• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Crimson Trace Optics

just browsing

overkill is underrated
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 18, 2017
    NE PA
    Last edited:
    A 3-24x56 and a 4-20x50 in the lineup, be still my heart! Looks like possibly another OEM with LOW??? Either way, Crimson is a good company. Low profile turrets, decent weight for the size, fairly short, 10y parallax, but that reticle... I am not sure I like that at all, looks very busy, almost Horus like, and where is the center dot/cross, it almost looks like the center is a small horizontal line??? but will have to wait and see how it looks through the scope. They have a 2-Series, 3-Series and 5-Series which appear to identify different levels of quality

1543171636832.png

Reactions: SageRatSafaris
    I was thinking the 5-series definitely looked to be of LOW lineage. Guess we’ll find out more as information becomes available, but they look promising for the time being.

Is LOW offering cheap rates on steel scope tubes or something? Why are all the scopes these days so dam heavy?

Im not someone who cares too much about weight, but 30oz+ on every new scope is starting to get old in my opinion.

Reticle is too busy for me.... I actually looked at a Lucid just because the reticle was bare with a open center... I almost like it... almost. Not necessarily the scope just the reticle. I love my Kahles, vortex, Steiner etc. I just keep thinking about a uncluttered simple open center .

Reactions: deersniper
    Is LOW offering cheap rates on steel scope tubes or something? Why are all the scopes these days so dam heavy?

Im not someone who cares too much about weight, but 30oz+ on every new scope is starting to get old in my opinion.
    I hear you, and keep hoping for "lighter" as well... was thrilled to see the ad on the back cover of American Hunter magazine and jumped on their website right away really hoping that 3-24x56 would shine, at just under 35oz it's lighter than the DMR II which I loved so if the glass is as good as the DMR II Pro it might be a great option for large frame AR's, but the reticle, ugh, each time I look at that reticle I scratch my head and ask "what were they thinking?"

The 3-18 has 40mil elevation and I LOVE the MR-1 reticle. Still no word on eye relief though

that reticle is really strange and I cannot fathom why they wouldn't offer their more traditional MR1 reticle on what I"m assuming is their flagship 3-24 offering.

question for the scope gurus (and I don't mean to side track this topic) - if Crimson Trace can offer an 8x erector starting at 3 power, could they do the same starting at 5? I'm wondering why there are 7 & 8 erector scopes entering the market, yet none are 5-35 or 5-40. with ELR, f-class, etc I would think there is a need for scopes above the "standard" top end mag rage of 24/25. hasn't the success of the NF 7-35 proven there is interest here that isn't being met vs. yet another offering in the 3-24/4-28/4.5-27, etc, etc, etc range?

that reticle is really strange and I cannot fathom why they wouldn't offer their more traditional MR1 reticle on what I"m assuming is their flagship 3-24 offering.

question for the scope gurus (and I don't mean to side track this topic) - if Crimson Trace can offer an 8x erector starting at 3 power, could they do the same starting at 5? I'm wondering why there are 7 & 8 erector scopes entering the market, yet none are 5-35 or 5-40. with ELR, f-class, etc I would think there is a need for scopes above the "standard" top end mag rage of 24/25. hasn't the success of the NF 7-35 proven there is interest here that isn't being met vs. yet another offering in the 3-24/4-28/4.5-27, etc, etc, etc range?
    I assume you mean a "new" scope because March has had their 5-40x56 for quite a while, it is an excellent scope from all reports. Schmidt also has their 5-45x56.

I should have been more clear with my overall question I guess.
    I was aware of the S&B, Burris, and March offerings in that mega zoom class, but all lack something to me (reticle in the march/burris & the S&B cost).
    are there technical reasons why a 7 or 8 x erector is more difficult to use on a scope with a minimum mag range?
    a $3000-$4000 msrp (4-32, 5-35, or 5-40) with NF/Razor2/Kahles quality could be a great cross over scope for PRS, ELR, F-class, etc. it probably wouldn't be perfect for any one discipline, but I'd be interested for a do-it-all rifle, especially something with a switch barrel like a DT or AI.

Reactions: anubismp
    I should have been more clear with my overall question I guess.
    I was aware of the S&B, Burris, and March offerings in that mega zoom class, but all lack something to me (reticle in the march/burris & the S&B cost).
    are there technical reasons why a 7 or 8 x erector is more difficult to use on a scope with a minimum mag range?
    a $3000-$4000 msrp (4-32, 5-35, or 5-40) with NF/Razor2/Kahles quality could be a great cross over scope for PRS, ELR, F-class, etc. it probably wouldn't be perfect for any one discipline, but I'd be interested for a do-it-all rifle, especially something with a switch barrel like a DT or AI.

