• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes cronus on sale @ Cabelas

Same thing happened to me here in CT; that's why the backorder option seemed to be the only one left, although if they're phasing these out, not sure where they would be coming from??

I scored one of these at my local Cabelas. I decided to take a chance when I saw “limited stock” at at my store on the website. The guy working the optics counter had no idea it was there. It took a while for him to find it. There was only one in the store.

my initial impression is positive. I’m a big fan of anything assembled at LOW in Japan. I just couldnt pass up such a good deal on a nice scope.

I’m not sure if I’ll replace my G1 Razor with this, or if I’ll sell it to my father to if her decides to sell is SWFA 5-20 and upgrade. I’ve been torn between a G2 Razor ans AMG for awhile, now this new scope and the Cronus BTR have my reconsidering.

Mine showed up today. I pulled the turret caps and cleaned off the factory grease,then re-lubed the o-rings. The turrets are loud and proud now!

My ARC rings should arrive tomorrow,then I just need to decide which rifle to put it on.

If anyone bought a Cronus because of this deal and wants to sell it, let me know! Cabelas just informed me that my order was canceled....they must have ran out. :(

Got mine today. Initial impression is this is one helluva scope. Gonna get some time behind it soon.

I’ll sell mine for $1500, Lol

As a member here we'll hook you up on the newer updated Cronus BTR for that :)

Thank you for your continued support.
If there is anything else we can assist you with please let me know.
Doug
Camera Land
720 Old Bethpage Rd
Old Bethpage NY 11804
516-217-1000
Please visit our website @ www.cameralandny.com

Mine came yesterday; was initially a little disappointed when I found that the package I saw at the back door when I drove in wasn't the Vudoo V-22 action I'm expecting...but after getting it opened & inspected, I found the parallax knob moves a little easier than two of the other three of these scopes I've got, and the clicks/detents on the knobs are slightly more distinct than the other three, even after installing the smaller O-rings that Athlon sent out for them. This one's also got 500 & 1000yd marks on the parallax knob (as does one of the other three), while the other two have only a 250yd mark between 100yds & infinity. Does anyone know if the addition of the 500 & 1000yd markings on the parallax knob marks these two scopes as later models than the ones with just the 250yd mark?

Whatever - the glass appears to be at least as good as I've come to expect out of the Cronus line (very good, no complaints to my eyes), and it's going to look great atop the V-22 when I get that action & have time to do the bbl work, get it bedded into a Manners Elite T4A, and then finally get it CeraKoted. Maybe by then the two pairs of Seekins 34mm rings I've had on order for awhile will get here...on actions with 20-25 MOA sloped rails & sendero contour bbls, I've found there's plenty of clearance for the objective bell with either Seekins/Vortex .92" rings. They were out of stock when I placed the order for two more sets of 1" height rings. The stocks I'll probably wind up using these rings on both have adjustable cheekpieces, so the slightly higher rings won't really matter to me on them.

Received mine on Wednesday and was able to get it mounted on my 6.5 semi. Very solid scope for the money, so far looking great.

Only issue was was trying to get it zeroed...... oh wait .......

Attachments

• photo79385.jpg
    photo79385.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 23
I went and looked at one at Cabelas and compared it to the Viper PST GEN II, and was not impressed. I saw this, went to my Cabelas store, looked at them comparatively and I was a little shocked about the quality compared to the Viper GEN II. Maybe mine was just a fluke? I didn't like the reticle as much, the picture quality wasn't as clean, nor was it as bright. The magnification was pretty stiff. But not everyone's eyes are the same, and maybe mine was just a fluke as it was the show model on the floor. But man, I sure was ready to buy it...

Mine just came in last night and my initial impressions are very positive. I was thinking I wouldn't like the Gen l reticle but actually find it pretty easy to quickly read the mil markings. As others have said, every scope and reticle takes time to get used to but I've seen several others that appear tougher to adjust to that this one.

