Criterion CORE 223 Wylde barrels ...

TacticalPlinker

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2012
Getting real close to pulling the trigger on an 18-in Wylde / rifle gas. Going to go with their head spaced bolt and Badger Ordinance gas block.

Anyone have experience with the CORE series barrels and how do you like them ?

Thanks - TP

paigecm

Private
Hessian
Belligerents
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2007
Just mounted a 12.5 tonight and going to hit the range tomorrow for break in. Looking forward to it. I had a 12” Stealth barrel that would not shoot for me. Hoping for better luck from this one.

WillHugh

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2017
Just mounted a 12.5 tonight and going to hit the range tomorrow for break in. Looking forward to it. I had a 12” Stealth barrel that would not shoot for me. Hoping for better luck from this one.
I'm interested to hear what you think. Barrel profile seems well thought out and Criterion has a great reputation. I'm looking at the 13.9" but curious to hear how they're gassed for supressor use.

- Will

Reactions: Forgetful Coyote

paigecm

Private
Hessian
Belligerents
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2007
I'm interested to hear what you think. Barrel profile seems well thought out and Criterion has a great reputation. I'm looking at the 13.9" but curious to hear how they're gassed for supressor use.

- Will
Just got done with my version of barrel break in. First time doing so. Gas wise - great dropped them at 3 o’clock 2-3 ft right, using Geissele h3 buffer, I believe. Did not run my suppressor yet. Only shot 50yds today. Very good results. This group was 69 smk 25 gr Varget. Will clean it tonight and hit the range tomorrow to work on groups and chrono with suppressor. 40 rounds through it and like it so far.

Attachments

WillHugh

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2017
Just got done with my version of barrel break in. First time doing so. Gas wise - great dropped them at 3 o’clock 2-3 ft right, using Geissele h3 buffer, I believe. Did not run my suppressor yet. Only shot 50yds today. Very good results. This group was 69 smk 25 gr Varget. Will clean it tonight and hit the range tomorrow to work on groups and chrono with suppressor. 40 rounds through it and like it so far.
Glad to hear you're liking it so far, and thanks for the update! Keep us posted if anything changes.

Yakface

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
Aug 8, 2012
Michigan
Just installed a 16" Core barrel in my AR yesterday. When I get shoot it I plan on testing a few different bullets between 55 and 77 gr. Will post results and let you guy know what I think.

Reactions: TacticalPlinker

MontanaMan

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2007
These are chrome lined barrels...............how much precision accuracy are you really expecting, assuming 10 shot groups at 100 yards.

Yes, Criterion probably make the best CL barrels from an accuracy standpoint, but in the end, it's still CL.

Be interesting to see some real data.....................

MM

Reactions: loveha

BA1412

Private
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2018
I've been running a CORE 12.5" for about 2-3 months now and that thing is LIGHTS OUT with 62gr out to about 400m. Took it out to 600m with hornady 75gr HPBT's and was getting solid hits on steel IPSCs.
I have 6 criterions, 4 on AR's and 2 on bolt guns. They are hands down the BEST shooting AR barrels on the planet and the bolt gun barrels definitely punch well above their price point.

WillHugh

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2017
I'm generally happy with anything under an inch for an AR since that will take me out to 600 yards on steel easily, but always fun to see what kind of accuracy can be wrung out of a barrel. I asked Criterion about these a month ago and they claimed they're getting 3/8" groups out of their shop gun.

BA1412

Private
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2018
I'm generally happy with anything under an inch for an AR since that will take me out to 600 yards on steel easily, but always fun to see what kind of accuracy can be wrung out of a barrel. I asked Criterion about these a month ago and they claimed they're getting 3/8" groups out of their shop gun.
Ive had no issues with my 12.5" with a SOCOM RC2 can and an H2 buffer with a nonadjustable gas block. It runs like a champ.
Can or no can, im running about .5MOA with 62gr FMJ FWIW

loveha

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
  • Jul 31, 2018
    NW Lower Michigan
    This is a couple of groups of my hybrid profile 12.5.
    Functions reliably with or without my Sandman S.

