• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

coldboremiracle

Freelance Sharpshooter
Minuteman
  • Jul 7, 2009
    Utah, north
    www.coldboremiracle.com
    So I just got back from another work trip in Montana. As usual, my eyes are in a constant state of scanning for wildlife along the way. Among many things, I spotted a coyote standing on the side of the road. It was 11:30 in the morning and he was just standing there, I knew something was wrong. I pulled the truck over and walked cautiously back to where I had seen him, he was still there, but didn't look right. As I got closer to him I could see what the problem was.

He'd apparently been hit by a car, at least one of his back legs was broke, and he wouldn't walk more than a couple steps then lay back down. I easily got to within grabbing range just to see what if anything could be done. I prodded at him with a stick to see how peppy he was, and he reacted with a quick snap at it. I sat down and thought about it for a minute, I knew that even if I managed to "secure" him and take to an animal control or something, they'd probably just euthanize the poor little guy anyway. So I figured rather than risk injury and or further injury to either of us, it would be better to just do the deed right there and end his suffering.
    DSCF5914.jpg

DSCF5915.jpg

I'm a little embarrassed to admit this
    blush.gif
    , but I have actually never put my hands on a coyote that I shot. Over the years I've shot at many, even hit a couple, but they for one reason or another were never recovered. I felt sad that the first had to be this poor little guy, he was a beautiful specimen, and in otherwise good health. I know that most people hate them and shoot them at every opportunity, I would do the same in a fair chase situation. But deep down inside me there is something that says; everybody should get a fair chance at life, be it a person or a coyote. I've raised rabbits that I orphaned (cesarean Via AK-47), Racoons that were orphaned, ect. I would still shoot rabbits, coons, coyotes or whatever, but I dont think its fair that they not get a shot at life. Once they are up and grown, they are fair game like anything else.

Anyways, I felt bad about it but I shot the poor little guy with my 239Sig 9MM, one good shot through the oil pump finished him almost instantly. Hopefully the next time I run into a coyote, it will be a fair challenge.

Re: Coyote Pup

Glad to hear you did it Brother. I have had to dispatch many a sick dog when I am overseas. You never feel good about it but it has to be done.

I have administered the <span style="font-style: italic">coup de grâce</span> to many a wild animal that I hadn't myself injured. The killing doesn't bother me but it pains me to see them left suffering. Good on you for ending his misery.

Hate to see any animal suffer. Better that you did what you had to do than to let him suffer any longer.

That's too bad, but you did the decent thing. Karma will reward you.

It's a sad thing that there wasn't another way, but also aside from the broken leg he could have had some internal bleeding. He was hit by a car, so it's more than likely that he had some other problems that would have contributed to his suffering.

You did a good thing. You're a credit to hunters everywhere.

Not much else you could do in that situation. Seeing an animal suffer is the worst.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmaHeavy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's a sad thing that there wasn't another way, but also aside from the broken leg he could have had some internal bleeding. He was hit by a car, so it's more than likely that he had some other problems that would have contributed to his suffering.

You did a good thing. You're a credit to hunters everywhere. </div></div>

I agree!

It pains me to see animals left to suffer at the hands of careless people. You did the right thing man, i'm glad you stopped and checked it out.

Oh, and by the way, those are some very nice pics of a very gorgeous animal. I like the second one quite alot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Terror!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It pains me to see animals left to suffer at the hands of careless people. You did the right thing man, i'm glad you stopped and checked it out.

Oh, and by the way, those are some very nice pics of a very gorgeous animal. I like the second one quite alot. </div></div>
    I've got some more. upcoming

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You did the right thing. No animal should suffer in that way. And he must have been suffereing A LOT to let you get that close. </div></div>

Actually mike, I did get close enough to grab him, I wanted to see his reaction, he was still full of it
    eek.gif

You did good.

I came across a doe that had been shot through the spine on the side of a trail and of course it was in a buck only unit. I popped her in the head and then I called the Fish and Game and told them about it and offered to tag it so it wouldn't go to waste. They told me that the law said that I couldn't tag it or have it and that it had to be disposed of. If there is something worse than an animal suffering its an animal going to waste. They took it up to the county landfill and left it to rot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Moroni</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You did good.

