the trunk of your car. Wait for dusk and drive to an area you suspect might be good. Play the coyote locator, or just coyote howling sounds. See what howls back. Staying in the vehicle won't educate them, nor contaminate the area with scent. They will be loud enough to clearly hear with the windows up and radio off.

This way you can cover/scout a lot of potential areas fairly quickly in that twilight hour when they are more likely to respond. Learned that trick from a game warden buddy.