As others have also said, glass is pretty subjective after a certain point of quality, at least to my eyes, but certainly think this is very nice glass. I have an S&B PM II and Razor Gen ii, along with an unfortunately longer list of lower end scopes that are now gathering dust, and while it can be legitimately argued that this one doesn't compare to the high end of the lines mentioned, it looks pretty darn good to me, even at high magnification.

The magnification turret was pretty tight out of the box but seems to be loosening up already after only about 20 min of playing with it. The elevation turret is a bit more fluid than I'm used to and would be interested to hear more about what others have done to "tweak" that on theirs.

Haven't mounted it yet but my initial plan of seeing how it looks and maybe turning around and selling it have changed. For $1000, this scope isn't going anywhere except on top of one of my rifles.

Just mounted the Cronus on my RPR after taking off the Razor Gen ii; feels like the gun lost 10 lbs. Wish I could......

Just mounted the Cronus on my RPR after taking off the Razor Gen ii; feels like the gun lost 10 lbs. Wish I could......

What height rings did you use? Thinking I’ll put mine on my RPR also and want it as low as I can get it.

I went with the high Seekins rings; same ones that I had the Razor mounted; didn't have much choice due to the picatinny rail on top of my RPR. Never had a problem with that height.

Has anyone put flip caps on theirs yet? I was hoping to use the Razor Gen II size defender caps, any luck with that?

Thanks Robo, that’s exactly what I wanted I wanted hear.

Sure thing. It was nice to be able to recycle something vs. having to just buy something else new. I was considering another set of Tenebraex caps but too pricey for this set-up. The defenders work just fine.

Sigh.. i have no self control. :( Looking forward to playing with it when it arrives. Seems I need to quickly begin with a grease fix.

Lol!! Dave im happy you have no self control becuse I'm Anxiously awaiting a review of this optic from you
asI wouldn't mind trying one out myself.

Lol!! Dave im happy you have no self control becuse I'm Anxiously awaiting a review of this optic from you
asI wouldn't mind trying one out myself.

Haha I’ll be comparing it directly to my Razor Gen2. :)

I mounted and zeroed the Cronus on my TRG. It was uncomfortably windy at the range last weekend so I didn’t spend as much time shooting as I would have liked.

Glass is incredible, but I only was able to shoot to 300 yds. It tracks accurate up 1.2 mils so far.

I liked the reticle more than I expected. The extra magnification was great over the 20x I’ve been using.

I have to say this scope is winning me over. I’m most likely going to put my Gen1 Razor up for sale. Right now I’m strongly considering selling this Cabelas sale Cronus to my dad and getting a BTR for myself. I’m really looking forward to comparing head to head with a Razor Gen2 over the holiday weekend.

I mounted and zeroed the Cronus on my TRG. It was uncomfortably windy at the range last weekend so I didn’t spend as much time shooting as I would have liked.

Glass is incredible, but I only was able to shoot to 300 yds. It tracks accurate up 1.2 mils so far.

I liked the reticle more than I expected. The extra magnification was great over the 20x I’ve been using.

I have to say this scope is winning me over. I’m most likely going to put my Gen1 Razor up for sale. Right now I’m strongly considering selling this Cabelas sale Cronus to my dad and getting a BTR for myself. I’m really looking forward to comparing head to head with a Razor Gen2 over the holiday weekend.

I know a lot of guys seem to be favoring the BTR reticle version, especially since Athlon made some other improvements in the overall build of the optic, but wonder if it's $700 better given the sale that some of us were able to take advantage of at Cabelas before they were all gone?

I got out and sighted in the Cronus on my RPR .308 today and have to say I'm extremely impressed with the optic so far. My local range is only 200 yards so I didn't get to stretch in out yet but that will happen over the next few weeks when I can up to our 1000 yard range. The glass is crystal clear, even at max magnification and I find the reticle easy to work with. In comparing to my S&B PM II and Razor Gen ii, it might not be quite in the same class, but for $1000, it's very, very nice.

