• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes cronus on sale @ Cabelas

airstream

Private
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2017
Today thru Nov. 22 $1000 Cabelas. Someone mentioned a week ago that Midway was to have a sale also; never saw it.

Good deal...too bad they aren't offering it on the BTR

Good deal...too bad they aren't offering it on the BTR

Rumor has it that Athlon will be phasing out the Cronus this coming year, so if it were to get broken the replacement would be a BTR.

don't forget their new military discount. 10% this week.

I gotta stop reading this site... There goes 1k... I have wanted a second one pretty much since I got one last year for my 223ai

midway one sold out few hours . $899 for vets + taxes sucks I going to pass on it. Spending $ racing 18

Nevermind, I just now saw the banner about it. Thanks for the insight, I'll try calling customer service and see if they can correct me being an idiot lol

Midway sold out of these scopes in a flash - was a little surprised to be able to get one of the mil models from Cabelas yesterday when I called to place an order. Actually, I was a bit disappointed when I found that Athlon had dumped the remaining inventory of the original Cronus 4.5-29x56 scopes to Midway, Cabelas, and ??. If they'd given some of us small-time dealers a chance to buy them, I'm pretty sure we'd have handled a large part of the ones they had left. But what the heck - I had over $580 points saved up on my Cabelas Club card, so net cost of a NIB Cronus was $520 - not a bad deal in my book.

This makes four of these scopes I've bought, and so far, the one & only complaint I've had with them is how stiff the parallax knob is to turn. Sucks when I'm shooting a 22RF 40X repeater in a match and have to make quick parallax focus changes when shooting 25, 50, 75, & 100yd targets in random order under short time constraints.

What's the difference between BTR and non?

http://jadeprecision.blogspot.com/2017/06/athlon-optics-cronus-btr-initial-review.html
The Cronus BTR maintains the 4.5 – 29x magnification range, FFP, zero-stop and 34mm tube of its predecessor Cronus, but has moved on from the APLR1 reticle and into the APRS reticle. The illumination control and battery enclosure door has been reshaped to prevent accidental opening and the markings on the parallax knob now reflect the distance to the target better. The internals here have been made to spread out the focus over a longer turn radius of the dial than is on the original Cronus. The elevation knob has larger font, more tactile and audible clicks and a slightly beefier and improved ZS system.

Cronus APLR
APLR-FFP-IR-MIL-452956-1024x512.png

BTR- APRS
APRS-FFP-IR-MIL-452956-1024x512.png

I just had to jump on this deal,it's hard to resist saving that much on a decent scope.

Thanks for the response.

Hmm tempted to try one and see what the hooplas all about.

Dang it's in my cabelas cart with mil discount for $900 right now but don't have anything needing a scope!

Gotta buy a new rifle then... I didn't have anything bare but it is an upgrade to my varmint rifle. Price was too good. I think I actually like the old reticle better.

I had one and I thought it was a good buy at $1500.
Mine tracked properly.
I did the grease fix for the elevation turret and the clicks were okay.
The reticle line weight was a little heavy but at least you can still see it at the lowest mag.
I noticed they removed some of the .2 mil hashes on the BTR reticle, so I'm really okay with the original.

I ordered one last night, $1060 shipped. I have a .223AI/TL2 barreled that will have a stock soon, and this scope will be quite happy on top.

Thanks for the heads up.

Damn tax... man so don't need another scope... to order or not to order.

For my next build I have been researching everything out there. I have an XTR II and some SWFA's and wanted to step up without going over $2,500. I recently ran across Athlon and had decided on the BTR...until my Cabelas ad showed up this week. Couldn't turn down $500 shipped after I used my points. From the reviews I should buy another for $1000. $700 off is ridiculous

I've still been able to resist. Scud telling me it competes with a Gen 2 Razor is making this stupidly difficult.