Targets below were 100yds off a bench with front rest and rear bag.
    Scope was a 1-8 NX8 using the top post on the reticle. (Dot is to big for what I was doing obviously.)
    I want to say this was FGMM Berger, don't think it was Sierra MK, can't remember the grain.
    .80 MOA
    BX_RAW_PHOTO_1592456936165.jpg

This was Barnes 62gr 5.56 TSX. Shot right after the FGMM. I actually shot the Barnes first on another target. Confused, I then went back inside and scrubbed the barrel clean of all copper and cleaned it up and grabbed two Hornady match offerings and two Federal.
    I was hoping to get at least 1.5, maybe 2 MOA with this. Oh well.
    5 MOA
    BX_RAW_PHOTO_1592457099461.jpg

Disappointed, but not mad. I just have a really picky barrel of what it likes to eat. Still more ammo I'm looking to try. Going to buy a box of the Barnes 70gr TSX to try.
    Interested to see how Federal MK318 shoots out of it as well.

Last edited:

Molon

Sergeant of the Hide
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Feb 26, 2020
    I can see all the service rifle guy's going to CL barrels here real soon...........................

MM

I guess I should just sell-off all of my Krieger barrels, as well as my stockpile of Sierra MatchKings, since people here are getting .5MOA with 62gr FMJ with these CORE barrels.:rolleyes:

Reactions: GhostFace

Merle

Mr. Air Force
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Jan 13, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    I guess I should just sell-off all of my Krieger barrels, as well as my stockpile of Sierra MatchKings, since people here are getting .5MOA with 62gr FMJ with these CORE barrels.:rolleyes:

Pretty sure the gentleman from Montana was simply joking.

TacticalPlinker

Private
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Mar 24, 2012
    Finally received my package from Criterion - 18" CORE with the recommended Badger Ordinance gas block.
    18" 1/8 twist Wylde & rifle gas

Continuous taper profile looks great, definitely thinking this one will swing like a carbine with .62" at the business end.

So far very pleased with the finish and details. The black is very uniform, and the M4 feed ramps are nicely done. Threading and gas port are clean.

The Badger Ordinance gas block fits tightly as does the gas tube.

Overall whole package looks fantastic.

Plan on having a very respected builder who is on this forum put together a package for me with these. Probably sometime in early December I'll keep you posted....

Attachments

bonesaw00001

Sergeant of the Hide
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Sep 15, 2019
    Is there any advantage to going with the Criterion Hybrid profile over the Core, or vice versa?

bonesaw00001

Sergeant of the Hide
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Sep 15, 2019
    Is there any advantage to going with the Criterion Hybrid profile over the Core, or vice versa?

bonesaw00001

Sergeant of the Hide
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Sep 15, 2019
    The hybrid will utilize a standard 0.750in gas block versus the CORE will require a 0.625in gas block is the biggest difference I can see.
    This is probably something I can look up, but the smaller gas block diameter means (besides a different size gas block) less recoil?

bunsen27

ACME Labs
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Jan 2, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Sorry, gas port - let me rephrase: What effect does the smaller .625 gas port have over the standard .750" port?
    You've completely misread my post. That's not the gas port size, I listed the the gas block size.

A 0.750in diameter gas block is quite common (some would consider it the standard size) and multiple vendors make them, 0.625in is not as common and may be more challenging to source. That's the biggest physical difference between the barrels along with the barrel contour. Accuracy wise they should be very similar if comparing apples to apples (ie chrome lined or not).

TacticalPlinker

Private
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Mar 24, 2012
    The driving design principal to me is the CORE series profile. It's contoured to swing fast with a balance point located closer to the chamber. The video from Criterion clearly pushes this concept.
    The Hybrid looks like it's going to clearly be more nose heavy to my eyes. I don't think there's any "advantage" other than maybe slightly more accuracy by virtue of mass when heated up under increased round counts...

Here's the video , it's a little theatrical but it explains the design...

CORE VIDEO

Last edited:

Forgetful Coyote

Sergeant
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Dec 13, 2011
    Georgia
    IMO it’s a brilliant contour for run n gun/3-gun/2-gun type applications. Similar to KAC’s SR15 barrel contour IIRC..
    Should make for a ultra fast shooter if gassed correctly. Obviously this ain’t meant for CMP and NRA matches or ultra precision. More for action match type stuff

rdsii64

Sergeant
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Online Training Access
    Aug 19, 2008
    North Carolina, USA
    Weight is the reason I would choose one over the other. From a quality standpoint, I see no difference. A 20 inch CORE and a 20 inch .gov profile weigh about the same. Both are less than a hybrid profile. My coyote rig has a .gov BCM and its getting replaced with a 20 inch CORE this Christmas. Both my hybrid profile rifles shoot better than what they cost and I expect the same from the CORE.