• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Criterion CORE 223 Wylde barrels ...

TacticalPlinker

Private
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2012
Getting real close to pulling the trigger on an 18-in Wylde / rifle gas. Going to go with their head spaced bolt and Badger Ordinance gas block.

Anyone have experience with the CORE series barrels and how do you like them ?

Thanks - TP

Just mounted a 12.5 tonight and going to hit the range tomorrow for break in. Looking forward to it. I had a 12” Stealth barrel that would not shoot for me. Hoping for better luck from this one.

Just mounted a 12.5 tonight and going to hit the range tomorrow for break in. Looking forward to it. I had a 12” Stealth barrel that would not shoot for me. Hoping for better luck from this one.
I'm interested to hear what you think. Barrel profile seems well thought out and Criterion has a great reputation. I'm looking at the 13.9" but curious to hear how they're gassed for supressor use.

- Will

Reactions: Forgetful Coyote
I'm interested to hear what you think. Barrel profile seems well thought out and Criterion has a great reputation. I'm looking at the 13.9" but curious to hear how they're gassed for supressor use.

- Will
Just got done with my version of barrel break in. First time doing so. Gas wise - great dropped them at 3 o’clock 2-3 ft right, using Geissele h3 buffer, I believe. Did not run my suppressor yet. Only shot 50yds today. Very good results. This group was 69 smk 25 gr Varget. Will clean it tonight and hit the range tomorrow to work on groups and chrono with suppressor. 40 rounds through it and like it so far.

Attachments

• D96B5C03-735E-429D-B314-4E5FA2685B1E.png
    D96B5C03-735E-429D-B314-4E5FA2685B1E.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 255
Just got done with my version of barrel break in. First time doing so. Gas wise - great dropped them at 3 o’clock 2-3 ft right, using Geissele h3 buffer, I believe. Did not run my suppressor yet. Only shot 50yds today. Very good results. This group was 69 smk 25 gr Varget. Will clean it tonight and hit the range tomorrow to work on groups and chrono with suppressor. 40 rounds through it and like it so far.
Glad to hear you're liking it so far, and thanks for the update! Keep us posted if anything changes.

Just installed a 16" Core barrel in my AR yesterday. When I get shoot it I plan on testing a few different bullets between 55 and 77 gr. Will post results and let you guy know what I think.

Reactions: TacticalPlinker
These are chrome lined barrels...............how much precision accuracy are you really expecting, assuming 10 shot groups at 100 yards.

Yes, Criterion probably make the best CL barrels from an accuracy standpoint, but in the end, it's still CL.

Be interesting to see some real data.....................

MM

Reactions: loveha
I've been running a CORE 12.5" for about 2-3 months now and that thing is LIGHTS OUT with 62gr out to about 400m. Took it out to 600m with hornady 75gr HPBT's and was getting solid hits on steel IPSCs.
I have 6 criterions, 4 on AR's and 2 on bolt guns. They are hands down the BEST shooting AR barrels on the planet and the bolt gun barrels definitely punch well above their price point.

I'm generally happy with anything under an inch for an AR since that will take me out to 600 yards on steel easily, but always fun to see what kind of accuracy can be wrung out of a barrel. I asked Criterion about these a month ago and they claimed they're getting 3/8" groups out of their shop gun.

I'm generally happy with anything under an inch for an AR since that will take me out to 600 yards on steel easily, but always fun to see what kind of accuracy can be wrung out of a barrel. I asked Criterion about these a month ago and they claimed they're getting 3/8" groups out of their shop gun.
Ive had no issues with my 12.5" with a SOCOM RC2 can and an H2 buffer with a nonadjustable gas block. It runs like a champ.
Can or no can, im running about .5MOA with 62gr FMJ FWIW

This is a couple of groups of my hybrid profile 12.5.
Functions reliably with or without my Sandman S.