Trying so hard to hold off for Black Friday and a new S&B.... SO HARDDDDDDDDDDD

scudzuki - What a coincidence, I just pulled the Cronus off my Bighorn TL2-SA in 223AI to use on a V-22 22RF build. I put a spare Weaver 6-30x56 back on the TL2, but haven't zeroed it yet. When the Cronus I bought from Cabelas gets here, I'm seriously thinking it ought to go back on the TL2. I can put that Weaver on a TL2-LA in 6.5x55AI instead...it now wears a Bushnell FDE 3.5-21x50 ERS, which I'm probably going to list in the classifieds here on the Hide.

I've always liked the Bushnell, but when it comes down to a comparison between it & the Cronus, the Cronus gets my vote. Selling the Bushnell would free up the $$$ to place an order for the newer Cronus BTR in what they're calling 'brown' anodized finish. Looks more like bronze to me on my monitor, but only way to find out for sure is to get one coming.

If I didn't just buy a helos I would be getting this. Wish I had the funds this is a great scope.

Sigh.. i have no self control. :( Looking forward to playing with it when it arrives. Seems I need to quickly begin with a grease fix.

Currently in need of one scope. Was gonna buy something like atacr or s&b. I don't know if I can resist this price.

Mine arrived today, a day early (thanks UPS).
Immediately I greased the turret o-rings with AMSoil synthetic grease.
I don't have the first one I bought to do a side to side comparison but it seems they increased the spring weight on the pawl (detent).
Everything else is as I remember, my only gripe being how small the numbers are on the turret knobs.
It's much more scope than what I had envisioned buying for the rifle it's going on. Nothing wrong with that!

What rings are you guys using? Would the scope clear with Seekins Low rings? Or do you have to do the high rings?

Hmm from what I’m reading, most folks out the Cronus as a competitor to the gen2 razor so it’s likely the Cronus would be significantly better optically than the viper.

That's about what I was thinking. I have a gen2 razor and like it a lot, other than the weight. Have read that the BTR is the improved version of the gen 1 cronus but the sale at cabelas is pretty tempting as a replacement for a gen 1 pst that I currently have on my prs gas gun.

That's about what I was thinking. I have a gen2 razor and like it a lot, other than the weight. Have read that the BTR is the improved version of the gen 1 cronus but the sale at cabelas is pretty tempting as a replacement for a gen 1 pst that I currently have on my prs gas gun.
The Gen 2 PST is in an entirely different league than the Gen 1 PST IMHO (better illumination, better optical clarity, added Razor Gen 1 zero stop, very good turrets, etc.). Either the Cronus or PST Gen 2 would be an upgrade. I'm not a fan of the Gen 1 Cronus reticle, so that would be a downside for me.

That's my concern about the Gen 1 Cronus, too. Seems like quite a few nice upgrades to the Gen 2 BTR model, including a cleaner reticle. I'd be using it mainly for PRS and being able to quickly use the reticle for holds is important. As mentioned, I have a Gen 1 PST and have seem the Gen 2 and agree it appears to be a great upgrade from the model I have. Just another factor to make my decision tougher!!!

Too me what stands out with the regular Cronus vs other scopes mentioned in this thread is the outstanding glass, reticle, elevation travel - 33 mils, daylight bright illume and 29x. It is a compact scope and not too heavy.

The reticle, although thicker than the one in the BTR, has .2's round about and gives the illusion of being bigger than it actually is on low power because of the staggered hash's, meaning you can see it plainly vs some other reticles that are hard to make out at low power.

Pretty much destroys anything out there you could buy new in the $999 region. It's a catch 22 for me vs the BTR version because I like both reticles for different reasons.

The certain features a scope offers, or all together as the whole.....

Those are very interesting points since everything I've seen regarding the glass quality is consistent with your comments. Also, your comment about the reticle thickness and .2 mil hashes make a good point. As mentioned, I have a Gen2 Razor and ended up taking if off my AI 308MC since it made a heavy gun even heavier and replaced it with a S&B PM ll with the gen ii XR reticle. Great glass but the reticle is a bit fine for my aging eyes. This buy would be for my RPR and like the idea of something that's reasonably priced for that type of gun but with the kinds of features you're referencing. Hmm......

