• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CPAP users? My experience,

Hntelk

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2011
Allen, Texas
So I have slowly been getting worse at night with my snoring and not feeling restful during the day. My last hunting trip in Montana I caught hell from my tent mates about the snoring. I knew it was bad but I guess I had been in denial as it had slowly been getting worse over the years.

At the urging of family and friends and also being in health care field, I knew the writing was on the wall. The main problem is, I had associated this sleep apnea with obese people and I am not obese but I did not want to be labeled as such. After talking to a close friend, who is having same issue but is tall and lean... I realized I need to relent and put aside my idea of what type of people have sleep apnea. Its not just a big man problem.

So finally I set up a sleep study and surprise...I have terrible sleep apnea, it was actually very dangerous to what my O2 sats were dropping to 60 to 70% sats, for prolonged periods of time. No wonder my arse was so tired during the day. I was never getting a good nights sleep.

You would think I would run to the home health store and get my cpap asap...but no...I was still being hard headed.

Couple months go by and I finally couldnt take being so tired during the day ( I would just blow it off as getting old)and had the home health set me up.

By the second night after using the cpap I could not believe the difference in how I felt...Man did I ever feel good!! It was like a fog cloud had been cleared and I felt 10 yrs younger!

I was the type before the cpap that I didnt even bother talking till I had at least 3 cups of strong coffee.

Now, there is no way in hell I would be caught w/o my cpap, I feel too good and dont want to go back to feeling like crap. As far as the snoring...its gone, quiet as a mouse. So looks like I will get invite back to Montana this year...lOL

Anyway, I am writing this to help others that may be on the fence or need to get themselves evaluated...Go get it done, if not for you but for your friends and family.

Re: CPAP users? My experience,

Agreed. About 40% of the population that has been diagnosed with Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) are considered normal weight. It is not mearly a "fat man's disease" although obesity will play a role in OSA. There is more and more research studies being published that link OSA with diabetes, heart disease, impotence, and GERD.

I see a lot of OSA patients with severe grinding or bruxism of the teeth because they are jaw thrusting in their sleep, (essentially doing a head tilt/chin lift) trying to open their airway. End result is a lot of root canals due to necrotic pulps and crowns due to fracturing. A team approach of a ENT, certified Sleep Medicine doctor, and a dentist can really make a huge difference in the quality of life for a patient suffering from OSA. @ OP you may want to link up with your dentist and ask him about some of the various mandibular advancement splints available. These can help lower the pressure required with the CPAP/BIPAP which increases the comfort level when using a CPAP. The splints come in extremely handy if you are traveling/camping/hunting or if the power goes out and the CPAP is unavailable. Just my .02

BigDaddy, thanks for the tips...never thought about a mandible splint, great idea, I had thought about just using a plain oral airway but mandible splint seems way more advanced!!

I can also vouch for the GERD...was terrible during the non cpap a days...now it is gone.

Also hit the ENT and see what your sinus situation is. Sleep doc said I had sleep apnea, mild, but the CPAP didnt do the trick. Turns out, I couldnt breathe thru my nose (or not much anyhow, as right side was about 50% blocked and left side was almost totally blocked when I laid down) and thus the CPAP was almost useless. Just had the deviated septum repair surgery and feel like a new man! Sleeping 5-6 hours a night, up and ready to kick ass every day. Before I was trying to sleep 8+hours a night and felt like shit all day, tired, wore out, etc.

Surgery was easy, recovery wasnt bad, just fell like a stuffy head cold till they took the splints out. Back to shooting a Palma rifle for about 30 shots 1 week after surgery and shot a full 160 shot match last weekend. Felt pretty good!

Dont just look at one thing....thats what I learned. Unfortunately took me 3 years to figure it out.

Very good point with the ENT doc... its amazing how much better you feel.

I'm glad you got some relief. I, too, have sleep apnea. The CPAP did nothing for me, and the ENT doctor didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. And so it continues...my girlfriend thinks it's insane that I don't even care to sleep anymore.

I'm 5'5" and about 150 pounds, so it has nothing to do with being fat, at least not for me.

DOWNZERO, did they check you for central sleep apnea, two types. obstructive and central... Central is more difficult to diagnose and harder to treat. I would have it further investigated. I had undiagnosed sleep apnea for years which probably led to my having afib... Guys, if you wife says you snore realy bad get it checked out.

I'm going to add to this, despite what the primary care doc may say, if you snore badly, wake up out of breath sometimes, sleep for 8 hours and still feel like a train hit you when you get up, go get checked out. I complained to the doc for about 2 years and finally got a study at another provider because the in-system (whatever they call it) sleep center was booked full.

I was told numerous times that I'm not old or fat, so I don't have it. Well, I've got mild apnea, enough to need CPAP. So far so good, but getting the right mask that won't tear up my nose is a huge PITA. Despite that, the nights that I haven't had mask problems have been great. Waking up is much nicer these days.