Targets below were 100yds off a bench with front rest and rear bag.
Scope was a 1-8 NX8 using the top post on the reticle. (Dot is to big for what I was doing obviously.)
I want to say this was FGMM Berger, don't think it was Sierra MK, can't remember the grain.
.80 MOA
BX_RAW_PHOTO_1592456936165.jpg

This was Barnes 62gr 5.56 TSX. Shot right after the FGMM. I actually shot the Barnes first on another target. Confused, I then went back inside and scrubbed the barrel clean of all copper and cleaned it up and grabbed two Hornady match offerings and two Federal.
I was hoping to get at least 1.5, maybe 2 MOA with this. Oh well.
5 MOA
BX_RAW_PHOTO_1592457099461.jpg

Disappointed, but not mad. I just have a really picky barrel of what it likes to eat. Still more ammo I'm looking to try. Going to buy a box of the Barnes 70gr TSX to try.
Interested to see how Federal MK318 shoots out of it as well.

Last edited:
I can see all the service rifle guy's going to CL barrels here real soon...........................

MM

I guess I should just sell-off all of my Krieger barrels, as well as my stockpile of Sierra MatchKings, since people here are getting .5MOA with 62gr FMJ with these CORE barrels.:rolleyes:

I guess I should just sell-off all of my Krieger barrels, as well as my stockpile of Sierra MatchKings, since people here are getting .5MOA with 62gr FMJ with these CORE barrels.:rolleyes:

Pretty sure the gentleman from Montana was simply joking.

Finally received my package from Criterion - 18" CORE with the recommended Badger Ordinance gas block.
18" 1/8 twist Wylde & rifle gas

Continuous taper profile looks great, definitely thinking this one will swing like a carbine with .62" at the business end.

So far very pleased with the finish and details. The black is very uniform, and the M4 feed ramps are nicely done. Threading and gas port are clean.

The Badger Ordinance gas block fits tightly as does the gas tube.

Overall whole package looks fantastic.

Plan on having a very respected builder who is on this forum put together a package for me with these. Probably sometime in early December I'll keep you posted....

Attachments

• IMG_20200918_080822~2.jpg
    IMG_20200918_080822~2.jpg
    392 KB · Views: 312
Is there any advantage to going with the Criterion Hybrid profile over the Core, or vice versa?

Is there any advantage to going with the Criterion Hybrid profile over the Core, or vice versa?

The hybrid will utilize a standard 0.750in gas block versus the CORE will require a 0.625in gas block is the biggest difference I can see.

This is probably something I can look up, but the smaller gas block diameter means (besides a different size gas block) less recoil?

I don't see how smaller diameter gas block will reduce recoil. Are you thinking of a smaller gas port?

Sorry, gas port - let me rephrase: What effect does the smaller .625 gas port have over the standard .750" port?

Sorry, gas port - let me rephrase: What effect does the smaller .625 gas port have over the standard .750" port?

You've completely misread my post. That's not the gas port size, I listed the the gas block size.

A 0.750in diameter gas block is quite common (some would consider it the standard size) and multiple vendors make them, 0.625in is not as common and may be more challenging to source. That's the biggest physical difference between the barrels along with the barrel contour. Accuracy wise they should be very similar if comparing apples to apples (ie chrome lined or not).

The driving design principal to me is the CORE series profile. It's contoured to swing fast with a balance point located closer to the chamber. The video from Criterion clearly pushes this concept.
The Hybrid looks like it's going to clearly be more nose heavy to my eyes. I don't think there's any "advantage" other than maybe slightly more accuracy by virtue of mass when heated up under increased round counts...

Here's the video , it's a little theatrical but it explains the design...