Too me what stands out with the regular Cronus vs other scopes mentioned in this thread is the outstanding glass, reticle, elevation travel - 33 mils, daylight bright illume and 29x. It is a compact scope and not too heavy.

The reticle, although thicker than the one in the BTR, has .2's round about and gives the illusion of being bigger than it actually is on low power because of the staggered hash's, meaning you can see it plainly vs some other reticles that are hard to make out at low power.

Pretty much destroys anything out there you could buy new in the $999 region. It's a catch 22 for me vs the BTR version because I like both reticles for different reasons.

The certain features a scope offers, or all together as the whole.....

This, I got mine yesterday. Ran it out and sight it in this morning. At our range you shoot south, and this time of year the sun is low in the sky making lots of glare. Glass noticeably better than the LRHS, tracking was on to 9 mils, and RTZ was perfect. The turrets feel fine to me, but it is hard to see where you are lined up on the windage turret. I sure wish they would include a sun shade and some bikini covers though. It seems to me Athlon is trying very hard to give the best value at any given price point. The Cronus and the Ares are both on the right track.

This, I got mine yesterday. Ran it out and sight it in this morning. At our range you shoot south, and this time of year the sun is low in the sky making lots of glare. Glass noticeably better than the LRHS, tracking was on to 9 mils, and RTZ was perfect. The turrets feel fine to me, but it is hard to see where you are lined up on the windage turret. I sure wish they would include a sun shade and some bikini covers though. It seems to me Athlon is trying very hard to give the best value at any given price point. The Cronus and the Ares are both on the right track.

Found their sun shade for less than $30. Seems a fair price. :)

They actually also have the sunshade at Cabelas and will ship free if combined with the scope; $29 for the shade

Well I ordered me one the other day. Don’t really have the funds for it but that’s what credit cards are for right? I have the Cronus BTR on my 6.5 creedmoor and can’t say enough good about it. I’m excited for to get it but can’t decide to wether to put it on my 7mm mag or 308.

Just put in my order at Cabelas for the scope and sunshade. Appears that they're almost out of stock. Don't delay if you want one!

Good to hear you like it! I agree both lines are a outstanding value.

The PST2's are becoming more prevalent so I'm able to check them out more and more. Their nice but not what I would expect for the money. In other words I'd rather get a Ares for less or step up to a Cronus BTR.

I believe this is the last run of the Cronus. Athlon would make less money but I think they should continue making these and selling them for less than what they were going for before this big closeout came about. Even at say $1200, it's still a steal!

Another idea is lowering the retail price so it qualifies for the standard/stock division in the PRS too.

I do wish they'd offer the APLR3 reticle in the Cronus BTR and retain the smaller line width of the "+" center out to the first mil! As my kids would say, "Oh snap", I just designed the APLR4 reticle.

Good to hear you like it! I agree both lines are a outstanding value.

The PST2's are becoming more prevalent so I'm able to check them out more and more. Their nice but not what I would expect for the money. In other words I'd rather get a Ares for less or step up to a Cronus BTR.

I believe this is the last run of the Cronus. Athlon would make less money but I think they should continue making these and selling them for less than what they were going for before this big closeout came about. Even at say $1200, it's still a steal!

Another idea is lowering the retail price so it qualifies for the standard/stock division in the PRS too.

I do wish they'd offer the APLR3 reticle in the Cronus BTR and retain the smaller line width of the "+" center out to the first mil! As my kids would say, "Oh snap", I just designed the APLR4 reticle.

No more Cronus? Or do you mean they will make the Cronus BTR only? I agree they could grab a much bigger market share in the 1200-1300 range. I like the APLR3, but the APLR4 sounds better.

No more Cronus? Or do you mean they will make the Cronus BTR only? I agree they could grab a much bigger market share in the 1200-1300 range. I like the APLR3, but the APLR4 sounds better.

Just the original Cronus, unless things have changed and I'm unaware. The BTR is their upgraded flagship product now.

Appears the Cabelas deal is still available on the original Cronus but only for backorder now; the BTR is regular price

Cabela's was showing "limited stock" at local store, so I ran over there over lunch. Not a one in sight - apparently it was REALLY limited.