I found the directions on setting up the zero stop a bit funky but figured out that you need to align the stop screws under the base plate before locking in the side screws. Other than that, I set the stop .4 mils below zero which is something I do like that the Razor automatically allows for. I really like the illumination since it provides a wide range of settings with an off stop between each level that even my S&B doesn't have.

Will be curious how others like this one compared to what you've been using.

I got out and sighted in the Cronus on my RPR .308 today and have to say I'm extremely impressed with the optic so far. My local range is only 200 yards so I didn't get to stretch in out yet but that will happen over the next few weeks when I can up to our 1000 yard range. The glass is crystal clear, even at max magnification and I find the reticle easy to work with. In comparing to my S&B PM II and Razor Gen ii, it might not be quite in the same class, but for $1000, it's very, very nice.

I found the directions on setting up the zero stop a bit funky but figured out that you need to align the stop screws under the base plate before locking in the side screws. Other than that, I set the stop .4 mils below zero which is something I do like that the Razor automatically allows for. I really like the illumination since it provides a wide range of settings with an off stop between each level that even my S&B doesn't have.

Will be curious how others like this one compared to what you've been using.

I haven't had a chance to take my recently acquired Cronus out yet, but had a quick question about the zero stop plate. I did take the turrets off and looked at the zero stop shim. There was 1 screw protruding on the underside of the shim and 1 screw on the scope turret itself. Did you have to position the shim to have the screw sit right next to the screw on the turret mount?

I haven't had a chance to take my recently acquired Cronus out yet, but had a quick question about the zero stop plate. I did take the turrets off and looked at the zero stop shim. There was 1 screw protruding on the underside of the shim and 1 screw on the scope turret itself. Did you have to position the shim to have the screw sit right next to the screw on the turret mount?

Yes, as you mention, if you look on the bottom of the black base plate, you'll see the protruding screw and the identical looking one on the turret. Just align those two right next to each other in the direction that would prevent the turret from turning downward when fixed; then you can tighten the 3 side screws. I didn't align them the first time I did it and it locked in the zero but then locked the elevation about 2 mils later since they weren't aligned.

Yes, as you mention, if you look on the bottom of the black base plate, you'll see the protruding screw and the identical looking one on the turret. Just align those two right next to each other in the direction that would prevent the turret from turning downward when fixed; then you can tighten the 3 side screws. I didn't align them the first time I did it and it locked in the zero but then locked the elevation about 2 mils later since they weren't aligned.

Awesome. Thanks for the confirmation.

I was finally able to mount my cronus and take it out to get a feel for the glass and reticle (no shooting, just looking). I currently live in a very open area so there are plenty of things far away to look at to try out the glass. I roughly test resolution on a telephone pole warning sign at ~540 yards, and the cronus definitely picked up the colors, lines, and shapes better than my gen i razor. I was also able to use the reticle to range a service door on a barn at 1456 yards vs a google maps distance of 1411. My bushnell conx doesn't work that far, so it's nice to know the reticle is very capable for ranging. I also looked at a stop sign at 1730 yards and a truck at 2110 yards (both according to google maps) and image quality was fantastic. If I were capable of shooting that far, the scope would not hold me back on image quality. For reference, I ranged the door at 15x and looked at the stop sign and truck from 20-25x. In my opinion, the eyebox doesn't get tight until above 25x, and I only dialed all the way up to 29x to get a good look at the mirage. All in all, I believe this is optically a very capable scope, and I hope this helps anyone who hasn't been able to look at things way out there yet.