I'm going in thursday for my sleep study. I'm 6'4" and 240. Not fat, but not in the prime shape I was in after returning from my last deployment. But even then, roommates were telling me I needed a sleep study bad. I hope it comes back that I need a CPAP and my results are as good as yours. Sounds strange, but I would welcome that outcome over continuing to feel half dead all the time.

5'11" 190 here, so not a fat issue for me...not even close. for me, it was the deviated septum. ENT can diagnose that easy. Either way, like the guys are saying, if you try to sleep at night and wake up feeling like you just did 12 rounds with Mike Tyson, its time to go to the dr and get it figured out. Glad I did.

Went through a couple sleep studies, diagnosed with mild obstructive sleep apnea. I had large tonsils so they removed them and did a palet trim and removed the uvula. Didn't do shit for me. I have tried the CPAP, just couldn't get used to it, need to try it again. I have allergies fairly bad, I think that may be part of the problem. I also have a large tongue that they said would fall back in my throat and block the airway a bit. ENT said they could trim my tongue but recovery would be worse than the tonsil surgery , F**K THAT!!! It deffinately sucks being tired all the time. Have to get back on the CPAP for another try.

By the way, I'm 5'8"- 186, so I'm not really over weight, so I don't think that's really part of it. I could be in better shape and cut a few pounds and maybe help.

Not a doctor but my father-in-law died of a heart attack due to constant, long-term oxygen deficiency when sleeping at night. My wife says her father snored like you wouldn't believe, had a CPAP but never used it.

One can try a BIPAP machine that starts off with low pressure and after you're asleep kicks up higher incrementally.

Sleep apnea will kill your ass. If you are diagnosed with it while in the military (even on your retirement physical) and you need a CPAP you are assigned 50% disability by the Veterans Administration.

I had sleep apena, they removed my tonsils and worked on my deviated septum and I am good to go. I still snore but I dont stop breathing now. I tried a CPAP and ended up overcoming it, even on the highest pressure setting so surgery was my only option.

@ jlaw. You should get the opinion of your dentist on advancing the mandible with some form of mouthguard/splint. They are indicated for those that refuse to wear CPAP or have mild to moderate OSA. If you dentist doesn't fabricate them ask for a referral. It can be a non invasive treatment that usually has very good results.
I too agree with declining any further surgeries until all other options are exhausted. A Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty (UPPP)is very invasive and can start to lose effectiveness after 6 months as the scarring starts to remodel and the soft palate begins to sag again. A tongue ablation is very, very invasive and can takes weeks to recover from and has mixed results. For some it works well, for others not so much.

The most common dental splints being used on the market for OSA treatmetn today are the TAP III, the Somnomed MAS, or the Herbst Appliance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigDaddyDMD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">@ jlaw. You should get the opinion of your dentist on advancing the mandible with some form of mouthguard/splint. They are indicated for those that refuse to wear CPAP or have mild to moderate OSA. If you dentist doesn't fabricate them ask for a referral. It can be a non invasive treatment that usually has very good results.
I too agree with declining any further surgeries until all other options are exhausted. A Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty (UPPP)is very invasive and can start to lose effectiveness after 6 months as the scarring starts to remodel and the soft palate begins to sag again. A tongue ablation is very, very invasive and can takes weeks to recover from and has mixed results. For some it works well, for others not so much.

The most common dental splints being used on the market for OSA treatmetn today are the TAP III, the Somnomed MAS, or the Herbst Appliance. </div></div>

That's about how long it helped, no more than 6 months. And was a SOB for recovery! Hurt like hell. I lost 10 lbs the first week. Only drank water and ate jello and pudding. Finally got to were I could eat apple sauce after awhile. I'll have to check into a mouth guard/splint with a dentist, haven't heard anything about those until seeing it here. Thanks

Just started using one and I feel better after a couple of days. They told me between my snoring waking me up and stopping breathing I was waking 24 times an hour. Blood oxygen was dropping to 20%. No wonder I felt like crap. I knew I stored like a tank because I would wake up sore from my wife beating me. I felt like crap for the last 6-7 years but figured it was just exhaustion, I work 60 -70 hours a week and went to school. Oh not fat either, 29 y/o m 6'5" 210 lbs.

Been on CPAP for 7 years now. I can definitely tell the difference when I don't use it. Still on Active Duty and deployed to Iraq, Afghanistan and a few other shitholes with it. Any AD guys that have any questions feel free to hit me up.

Gents if you have sleep apnea get a CPAP! Normaly hypoxia or low oxygen levels in the blood cause vasodilation in arteries and veins except in the pulmonary vascular system. This will cause pulmonary hypertension leading to right sided heart failure.

I've been on a cpap machine for about a year now since the wife really threatened to kill me after 3 days of no sleep. If you wear one of those bulky nasal masks and dont like it, try this one that i use. http://www.sleepweaver.com/
I cant stand to sleep without my cpap anymore.