Thank you for clarifying. I think the reason we don't see more scopes in this range is simply because it tends to be more a niche market, the 5-25's tend to be low hanging fruit that most of the manufacturers go after. Anytime you increase magnification range you introduce potential for optical issues, this is why (typically) you see 4x scopes like the 4-16's and 6-24's selling at a lower cost than 5x and higher scopes. It is not easy to increase the erector/magnification range and keep the same optical quality as lower mag scopes which is why the good versions of these scopes tend to cost more.

The more you stretch out the optical system the more apparent the deficiencies become. Think of it like stretching out a pizza dough, stretch it too far and holes appear. Get too close to the tv and the pixels appear. Zoom too much and it starts to look like shit, to make it better it’ll cost more.

I like the turret markings getting smaller and larger and I like that the scaling matches the whole and half mils instead of off set .2 like in the new Burris turrets.

Reactions: schlaiek
    I do like the leveling lines.

Based on what I am reading they are using Japanese glass but building the scopes in Germany. I just decided to take a chance on the 5-25x50 so I can give a report after some range time and a match next Monday. With the $250 gift card Europtic is offering it seems like a great deal. I talked to a Europtic rep and he said the glass is about the sameness as the T5x series scopes. If that is tru and it tracks it sounds like it may be a winner.

Reactions: Bender
    Any feedback on this yet? ts
    Based on what I am reading they are using Japanese glass but building the scopes in Germany. I just decided to take a chance on the 5-25x50 so I can give a report after some range time and a match next Monday. With the $250 gift card Europtic is offering it seems like a great deal. I talked to a Europtic rep and he said the glass is about the sameness as the T5x series scopes. If that is tru and it tracks it sounds like it may be a winner.

It looks like the scopes are made in Japan, not just the glass. Overall the 3 series scopes are pretty nice for the price. Are they the Best Buy in the price range? I guess it kind of depends. The only issue I really have with the one I have is the turrets. They just aren’t very crisp and don’t have quite enough resistance when turning. I let a friend barrow on of mine for a match this past weekend and he managed to spin the windage turret and didn’t notice it. The glass is fantastic though. I haven’t don ever any side by side comparisons yet but the glass is pretty impressive and it tracks well so far.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Bender
    I will be interested to here how the 5 series performs. It has a lot of tough competition at the price point. It is competing with the razor and the new NX8 just to name a few.

Haven't had a chance to do anything besides a quick look out the window, but the 5 Series 3-18 seems like a decent scope as far as the glass is concerned. The turrets have a little slop in them, but do have positive clicks.

Reactions: beretta_man11
    Alright, this scope wasn't selling in the classifieds so I thought I'd mount it up and give it a run last weekend on the .223 trainer. I'll say that it's better than the Nikon FX1000 that I tested last year. Is it a $1800 scope, not for me, but I'd say it's more in the $1200 range. The reticle is a good size for the magnification and simple/effective. The turrets have a little play in them, but it tracks solid and the clicks positively engage. The 10yd focus makes this a really solid 22 scope in my opinion.

I have come to the same conclusion with the 3 series I have. It is a nice scope but at full retail I think there are better options out there. I got a really good deal on mine so overall I’m happy with the purchase. The glass is nice but I have noticed quite a bit of CA at higher magnifications. If they would do a little work on the turrets I think it would be a much nicer optic in the price range.

Reactions: JLR
    I think I want the 3420 for my 223 trainer

I think I want the 3420 for my 223 trainer

The specs look quite appealing on that 4-20.
    There are very very few options in the 4-20 range and this seems to offer nice looking specs for the price.

Wish I could see one in person but the chance of me finding one locally is slim to zero.

I used this site and got a brand new one CSA-2624 2-Series™ Sport Riflescope 6-24x56mm MOA/MOA FFP

Got an email from Midway today. They are selling the 5 series 3-24x56 for 899 and there is a $100 rebate until 4/30. Was thinking about getting one to replace the ATACR on my 22. Not sure I like the center aiming point or how cluttered the reticle is. Seems like a decent value at 799.

Got an email from Midway today. They are selling the 5 series 3-24x56 for 899 and there is a $100 rebate until 4/30. Was thinking about getting one to replace the ATACR on my 22. Not sure I like the center aiming point or how cluttered the reticle is. Seems like a decent value at 799.
    I am on the fence as well .

I bought the CT 3-24 from Midway, and I had trouble with the parallax/focus adjustment not being able to focus past about 400yds. I got a replacement sent out, and it wasn't much better and at about 550yds it had the same focus issue. I'm not sure if I got two duds, if there is a engineering/design problem with the scope, or if the optical design isn't sufficient to support a 8x zoom ratio scope in a somewhat short package. I ended up sending both scopes back and bought a Steiner P4XI 4-16x56, and it met my expectations for image quality. The biggest problem I have with optics is that I want alpha level quality, but my budget doesn't afford me the option typically.

The long, short, and curly of my thoughts: Pass on the 3-24x56.

It isnt an engineering/design problem. Mine doesnt have that issue. I do have image degradation at max mag, every scope has that though.

Anyone have hand's on time or thoughts on the 4-20 Crimson Trace 3 model?