CORE VIDEO

Last edited:
IMO it’s a brilliant contour for run n gun/3-gun/2-gun type applications. Similar to KAC’s SR15 barrel contour IIRC..
Should make for a ultra fast shooter if gassed correctly. Obviously this ain’t meant for CMP and NRA matches or ultra precision. More for action match type stuff

Hi guys - has anyone measured the gas port on one of the 13.9 barrels yet? My current BCM elw is annoyingly gassy even with a low backpressure Surefire can. Trying to decide if I should swap barrels or go with something like the BRT gas port to choke my current barrel down.

Hi guys - has anyone measured the gas port on one of the 13.9 barrels yet? My current BCM elw is annoyingly gassy even with a low backpressure Surefire can. Trying to decide if I should swap barrels or go with something like the BRT gas port to choke my current barrel down.

The 13.9" has a .076 gas port diameter, which I verified with pin gauges. I'm running a VLTOR A5, A5H2 buffer, a Sionics M16 BCG, and a Dead Air brake. I also tried using a Wolff extra power rifle spring, but it was a no-go, so I ended up using a Sprinco green spring. .223 brass is ejecting at about 5 oclock and 5.56 is ejecting at 3 oclock. I haven't shot the rifle suppressed yet, but I can confidently tell you it's not over gassed.

Reactions: WillHugh

That link has video showing a Criterion CL'd barrels interior... much better then the comparison barrel.

Reactions: snarkscarbine
These are chrome lined barrels...............how much precision accuracy are you really expecting, assuming 10 shot groups at 100 yards.

Yes, Criterion probably make the best CL barrels from an accuracy standpoint, but in the end, it's still CL.

MM
Here’s a 5 shot group from my
12.5” Ballistic Advantage govt profile
SMK 77 gr 24.5 gr RL15

Attachments

• 20B058D5-441E-4CBF-A184-5F5DFD747B02.jpeg
    20B058D5-441E-4CBF-A184-5F5DFD747B02.jpeg
    755.9 KB · Views: 176

You shoot a group at 50 yards and then pretend the group was fired from 100 yards when you take pics of the group?

50_yard_grouped_measured_as_if_at_100_ya-1664048.jpg

Apparently Criterion is out of stock on all of their CORE barrels with mid-length gas systems and doesn't expect to have any in stock until 2021. It looks like I'll have to wait until spring to post some objective data.

I've been running a CORE 12.5" for about 2-3 months now and that thing is LIGHTS OUT with 62gr out to about 400m.

There it is folks, definitive data on the accuracy of Criterion CORE barrels: LIGHTS OUT.

lights_out_man_02-1664060.jpg

I have 6 criterions, 4 on AR's and 2 on bolt guns. They are hands down the BEST shooting AR barrels on the planet . . .

Better than this?

colt_socom_barrel_10_shot_group_at_10_ya-1305767.jpg

You shoot a group at 50 yards and then pretend the group was fired from 100 yards when you take pics of the group?

50_yard_grouped_measured_as_if_at_100_ya-1664048.jpg

My post says 50 yards. My app only goes down to 100. Not pretending anything big guy. That’s why I said 50.

Maybe that all changed when John died.......?

MM

I have a couple of Criterion barrels and they are excellent but I was always led to believe that Noveske were the best chrome-lined match grade barrels

I have a couple of Criterion barrels and they are excellent but I was always led to believe that Noveske were the best chrome-lined match grade barrels

Noveske chrome-lined CHF barrels are not match-grade barrels.

Noveske 16” N4 Barrel Accuracy Evaluation

16_inch_noveske_n4_02-1448322.jpg

I’ve posted short reviews of Noveske N4 Light barrels in the past, so for this article we’re going to take a more in-depth look at the Noveske 16” N4 Light barrel. For starters, Noveske’s nomenclature of “Light” for this barrel is somewhat misleading/confusing. When most shooters hear the term “light- weight” in regard to AR-15 barrels, they think of the “pencil” barrel profile of the original Colt M16/M16A1 and also the same light-weight profile of the Colt 16” carbine barrel found on the Colt 6520 and 6720. However, this is not the profile of the Noveske N4 Light barrel.