I came across a doe that had been shot through the spine on the side of a trail and of course it was in a buck only unit. I popped her in the head and then I called the Fish and Game and told them about it and offered to tag it so it wouldn't go to waste. They told me that the law said that I couldn't tag it or have it and that it had to be disposed of. If there is something worse than an animal suffering its an animal going to waste. They took it up to the county landfill and left it to rot. </div></div>

Good thing you were in Id Cap'n, if you'd a called the Utah DNR they'd probably ticketed you for poaching.

Good move. I would have done the same thing. I would have skinned it too, looks like a decent pelt.

Are you sure his back legs were broke? Looks like the dudes just trying to take a peaceful shit next to the highway and you come in and bust his day up.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StanwoodSpartan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you sure his back legs were broke? Looks like the dudes just trying to take a peaceful shit next to the highway and you come in and bust his day up..... </div></div>

Yes his legs were broke, but he did take a peaceful shit right after the shot.

I know that it's a hard thing to do, but it needed to be done. I had to shoot a spotted fawn because of an ill placed bullet from a poacher. That was a heartbreaker, so I think we have all been there a time or two. It was a good deed.

Like wise, Hate to see any animal suffer. Better that you did what you had to do than to let him suffer any longer.

During hunting season saw 2 elk, 1 cow with injured hind leg & later 1 bull (2x) shot and bedded down ( was afraid to put them down as i was sure a game warden would jump out of a bush and F me )

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pat M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like wise, Hate to see any animal suffer. Better that you did what you had to do than to let him suffer any longer.

During hunting season saw 2 elk, 1 cow with injured hind leg & later 1 bull (2x) shot and bedded down ( was afraid to put them down as i was sure a game warden would jump out of a bush and F me ) </div></div>

It's a sad world we share.

good move man...we all hurt inside when we see suffering animals. I have done the same my self and even though we feel sad or sorrow, we know it is the right thing to do!

Guess a guy would hafta see his lambs and calves wrecked and mutilated by them things to grow sorta callous about not caring if a damn coyote suffers or not.

Targets of opportunity, and making them deader than dead is the goal.

Sorry, no quarter given, here, for a stinking coyote..........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guess a guy would hafta see his lambs and calves wrecked and mutilated by them things to grow sorta callous about not caring if a damn coyote suffers or not.

Sorry, no quarter given, here, for a stinking coyote.......... </div></div>

And what do we do to lambs that's any different? Coyotes do what nature has evolved them to do. Hating them for it makes out as though they have a choice to do otherwise...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guess a guy would hafta see his lambs and calves wrecked and mutilated by them things to grow sorta callous about not caring if a damn coyote suffers or not.

Sorry, no quarter given, here, for a stinking coyote.......... </div></div>

And what do we do to lambs that's any different? <span style="font-weight: bold">Coyotes do what nature has evolved them to do. Hating them for it makes out as though they have a choice to do otherwise...</span> </div></div>

+1, we are more humane because we have come along ways since people started hunting. I'd imagine that the earliest hunter's weren't much more humane than a coyote is today.
    I've shot several sheep in the same situation. While many animals are pest's, nothing deserves to suffer(at least 4 legged).

Sorry if I can't feel your immense pain for the sorry things.........

What we do with lambs, and cattle, is raise 'em and sell 'em....so folks like yourself can pad your larder, take the business people out for a fancy business meal, buy wool clothing, and have leather shoes, feed your dog/cat, etc, etc, etc.

YMMV, obviously, but this is called livelihood for us......kinda sorta personal.

Last count we lost about 30 lambs since birthing time this spring, and about a dozen calves....all to coyote predation. Lambs are easy pickings at any age, calves are worst off when they're newborn.

When shearing time rolls around; and when you get up all the calves for the first time for a round of shots; it's not too hard to notice something isn't right. When sale time rolls around, it's not to hard to see this sort of thing hurting the bottom line. Give it at least a passing thought the next time your bottom line is hurting at the grocery store.

Between myself, a couple of buddies, and the state trapper, we've killed (any damn way we could) 18 coyotes just on THIS farm since mid December last year.....and we're still losing stuff. Complete extermination would be a good start.

FUCK a damn coyote..........

Nobodies saying coyotes are a great thing to have around Trip, only that animals shouldn't be made to suffer, be it canine or ovine. I'd be happy to help you dispose of some yotes. Your not the only one who raises animals, and I'm well aware of the raise and sell thing. I pad my own larder
    smile.gif

ETA: done discussing. Go ahead and hate, if that's what you do.

