• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Crowd-Funded Precision Shooting Studies??

wadebrown

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Oct 18, 2008
    Minnesota
    I very much like what padom is doing in 308win Bartlein 5R vs Krieger 4 Groove Accuracy Testing, bringing sound experimental design into our world of shooting is a plus.

It takes time and money to investigate some of the nagging questions we shooters have, in light of that would we, the precision shooting community, support projects of this nature through GoFundMe or similar platform? Here is what I was thinking, people could propose studies to the SH community and the users could vote on what they are interested in, the winning idea(s) could migrate to GoFundMe. Ideally if you voted for an idea you would follow up with a contribution for that study, with the understanding that we all have different comfort zones for donations.

Here is an example of a study that I would be interested in, I am not proposing this to get funding for a project of mine. To eliminate any possible conflict of interest should something like this be formed I won't submit a project for funding.

Title: Does Nitriding a Rifle Barrel Increase Usable Barrel Life?

Description/Abstract: This investigation will compare the usable life of nitrided versus non-nitrided barrels, usable barrel life is defined as the number of rounds fired while the barrel still maintaining 1 MOA. The barrels will be as uniform as possible, same manaufacture, contour, twist rate, length, and material. The same reamer and chambering techniques will be used and the same gunsmith will do the chambering. The same action brand and type will be used for all testing. The course of fire will be used for all testing, ... n barrels of each will be tested using the same caliber and cartridge. (I have not given enough thought to estimate the minimum number of barrels (n) that would start to give us some usable information. If we were the feds we might say 100 of each, but our budget is much less. The budget might not be large enough to sample enough barrels to get statistically significant results.)

Budget: TBD

Time Frame:
    TBD

Deliverables: What data will be presented and made available to the community, all data raw and analyzed should be made available.

Dispersal of Non-Consumables:
    It would be a good idea to sell any materials, tools, parts, ... that were purchased with crowd sourced funds and donate the proceeds to another study. Or maybe the money could be returned to the funders proportionally based upon contribution.

Funding is just one benefit the SH community could provide, the collective wisdom here could help design better experiments and analysis of the results.

Just some thoughts on a Saturday AM,
    wade

Reactions: OREGUN