• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

coyote range finder

jeredharlan

Private
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2018
what is your recommendation for a range finder for coyote sized game, one that can actually read a coyote in a wheat field on a sunny day. I don't need Bluetooth or ballistic software, just bare bones solid ranges. I currently run a leica 1600b and a coyote past 600 is a very difficult range to attain.

I think I agree, maybe. terrapin-x under my tree this year. but let's just say 3000 is my budget.

Not trying to thread jack but I’m building a 17 Remington for coyote hunting this season (opened yesterday) I have no budget.. what is the absolute cheapest that will actually register 600. I have frozen lakes so might be able to set up some long range shots too.

I popped a big male yote this last weekent @787yds ranged with my Leica 2000b. I have found that the Leicas work a lot better at longer ranges with fresh batteries.

Reactions: RNWRKNP
Sig Kilo 2200.....Buy it at Brownells in case you have any problems. They have a lifetime warranty. I had a 2000 go bad.

Reactions: sd0311msg
Another one For Leica 2000 that I picked up for around $500. Laid up against the frame of the gun works well for coyotes though I usually range markers ahead of a call.

Reactions: RTH1800
so I have a revic, all I really need is the straight line range, no angle correction. would it be wise to go with the terrapin x or a used older terrapin. I won't likely shoot over 1000 yards but sure want consistent readings. I'd be interested in the sig binos but don't want to buy something that hasn't been proven to perform on coyotes at 1000 in the sun

what is your recommendation for a range finder for coyote sized game, one that can actually read a coyote in a wheat field on a sunny day. I don't need Bluetooth or ballistic software, just bare bones solid ranges. I currently run a leica 1600b and a coyote past 600 is a very difficult range to attain.
You will need one of the fine options from Vectronix

Many lasers will ping off a coyote 600 plus.
A fair portion will be not of the bargain variety.
As you expect it to do this in less than ideal conditions, fog rain snow bright sun with snow, the price will go up quick.

R

Reactions: tnichols
17 Remington is NOT an ideal choice for a 600 yd coyote
I didn’t say I’d be shooting coyote at 600, only that i have plenty of frozen lakes I can use For longer ranges. Are you speaking from experience on coyotes? I will listen to any advise given but 17cal appears to be full of false accusations. I have a Grendel for slightly longer ranges and was talking to someone on here that has a 17 Grendel reamer.

I’m still building my 17 ar so I’m not speaking from experience yet.. but from what I’ve read if you try some 30g on bigger stuff you’ll be impressed. I would like to get some of your load data if you don’t mind sharing. I found some old bullets from when Hornady made 25g molly costed and spire point I’m eager to try.

3k budget.... easy..... The new leica geovid hdb 3000s. Then you have a super nice bino with an awesome rf and pretty handy ballistic program.

Reactions: Wyzrd
My hunting buddy has a set of Leica Geovid 1200 Binos, and my Sig Kilo 2200 was easily out ranging it during our Antelope hunts. He was not happy....

Last edited:
Thank you everyone, I decided to go with the terrapin x, I may regret not getting an original terrapin with the etched reticle but wanted to be sure I had warranty and also the bluetooth capability will surely help resale value if I ever decide to upgrade again

They dont exist yet.

But after using the kilo2400. These should be a pretty big success

I use my SIG 2400BDX for shooting and hunting, to include yotes. Best rangefinder I have purchased yet. In the field, while on a set, I find it difficult to range dog sized targets further than 600yds off hand. I range a nearby tree, side hill, or other terrain feature/object to get my range. I posted some field results on a different thread within the past 2 weeks, compared it to the Bushnell elite 1 mile conx.

Biggest issue with ranging coyotes where I live is that by the time you range them they are gone. I range prior to the coyote showing up.

Reactions: mjh30
Here is what I’ve been running for the last month. It can catch a telephone pole at 2000 yards.

Attachments

• CCA139DA-00C6-4A53-8835-1C05B3A7F8EE.jpeg
    CCA139DA-00C6-4A53-8835-1C05B3A7F8EE.jpeg
    471.6 KB · Views: 82
  • 3CDC8D04-B867-4263-9338-B6E221451B18.jpeg
    3CDC8D04-B867-4263-9338-B6E221451B18.jpeg
    304.7 KB · Views: 76
  • A1EE9E4E-3876-4EDA-A24C-765E54D6A392.jpeg
    A1EE9E4E-3876-4EDA-A24C-765E54D6A392.jpeg
    304.7 KB · Views: 76
Reactions: Wyzrd
Here is what I’ve been running for the last month. It can catch a telephone pole at 2000 yards.
Night Assassin, that is pretty stream lined. Very nice looking system. I have only purchased one range finder the Bushnell SCOUT DX. It is crude but effective. What is the make & mod of your RF?

Night Assassin, that is pretty stream lined. Very nice looking system. I have only purchased one range finder the Bushnell SCOUT DX. It is crude but effective. What is the make & mod of your RF?
Thanks man, it’s a Wilcox raptar. It’s a little expensive, but you get what you pay for.

If you have the money and are good with the Vec X and it's form factor, while I have not tested one personally, I don't think you can go any better in it's price class or below.

If you just want a basic RF that gives you LOS and maybe angle modified and dispenses with the ballistics stuff, I would look hard at the Leica 2400. Pretty cheap, awesome glass, and though I run the 2700, folks I have talked to that have the 2400 tell me it is spot on or better than what Leica promises for the 2400....ie trees out to and exceeding 2400 yards in most conditions.

That small divergence with the horizontal beam really comes into it's own on those smaller critters too (same with the Vec X AFAIK). With my 2700, I was easily ranging small Texas does at 700 in a field of tall grass yesterday...such that only the top 1/3 of the deer was visible. I have hit as far as 1300 on Hill Country deer, which if you know about the average Texas Hill Country deer, they are not much bigger than a Colorado coyote!

That said, if you want and can afford the Vec X....from what I am told...top shelf all around!