• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Crispi Boots?

SDBguy95

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2019
Im getting sick of leaky boots. How long are you guys going on Crispis before they start to leak? Ive been spending a couple hundred a year on boots only to have have them start leaking 3 months into owning them. I wear my waterproof boots for work when it has rained, or if the grass is carrying dew. Any input? Thanks guys.

Reactions: Chesapeake
I can't answer your question directly since I have no personal experience with Crispi boots, although I've read a good bit on Crispi, and I've seen mixed reviews on the brand. In their price point, options are really open to more praised brands. None of Goretex hiking boots I've had ever leaked, ranging in quality from Merrell, to Asolo, to WoodNStream.

So, leaking a few months in I say is definitely abnormal.

Crispi's prices put you into Lowa's upper end boots, along with Hanwag, Scarpa, etc.

In its price range, Lowa is often rumored to be the best.

Reactions: fx77 and MarinePMI
Irish Setter VaprTreks went three months before they started leaking on me, they were UltraDry not Gortex. Before those though, I had a pair of Danner Sharptails which were Gortex. They went closer to five months before issues. Before that I wore quite a few different slip on boots (Ariat, Rocky) and they had similar results. Im not set on Crispis, just saw them at Scheels and thought maybe they would be middle ground between where Im at, and say Kenetreks?

Do your feet sweat? A lot? I've only had one pair of goretex boots "leak," and they had a puncture through the sole. Waterproof doesn't necessarily mean your feet stay dry, and "breathable" is a relative metric when discussing waterproof membranes. Could your feet be getting wet from "the inside?" I don't think I've ever heard of someone having this much trouble with goretex- other than complaints about the actual breathability. I wear goretex lined danners most of the time outdoors. But, when I expect more than inconvenient dampness, I switch to neoprene muck boots.

Pretty sure every boot I own leaks. I've tried every major brand of waterproof material, including goretex.

I think my next boots will be non-waterproof so I can just embrace the leak and hope they dry out quicker.

2 years in crispi boots Nevadas non insulated and no leaks , streams , snow, wet fields rainy matches in the mud sleet to hot weather. I used them in the hot prs matches and did a UKD and there was a lot of hiking during that match , they are comfortable the moment you put them on zero break-in needed. many miles of walking so far , I would say try them on and see what you think . If wetter hunting I use muck boots .
switched from danner elk hunters , I will buy another pair of crispis when these wear out.
hope this helps !

Crispi's are the shit. I use them in Colorado elk hunting and they are like wearing slippers. Best boots I have ever owned.

Have a pair of Crispi Hunter GTX, had them for 5 years and no leaks so far. Just take care of them and you should have no issues.

Going to buy another pair soon and resole these, as the soles are pretty worn down. Looks great otherwise.

Reactions: fx77
Do your feet sweat? A lot? I've only had one pair of goretex boots "leak," and they had a puncture through the sole. Waterproof doesn't necessarily mean your feet stay dry, and "breathable" is a relative metric when discussing waterproof membranes. Could your feet be getting wet from "the inside?" I don't think I've ever heard of someone having this much trouble with goretex- other than complaints about the actual breathability. I wear goretex lined danners most of the time outdoors. But, when I expect more than inconvenient dampness, I switch to neoprene muck boots.
My feet do sweat when Im good and warmed up, but not when its 50 degrees out and Im sluffing around in the morning dew :) I can feel the difference between hot feet, and cool water soaking my socks and squishing as I walk around. I read a post on a different thread though where one guy said as soon as he sweats in his boots, he felt like they got wet way earier after that? Idk why!

Wear my Crispi boots almost every day. Been through most all top brands and they are the best (comfort and support) I have found. Started using them after tearing my Achilles off my heal and going through 3 surgeries. Have the Wyoming, Summit, and Nevada. Was worried about leaking in the first two but no leaks in 4 years. Can't say that I have had any other brands leak outside of one pair of Asolos.

I’m going into my 4th year on a set of guide gtx’s. Can’t guess how many hundreds or possibly thousands of miles they have on them. I have done 5 backpack archery elk hunts too many deer and turkey hunts to recall, I follow pointing dogs around 30 plus days a year and plenty of everything else outdoor related in them. I’ve waxed them 3 times. No leaks, amazing comfort. They look rough and the rand is chewed up but worth every cent. I was getting a new set of boots every year before crispi. Honestly one of the best purchases I’ve ever made hands down.

Reactions: SDBguy95
You probably have a foot shape that is causing this.

The gore tex membrane will be torn if your weight distribution going to the bottom of the foot is very pointed.

Recommend having a podiatrist check it or go to memory foam inserts and change them every 3 months.
I've wondered if it isnt the way I walk at work. I walk around carrying stuff and end up puting extra weight on the balls of my feet. I guess if I ruin one more nice set of boots maybe Ill possibly think about seeing a doc...

Irish Setter VaprTreks went three months before they started leaking on me, they were UltraDry not Gortex. Before those though, I had a pair of Danner Sharptails which were Gortex. They went closer to five months before issues. Before that I wore quite a few different slip on boots (Ariat, Rocky) and they had similar results. Im not set on Crispis, just saw them at Scheels and thought maybe they would be middle ground between where Im at, and say Kenetreks?
Crispi and Kenetrek are peers....