I was diagnosed with OSA about 7 years ago. WheN i started using cpap I was given a nasal mask and I did not tolerated. I got a full face mask and even though they look more uncomfortable I liked it a lot better and have used them since. If u are having trouble getting used to the cpap have your doctor try either a full mas or nasal pillows or adjust the settings on the ramp ( the time it takes from whe u turn on tue machine to when it reaches its maximum pressure). Just my .02$

I use a nasal pillow, didn't like the full mask although it worked fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigDaddyDMD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A tongue ablation is very, very invasive and can takes weeks to recover from and has mixed results.</div></div>

Sorry for the threadjack, but you just made my testicles crawl through my inguinal ring and into my retroperitoneal abdomen.

shocked.gif

you guys think OSA is bad, try having sleep onset-CSA (Central Sleep Apnea). Please understand, I am not taking away from sufferers of OSA because it is hell too...Essentially, the brain stops telling your diaphragm/lungs to take in breaths at a time right before you fall into deep sleep. The results are devastating because with OSA you can still sleep through it (not that that is good), but with this shit, you can't even fall asleep. You wake up every 10-20 seconds taking in a huge deep breath. I scared the shit out of my wife most nights and myself... There is no stopping it, no "cure" or treatment. Thank the Almighty it went away on its own after a solid 9 months. In those months, sleep was non-existent. It sounds weird but I would fear going to bed. Damn I hated that!

Hello all,

Some signs that you might have OSA... tired during the day. Dry mouth when you wake up. Sleep better in a recliner or better with more pillows. wake up with blankets all messed up. Your significant other says you stop breathing in intervals.... you prob have OSA. Snoring does not necessarily mean you have OSA. I have done thousands of sleep studies on pt's and have had hundreds that snore and do not have OSA. But if you do and you use a CPAP/BIPAP then that takes care of that issue. If you have crap sleep I would highly recommend getting a TWO DAY sleep study. One diagnostic study and one titration study. The titration study is only needed if you rule in for OSA. The titration study is where the polysomnoghrafic tech/or respiratory therapist can find what pressures you should be at and whether you need a CPAP or a BIPAP. You can do these studies in one night but you'll be more apt to use and continue to use your machine if you get a two day study. The study is a major pain in the ass for the pt (wires all over your body and head for both studies). But once you get used to using your machine your life will be changed forever. Less sleep (more quality sleep requiring less sleep), more energy, weight loss, and just plain happier. If you do end up being prescribed one I would recommend, if you can afford it, getting both a nasal mask and a full face mask. Leakage in masks and comfort are your enemy when using CPAP/BIPAP machines. Take your time in trying on all that an office has to offer and get one with low leak values. I say get both because nasal masks are more comfortable and once you learn to keep your mouth shut wile you sleep (will need to wear a chin strap for some time to train yourself) they feel better. But get a full mask for when your sick and can't breath through your nose and will mouth breath anyway. If your mouth is open while the machine is on the pressure thats meant to open up your airway go's out your mouth. Thus pointless. Once you get used to using your machine you don't want to stop when your ill. A good nights rest make a huge difference in recovery.

These are just a few things I have learned while doing sleep studies. I am by no means an expert on OSA. But do have some experience in this field. I have seen peoples lives do a complete 180 by getting there sleep patterns checked out. Everyone deserves a good nights sleep and so does your spouse.

Just my 2c

Randal

I've had a cpap for 8yrs now. Sleep study showed that I would stop breathing for 45 seconds to a minute. So used to the machine now if I don't have it I wake up like I've been underwater gasping for breath, not fun

I have OSA and could not tolerate CPAP. I tried several masks, but would always remove them during the night. I now use a TAP 3 mouth device and feel great. I now dream again and I am not sleepy during the day. If you have OSA find a solution that works for you.

Some people have a super hard time adjusting to the whole thing. I have been told by a few pt's that the TAP mouth devise works for them. Have not done any studies with them yet. Dr's have not asked for one. Good for you SHWILL that it works and your getting great sleep. Sure feels good when you do. Your right to about getting a solution that works. Makes a difference in your life for sure.

Randal

I sleep with one now. When I got married my wife spent the first year leaving the bed and going to the living room to sleep. She tried ear plugs but still couldn't sleep in the same room with me. My blood pressure started going up and up until I finally went to a dr. and they give me medicine for it and some days it would almost make me pass out when I slept good which was about once a week. They talked me into a sleep study and they told me I needed a cpap so I did a second over night trip with a cpap and they got the setting for it. The first couple days was like I was a little kid again with the new energy. If you even think you have it go get checked. I probably should have done it a lot sooner than I did. Most insurance companies will pay for 100% of the cpap and studies. Atleast BCBS did.

My uncle just had the same experience as you, usually some weight loss may also be in order.

weight loss does help if your obese but about 40% of those afflicted are within normal weight limits.