• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Crimping precision rounds?

mzvarner

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2013
Spokane, WA
Getting ready to start loading for a new AR 10 that I am treating as a "precision" build with the goal sub 3/4 MOA. A buddy asked if I was going to crimp in order to prevent bullet set back from recoil (we had a pistol chambered in 460 Rowland explode cause of this). I told him that my practice is to use a FL die w/ proper bushing that gives .002 neck tension. But that got me thinking if this is acceptable practice in a semi auto. I have loaded thousands of 308 and 6.5 Creedmore using this practice in bolt guns, but my AIAT is a much heavier weapon so it has very little recoil. Thoughts?

I would agree more neck tension. Try .004 and please do not crimp the bullets.

Increase the neck tension to be consistent. Crimping introduces a lot of variables and is more difficult to be consistent (i.e. brass thickness, trim length, etc.) For precision - consistency is everything.

If you do, use a taper crimp. Make sure cases are trimmed to a UNIFORM length to avoid problems. A light crimp is sufficient. Only use bullets with a cannelure.

I have good results with a collet crimp, had trouble with the taper crimps and wont go back.

Imho