I was finally able to mount my cronus and take it out to get a feel for the glass and reticle (no shooting, just looking). I currently live in a very open area so there are plenty of things far away to look at to try out the glass. I roughly test resolution on a telephone pole warning sign at ~540 yards, and the cronus definitely picked up the colors, lines, and shapes better than my gen i razor. I was also able to use the reticle to range a service door on a barn at 1456 yards vs a google maps distance of 1411. My bushnell conx doesn't work that far, so it's nice to know the reticle is very capable for ranging. I also looked at a stop sign at 1730 yards and a truck at 2110 yards (both according to google maps) and image quality was fantastic. If I were capable of shooting that far, the scope would not hold me back on image quality. For reference, I ranged the door at 15x and looked at the stop sign and truck from 20-25x. In my opinion, the eyebox doesn't get tight until above 25x, and I only dialed all the way up to 29x to get a good look at the mirage. All in all, I believe this is optically a very capable scope, and I hope this helps anyone who hasn't been able to look at things way out there yet.

Thanks for the long distance info. No place around here that you can see that far away but good confirmation of my initial impressions of the quality of this optic. I agree that the eye box starts to get a bit tighter >25x but doubt I'll be using that magnification very often.

Another thing to note is that’s the warning sign at 540 is just on the other side of a blacktop road that kicks off a lot of mirage, so it was nice to see how well the glass handled the mirage. My Cronus has the updated finely graduated parallax knob, and the yardage indicators lined up really well with reality, which is always nice.

Another thing to note is that’s the warning sign at 540 is just on the other side of a blacktop road that kicks off a lot of mirage, so it was nice to see how well the glass handled the mirage. My Cronus has the updated finely graduated parallax knob, and the yardage indicators lined up really well with reality, which is always nice.

It's interesting that you mention the parallax knob since I haven't had a chance to use it beyond 200 yet. I was wondering how it would work given that it jumps from 250 to infinity. I'm used to others that allow for adjustments to around 600 before they jump to infinity. Any issues with that at various long distances?

So is it well worth the effort to offload my XTRii 5-25 and pick one of these up for a replacement?

I should have been more specific. There are two versions of the parallax knob out there, there’s a post somewhere around here where the specific graduations are broken down. I so happened to get the new one that goes 250 500 1000 infinity. As with most parallaxes I’ve used, past 400 or 500 the Cronus doesnt need much adjustment. My only concern with the knob is how stiff it is, I’ve almost adjusted the illumination a few times trying to move the parallax.

I’ve got one on back order and should arrive tomorrow. Hopefully won’t look out of place on a CZ 452 trainer

I should have been more specific. There are two versions of the parallax knob out there, there’s a post somewhere around here where the specific graduations are broken down. I so happened to get the new one that goes 250 500 1000 infinity. As with most parallaxes I’ve used, past 400 or 500 the Cronus doesnt need much adjustment. My only concern with the knob is how stiff it is, I’ve almost adjusted the illumination a few times trying to move the parallax.

I guess I got the older version that goes from 250 to infinity and I'll have to see how that goes once I get out a bit further. I agree the knob is tight and hope it will start to loosen up with time. I've also hit the illumination knob once or twice and almost spun the battery cap off. Will just take some time to get used to that. Overall, a minor issue so far.

I think this thread is more or less the Cronus thread now. I went out a couple days ago and shot at a friend's farm in the -5 with wind chill weather and the scope held up great, so anyone looking at this for a long range hunting optic in nasty weather should be good to go. I haven't changed out the turret grease and I probably won't, and the turrets felt the same in the cold, while my SWFA turrets were starting to feel a pretty mushy (but still tracked just fine). God bless Wisconsin being borderline unlivable for four months a year.

I think this thread is more or less the Cronus thread now. I went out a couple days ago and shot at a friend's farm in the -5 with wind chill weather and the scope held up great, so anyone looking at this for a long range hunting optic in nasty weather should be good to go. I haven't changed out the turret grease and I probably won't, and the turrets felt the same in the cold, while my SWFA turrets were starting to feel a pretty mushy (but still tracked just fine). God bless Wisconsin being borderline unlivable for four months a year.

Very happy with my Cronus so far, too. Great glass for the money!