Colt M16/M16A1 barrel . . .

colt_20_inch_A1_barrel_02-1448324.jpg

Colt 6520 16” light-weight barrel . . .

colt_light_weight_barrel_with_gas_system-1448325.jpg

The stripped-weight (no flash hider, no front sight base/gas block, just the barrel and barrel extension) of the Colt 16” light-weight barrel is 1 pound, 6 ounces. The stripped-weight of the Noveske 16” N4 Light barrel is 1 pound, 12 ounces; which is the same stripped-weight of the Colt 16” government profile barrel found on the ubiquitous Colt 6920.

Colt 6920 government profile barrel . . .

Colt_16_inch_M4_profile_barrel_6920_05-1448323.jpg

Noveske 16” N4 Light barrel . . .

noveske_n4_16_inch_barrel_23-1448327.jpg

As you can see in the pics above, for the N4 Light barrel, Noveske has done away with the next-to-useless M203 (grenade launcher) cut-out found on the Colt government profile barrel. The N4 profile also has a more evenly distributed barrel diameter (and thus weight) fore and aft of the gas block journal, which moves the center of gravity of the barrel farther aft compared to a government profile barrel. This all makes for a superbly handling 16” barrel.

The reason that Noveske uses the “Light” nomenclature for their N4 barrels is simply because the N4 barrels are lighter than Noveske’s original medium contour stainless steel barrels. For comparison, the Noveske 16” medium contour Recon barrel has a stripped-weight of 2 pounds, 2 ounces and as mentioned above, the 16” N4 Light barrel has a stripped-weight of 1 pound, 12 ounces.

The Noveske 16” Recon barrel . . .

noveske_recon_barrel_out_of_the_box_fram-1448336.jpg

The Noveske 16” N4 Light barrel is a cold hammer forged barrel. It has a mid-length gas system, “M4” feed-ramps and a chrome-lined chamber and bore. The barrel has a 5.56mm NATO chamber and a 1:7” twist and has been high-pressure/magnetic particle tested; as the barrel stamp indicates. Contrary to erroneous Internet reports, the N4 barrel does not have polygonal rifling.

The barrel stamp . . .

nnef26zvhhneds44z1tgcut3kec4ybx0.jpg

The mid-length gas system . . .

noveske_n4_midlength_gas_system_01-1448329.jpg

For this evaluation, I used one of my standard match-grade hand-loads topped with Sierra 55 grain BlitzKings. When fired from my Krieger barreled AR-15s, this load has produced ½ MOA 10-shot groups at 100 yards.

005_match_krieger_with_55_blitzkings_and-1448321.jpg

Three, 10-shot groups were fired in a row from the Noveske 16” N4 Light barrel from a distance of 100 yards with the resulting extreme spreads:

1.29”
1.18”
1.31”

for a 10-shot group average extreme spread of 1.26”. The three, 10-shot groups were over-layed on each other using RSI Shooting Lab to form a 30-shot composite group. The mean radius of the 30-shot composite group was0.37”.

After firing the above three groups, I fired an additional five, 10-shot groups in a row for a total of eight, 10-shot groups fired in a row. The average extreme spread for all eight of the 10-shot groups was 1.24”. I over-layed all eight of the 10-shot groups on each other using RSI Shooting Lab to form an 80-shot composite group. The mean radius for the 80-shot composite group was 0.39”.

Noveske 14.5" N4 Barrel Accuracy Evaluation

noveske_n4_14_5_inch_upper_01-1726186.jpg

The 14.5” N4 barrel was tested in the same manner as described above. Three 10-shot groups fired from 100 yards using match grade hand-loads had extreme spreads of:

1.029”
1.360”
1.275”

for a 10-shot group average of 1.22”. As above, I over-layed the three 10-shot groups on each other using RSI Shooting lab to form a 30-shot composite group. The mean radius for that composite group was 0.37”.

Last edited: