• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Coyote rifle build.

JoeMaggard

Private
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2020
I’m looking at putting together a coyote rifle. It’ll be 18-20” barrel to try to keep the weight and length down. (I’ll be running a suppressor) Looking for a cartridge that’ll be effective out to about 400 yards. I’ll be loading for it so factory ammo availability won’t be a issue. Also any recommended bullets and twist rates to go with the cartridge would be appreciated. Thanks.

I also forgot to add, I’m working with a short action with a .470 bolt face

Build a 22 CM !!

here is my latest

Impact Precision (AW cut) action, Bartlein CF barrel 6.7 twist @ 22", Manners EH1A stock, TT diamond, NF ATACR 4-16x42 F1, TBAC Ultra 7 and a Montana Slings on it!

22CM.jpg
22cm side.jpg

I’d stick with a 223 rem. at those distances. Any of the 22 caliber rounds are fine but 223 uses less powder. I believe the barrel life is better on the 223 too.
Just seen the previous post and it looks like the one to go with

Barrel life shouldnt even be an issue for a hunting/coyote gun. Its not like youre going to be shooting steel with it every weekend. Youre going set up call for 5-10 minutes shoot once or twice, and repeat all over again in a different spot. I would hardly be worried about barrel life.

Due to bolt face, I would probably give 22 creed, 22 gt, 22 br, 22 dasher a go. Now If I wanted to be fur friendly, then slow twist. If not, then fast twist.

I love my BR, but a 16” Creed, will do what my BR will do and a shade more out of its 24” barrel. If you wanted that much to begin with.

Reactions: Boatninja
I’m looking at putting together a coyote rifle. It’ll be 18-20” barrel to try to keep the weight and length down. (I’ll be running a suppressor) Looking for a cartridge that’ll be effective out to about 400 yards. I’ll be loading for it so factory ammo availability won’t be a issue. Also any recommended bullets and twist rates to go with the cartridge would be appreciated. Thanks.
Well, I have been after those fur bags for over 35 years, doesn’t seem like that,, but, used a few different calibers and different length barrels,, but a large majority of my killing has been done with a 22-250, at the moment, nothing fancy, Tikka compact, 20 inch barrel, Leupold optics, hand loads or factory,,, gets the job done in Missouri.. plus a good hand call and luck,,, Good Luck to Ya!!!🇺🇸⚡

Barrel life shouldnt even be an issue for a hunting/coyote gun. Its not like youre going to be shooting steel with it every weekend. Youre going set up call for 5-10 minutes shoot once or twice, and repeat all over again in a different spot. I would hardly be worried about barrel life.
I lumped coyote shooting in with other varmint shooting is why I mentioned barrel life. I tend to use the search and destroy technique when I’m beating the wildlife back.

I would go with a 16.5" barrel with a 1:10 twist in 308 with a 125gr or 150gr bullet, it will do what you want and can be used a back up deer rifle.

This interests me, what kind of load are you shooting and what’s the velocity look like?

Reactions: stello1001
.243 will do well in a 20" for sure and feeds well in a magpul mag. .22-250 can be troublesome in a detachable mag.

Reactions: SDBguy95
I have had a hard time as well trying to find a mag that feeds 22-250 as well.

Or buy a KMW Sentinel and build a heavier coyote rifle.
I know of one for sale…..

Reactions: Average guy
Im leaning towards the 22 Creed. What kind of loads are you using and what the velocity like? Also do you think it would suffer much in a 18” barrel?
I'm running a 17" barrel with my 22 creed. Powder is what brings back velocity loss..im using H4895 and 60vmax and still at a nice and easy 3700fps.

Are you trying to save the fur? If not go for the .308. Load it with 125 or 110 bullets out of a 10-12 twist barrel. So much more capable than the other rounds. In a shorter barrel very efficient burning of the powder. Very flat at the ranges you talk about. Since your running a can lots of options with sub sonic rounds if you want to shoot silent. Options for longer range. Options for a SHTF rifle also. I know that sounds boring but its the best. 110 gr Noslers will get there. Don't be tricked by velocity numbers out of small bores that have 26" test barrels when your wanting to run a 18". For a hunting rig just use a number 3 contour.

Are you trying to save the fur? If not go for the .308. Load it with 125 or 110 bullets out of a 10-12 twist barrel. So much more capable than the other rounds. In a shorter barrel very efficient burning of the powder. Very flat at the ranges you talk about. Since your running a can lots of options with sub sonic rounds if you want to shoot silent. Options for longer range. Options for a SHTF rifle also. I know that sounds boring but its the best. 110 gr Noslers will get there. Don't be tricked by velocity numbers out of small bores that have 26" test barrels when your wanting to run a 18". For a hunting rig just use a number 3 contour.

I forgot to add in the original post it’ll have to be 6.5 or smaller. I’m in KY and they restrict night hunting to 6.5 or smaller. .308 would be a great option if not for that though.

I’ve never considered a 308 a varmint gun and I don’t know why. The 308 is hard to beat inside 500yards but with the 6.5 limit probably a 243 would be good too.

I have had a hard time as well trying to find a mag that feeds 22-250 as well.
Magpul mags feed 22-250 well. I never had trouble with AI or accurate 5rd mags either. For the tens I imagine the case taper would start to cause troubles.

In Australia I would say 243 as the ADI factory loaded ammo with 87g V max are very consistent. 6mm CM seems a lot easier to get over there, I would pick between those two, better barrel life than the really hot 22 cal stuff, better energy and trajectory to 400 than the really light 308 stuff.

I settled on a varmint barrel 243 shooting the ADI made ammunition as the primary home for my thermal scope.

Reactions: buggz
Anyone have experience with the 17 Remington? I thought about getting one for primarily fox (with the occasional coyote). Rifles in that caliber are hard to find. Shilen makes an AR barrel for the 17 Rem, but I felt a bolt action would be best for that caliber...

Anyone have experience with the 17 Remington? I thought about getting one for primarily fox (with the occasional coyote). Rifles in that caliber are hard to find. Shilen makes an AR barrel for the 17 Rem, but I felt a bolt action would be best for that caliber...
You MIGHT have better luck finding a .17 fireball.
They are both niche cartridges for sure.
Also in the same ballpark are the .20 vartarg and .20 tactical or practical (two slightly different cartridges).

Last edited:
I just bought 223 and 308 reamers and barrels in case the ammo situation gets worse and I need to run the cheap ammo. The accuracy is good enough to get the job done and the price is right.

Any good factory 22 creed options or do you pretty much have to reload?

Any good factory 22 creed options or do you pretty much have to reload?
The boutique places like unknown and copper creek will load it but it’s still not something you’ll find on a shelf somewhere. Reloaders cartridge.

I don't have any experience with this ammo (yet) but it seems to have quality components.

I had trouble with factory loads. I had 4 or 5 different mags and found one that would feed, not reliably though.
Use a MDT polymer mag for a .224 valkarie. It holds 8 rounds single stack. Smooth the feed lips a little towards the front and you will be pleased...

In KY as well. I just bought a 223 to pack in an XLR Envy Chassis. I have a 6.5 Creed that it awesome, but damn heavy. I am looking at doing a Bighorn Arms LT3 Action so I can just swap barrels and get down to 1 rifle for the seasons. 308, 6.5 Creed & 223. Just swap barrel & bolt head.

I really liked the 62gr Barnes varmint grenade around 3800fps out of my 243. Did a number on crows and hawks. The 55gr nosler I could get just over 4000fps. But that was in a 26" barrel. A 20" would probably still do it justice.

Ar10 in 308 or??? Love mine w the atn scope. Also if you call atn ask for refurbished at 40% savings.i can see the heat from a nose at 100 yrs no problem

I forgot to add in the original post it’ll have to be 6.5 or smaller. I’m in KY and they restrict night hunting to 6.5 or smaller. .308 would be a great option if not for that though.

Curious about this. Are they trying to deter the taking of larger game at night illegally by limiting the caliber?

Good luck with the build. I like watching coyote hunts on YT. We are starting to get them here where I’m at in SC but they’re still very sneaky. Trapping might be easier unless you’ve got a huge property. Fortunately no hogs in my area either. Just Dillos and deer