I went through the same thing. Finally got tired of dropping a couple hundred bucks on danners every fall. Granted, ive only put 1 hunting season on my crispis, but they've been much better than the danners over the same time span. I wear rocky slip ons for work, but I do 6-8 miles every weekend during bird and big game seasons in the crispis.

The rocky slip ons are the most comfortable cowboy/work boots I've found, by the way.

So, I don't have long enough on them to give you any info on long term durability, but directly compared to the danners I was using before, I fully recommend the crispis.

Reactions: tob5 and SDBguy95
I ordered a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Extremes and Crispi Briksdal in a head to head this winter from Black Ovis (great company to deal with btw) and ended up with Crispis. Glad i dropped that coin on 2 pairs to get a head to head, it's amazing how different brands fit your foot differently. Sent the Kenetrek boots back to Euro Optic, simply because the Crispis fit better. Zero complaints with either boot.

I only run branded GoreTex, beast breathability I think. I usually get about 2-2.25 years out of a set of non-insulated boots before the GoreTex leaks. I use them in the spring/summer and am walking in wet vegetaion, daily and in muddy conditions. I have torn apart a couple pairs of them after they leaked to find that the mud/dirt works its way under the leather through the seams and cracks in the boots. That dirt then chafes through the GoreTex in the areas of the boot that are constantly flexing while walking.

The Crispi Idaho that i have now are a very comfortable boot. I know the boot will long outlast the GoreTex membrane. I will get another pair when these are shot unless I find something better.

I have torn apart a couple pairs of them after they leaked to find that the mud/dirt works its way under the leather through the seams and cracks in the boots.

I never thought about it like that. Fine sand mostly inside where you dug?

I have torn apart a couple pairs of them after they leaked to find that the mud/dirt works its way under the leather through the seams and cracks in the boots.

I never thought about it like that. Fine sand mostly inside where you dug?

Very fine. I wish I would have taken pictures of them.

Crispi, HanWeg, and Lowa look often much the same in pictures
I have had the latter two on and off for over 30 years and no leaks. I prefer Lowa because of the instant fit and shortest time to break in for my feet.

Just ordered the Crispi Wyoming from Black Ovis... nothing to report on waterproofing but looking forward to putting some miles on these!

I know I can try Crispis on at Scheels, but are there any big name retailers that stock the other brands mentioned?

I had to piece fittings together at multiple stores. Sportsman's had a couple kenereks and a couple of another, and another store here had lowas and crispis. I liked the crispi fit best so I went with those.

Those stores are really my only options locally. I don't know if cabelas or bass pro carries them. REI didn't have shit.

• Haha
I decided to drop a few more dollars on Crispi this year and very glad I did. Super comfortable and no leaks thus far. Little to no break in for me and just enough flex in the summits. I’ll be buying a pair of Nevadas to try at some point.

I have 2 pair of crispi guide boots. One pair is insulated and the other is uninsulated. I’ve have both for 2 years and neither leak. They also have great ankle support. Best boots I’ve ever owned!

I have 3 years and a couple hundred miles on my Lowa Tibets. They are great.

I’ve had the crispi Valdrez for 2 years with zero issues on may hunting/backpacking trips. Best boots I’ve ever owned

3 pairs of Crispi's here. Best boots I've worn. Oldest pair is 3 1/2 years, no leaks. Most comfortable boots I've owned. Most uncomfortable boot; Kenetreks.

Most important thing you can do with high dollar boots is keep them cleaned and conditioned. I only use a conditioner approved for Gore-Tex linings like Granger.

Reactions: tob5 and SDBguy95
3 pairs of Crispi's here. Best boots I've worn. Oldest pair is 3 1/2 years, no leaks. Most comfortable boots I've owned. Most uncomfortable boot; Kenetreks.

Most important thing you can do with high dollar boots is keep them cleaned and conditioned. I only use a conditioner approved for Gore-Tex linings like Granger.
Funny you say that. I have a pair of kennetreks that are about 10 years old that are like vaginas on my feet. Bought another pair (6" uninsulated) a few years later that are not at all as comfortable. CHY-NA?

I have a pair of Crispi's and I really like them. I don't recall what model, they are all leather, uninsulated. They have a toebox that is generous like Salomon's. I found Lowas and Kenetreks to be less so.

As far as leaks go, I snow-pruf the heck out of the seams from the get go and a light coat on the rest of the boot. Repeat every season. Never had a leak even tromping through snow or shallow streams.

I have a pair of Crispi's and I really like them. I don't recall what model, they are all leather, uninsulated. They have a toebox that is generous like Salomon's. I found Lowas and Kenetreks to be less so.

As far as leaks go, I snow-pruf the heck out of the seams from the get go and a light coat on the rest of the boot. Repeat every season. Never had a leak even tromping through snow or shallow streams.
Is snow-pruf an oil, or a glue? Ive never heard of it.

Really good water proofing is Obenauf's