• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Cradle for precision shooting?

NYShooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 9, 2007
New York
How popular are "cradles" for precision shooting? I saw one in a thread a few weeks but and I'm thinking of making one this week. Are they worth having in my range bag?

Re: Cradle for precision shooting?

By cradle you mean a tripod head that holds or supports your rifle?

Since I got one, it hasn't left my pack once. For field firing positions they are really worth their weight in gold, for the little extra weight on your back, hit probability skyrockets.

I've been using the PRS SSP1 and SSP2 cradles for the last two years, they dont clamp your rifle which allows you more freedom of movement.

Clamped and un-clamped have their own benefits of course.
Clamped will support your rifle for long periods with no input but you're comitted to the tripod and adjustments are mechanical.

Unclamped allows you smoother tracking and sketchy positional shooting.

If you shoot in the hills alot or spend long periods observing then you should definitely look into a cradle head tripod.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 96C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">By cradle you mean a tripod head that holds or supports your rifle?

Since I got one, it hasn't left my pack once. For field firing positions they are really worth their weight in gold, for the little extra weight on your back, hit probability skyrockets.

I've been using the PRS SSP1 and SSP2 cradles for the last two years, they dont clamp your rifle which allows you more freedom of movement.

Clamped and un-clamped have their own benefits of course.
Clamped will support your rifle for long periods with no input but you're comitted to the tripod and adjustments are mechanical.

Unclamped allows you smoother tracking and sketchy positional shooting.

If you shoot in the hills alot or spend long periods observing then you should definitely look into a cradle head tripod. </div></div>

Yes, this is exactly what I was referring to.

They are great for shooting over/through vegetation, stalking, and sitting in positions for extended periods of time.
My team took at least one tripod mounted rifle rest with us on every mission we went on in the Marine Corps. It's an invaluable tool to have when the situation dictates.

Highly recommend you get with the Stud above and get yourself a HOG saddle!!

You wont be disappointed!

If you already have a tripod, then you can easily make a rest using a section of PVC pipe, a T-nut, felt, and bracket appropriate to your tripod head. A picture and additional commentary: link.

—Andreas

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Andreas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you already have a tripod, then you can easily make a rest using a section of PVC pipe, a T-nut, felt, and bracket appropriate to your tripod head. A picture and additional commentary: link.

—Andreas </div></div>

Doing this. Thanks.