I'll put this as delicately as I can.....

Put something out on the www and you gotta be prepared for a dissenting opinion coming from somewhere....sometimes a very passionate dissenting opinion. It's just the way things are with the human race, and I happen to hate coyotes enough to not care if one suffers.

Per your coyote pup....as far as I'm concerned, at least you killed the damn thing. Some idiot tree hugger might have tried to take it to the vet or something.

Per your worry over an animal suffering, and I don't mean anything other than pointing out the irony of it, you took the time to take photos before putting it out of its misery...better thing to do would be just cap it's ass asap if suffering was a concern.

You even tried to get a hold of a wounded wild animal.....umm....okay.

The one I killed last December was a sorta sloppy shot with a muzzleloader. I walked up to confirm death and it came up on it's front running gear growling and snapping. A 9mm to the face made him stop that shit right NOW but the furthest thing from my mind at that time was trying to get a hold of it for some reason. Wounded animals don't really want to play.

Don't take anything personally, just realize that coyotes are a big problem to some people and when they take cash out of my pocket it's a full on war with no prisoners. A living is hard enough to earn without problems like that to deal with.

I don't respect 'em, don't care about 'em, don't want 'em around, and never will. They can drag their stinking guts off in the stick weeds and take 6 hours to die, I could care less.

I'm am glad tho' that here season on 'em is all year day or night except Sundays. Wish it was legal on Sundays too. Some states have a time out for 'em to breed. Now THAT'S just stupid.........

Its kinda funny.

Everytime I see a thread like this, i get a heavy feeling. Its my cue that I still have a heart.

Good job ending his suffering.

Tripwire,... leave.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its kinda funny.

Everytime I see a thread like this, i get a heavy feeling. Its my cue that I still have a heart.

Tripwire,... leave. </div></div>

i agree,
    it is our duty and responsibility to care for, and manage them appropriately, even though i kill many coyotes a year, i still respect them, and take what they give me... not just allow to suffer let die and waste... its a shame to me how some people think, and it pisses me off... they were put here for a reason... and that reason is for us... take care of what is ours, and respect it...
    OP, you did the right thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skinney</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its kinda funny.

Tripwire,... leave. </div></div>

i agree,
    it is our duty and responsibility to care for, and manage them appropriately, even though i kill many coyotes a year, i still respect them, and take what they give me... not just allow to suffer let die and waste... its a shame to me how some people think, and it pisses me off... they were put here for a reason... and that reason is for us... take care of what is ours, and respect it...
    OP, you did the right thing. </div></div>

Thanks guys, I think we are all on the same page.

Vermin though they are, <span style="font-style: italic">nobody</span> wants to see an animal suffer unnecessarily. Bueller? Bueller?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll put this as delicately as I can.....

</div></div>
    As you say, as delicately as I can - Karma is often a bitch. 'nuff said.

You don't need to put anything delicately and you can drop the condescending tone while you're at it.

Jesus, why does every thread have to be crapped on by someone being John Wayne's retarded twin brother?

And yeah, karma's a bitch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> drop the condescending tone while you're at it.
    </div></div>

It's the only tone he's got.

Say coldbore left the coyote on the road, took off, and by some miracle it lived?

It wouldn't be much of a miracle. A wounded animal is an exceptionally dangerous thing. It is hurt, and will attack at anything to make the hurting stop. Most animals are naturally scared of humans so even getting close to some is enough reason for them to attack you. He doesn't think about humans helping him.

Imagine that animal walking around with pain from improperly healed legs, hips, internal organs. Imagine him getting into someone's backyard with little children playing around.

That is why you never leave an animal capable of hurting a human, in a wounded condition.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoveSPR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you have any pics from after you shot it? </div></div>
    Nope, I didn't hang around after I shot. I made the decision to shoot him, and left.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmaHeavy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    Imagine that animal walking around with pain from improperly healed legs, hips, internal organs. Imagine him getting into someone's backyard with little children playing around.

That is why you never leave an animal capable of hurting a human, in a wounded condition. </div></div>
    x-actly... i get rattlers, skunks, coon, coyotes, hell a couple years ago we saw a mountain lion 1/2 mile from our house, i see any of these close enough to be a threat to me or my family, they're dead... but dead quick, not gut shot to suffer in the ditch, as much as i respect animals, my family's safety is priority.