• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Crown appears to have been destroyed by "gunsmith"

It's not really a "know better" situation it's more of a how to make it work situation. People thread undersized barrels and make them work, just not my personal preference. I have a rifle I want to eventually cut down and thread and as soon as it's cut the muzzle OD will be .650" as well ... so I'll be facing the same issue eventually.

The main problem with not having a "proper" shoulder is there isn't much to square the suppressor on.

Class 3 machining in Dallas is a place I trust. If you give him a .650 barrel to thread 5/8x24 he will thread it if you really want him to but "no warranty".

I'm pretty sure you don't need to worry about warranty. :)

My biggest worry at this point would be cocentricity or whether or not the threads are accurately aligned with the path of the bore.

Getting that barrel recrowned would be the least of my worries but one of my biggest annoyances.

This is one solution for threading a thin barrel. When I'm ready to thread that thin barrel of mine I'll be trying to find someone who can do this.

View attachment 8212296

Nice info! I see now about the shoulder issue.

Call Karl Feldkamp of Kampfeld customs. He is a solid and reputable guy and will probably do it for you. You will have to send the rifle out.
I'll be glad to vouch for Karl, he fluted some barrels for me. Did a good job, no suprises. Nice guy, lives in/around Sandpoint Idaho.

Hey y'all this is my first post unfortunately. I was about to mount a Razor Gen II 3-18 I just bought off of @xxflyingturtlexx (great condition and nice packaging btw no issue there), on a bergara b14 hunter .300wm that I had the barrel threaded by someone in MS who seems to be a wannabe gunsmith. I am attaching pics to show the damage caused to my crown. I ran a qtip inside the barrel and the burred edges were so sharp it cut the qtip in half! Glad I didn't start shooting...

Unfortunately the man would not back up his work so I am going to take it to someone who is competent. Let this be a warning to those are considering taking their property to an unknown smith. I learned my lesson the hard way..
Do you have proof this guy you are slandering did the job ?

Reactions: doubloon
Mostly a recap of what others have posted:
Not enough of a shoulder for a suppressor mount. Post #50 by @doubloon covers some good solutions, but I would not fudge the minimum shoulder dimension with a 300WM suppressor. Another option might be a MD which indexes off the crown instead of the shoulder, I don't know if the YHM is suitable. Watch your minimum barrel length for a 300WM with a suppressor, for the YHM can it's 20".
If you haven't already ordered the suppressor and these solutions are beyond your budget, chamfering the crown and throwing on a thread protector would be the cheapest option. A T-handle chamfering tool with a pilot is OK, but you can mess up the bore if used incorrectly.

Not enough of a shoulder for a suppressor mount. Post #50 by @doubloon covers some good solutions, but I would not fudge the minimum shoulder dimension with a 300WM suppressor. Another option might be a MD which indexes off the crown instead of the shoulder, I don't know if the YHM is suitable. Watch your minimum barrel length for a 300WM with a suppressor, for the YHM can it's 20".
If you haven't already ordered the suppressor and these solutions are beyond your budget, chamfering the crown and throwing on a thread protector would be the cheapest option. A T-handle chamfering tool with a pilot is OK, but you can mess up the bore if used incorrectly.
That’s great feedback. Good point about minimum barrel length.

That’s great feedback. Good point about minimum barrel length.
It’s sitting at 23.25” rn so I have room to work

Reactions: doubloon
There’s no protector on it. Pics look good on my end.
Then there may have been some compression on upload, below is what I see. Also that donut around the outside looked like a really thin protector to me from the forward angle ... that's why I couldn't decide if you had a .650" or .700" barrel profile.

The point from @msgriff about muzzle indexing is a good one I usually forget about because I don't think it's an option for my old Liberty Freedom.

I wouldn't shoot it suppressed as is but I wouldn't have any fear of seeing what it does at 100 yds unsuppressed. But if all you have is hunting ammo that could be an expensive experiment with little value. I've seen some pretty nasty muzzles that shoot just fine. Then there's this guy who cut a barrel at less than 90 degrees with a grinder and still got ~MOA average groups.

45417216-042E-4D30-AB2E-90A512CA3F04.jpeg

I am glad you stopped before you had a baffle strike in your suppressor. I am sure the places mentioned can explain what you need to get enough shoulder for s suppressor on that barrel. A lot need around .720-.750 at the muzzle.

If you decide to mail it out I highly recommend LRI

Try tapping on the screen where the threads are before taking the photo. The camera will focus on the tapped area. Might help with the clarity.

Reactions: vh20
Try tapping on the screen where the threads are before taking the photo. The camera will focus on the tapped area. Might help with the clarity.
Yeah, the camera is focused on the table in the background, not the barrel.

Wow. Not sure which is better, the crown, the threads, or that shoulder. 🙃

On the plus side, when you have that cut off you might have enough meat for a proper shoulder for the can or brake.

Reactions: Mississippi-tacA1
I seen some bad ones, but got me beat. Holy shit. I can see why you didn't screw a can on it. 🤣🤣🤣 makes some of the shitty threads I have seen lately look downright respectable.

It's bullshit. You should be out enjoying it instead of having some dickwadgunplumer screw it up for you. I bet 20 bucks just like posted above. That goof ball threaded your barrel with die.

All the more reasons to have extra barrels and the tools to attach and remove them. 🤣🤣🤣

Just fyi I’m a self taught gunsmith. Just ordered all the stuff to shorten that up and thread it for you. Guaranteed to sammich specs. What’s optimal for a 300 anyways….? Like 16” right?

Just send me the barrel. Just to help me out mark which end you need cut and threaded in case I’m drinking when I do it

FYI it will still look better when I’m finished

The DYI gunsmith kit is ordered
IMG_5732.jpeg
IMG_5733.jpeg
IMG_5735.jpeg
IMG_5734.jpeg

Just fyi I’m a self taught gunsmith. Just ordered all the stuff to shorten that up and thread it for you. Guaranteed to sammich specs. What’s optimal for a 300 anyways….? Like 16” right?

Just send me the barrel. Just to help me out mark which end you need cut and threaded in case I’m drinking when I do it

View attachment 8214885View attachment 8214886View attachment 8214887View attachment 8214888
Where can I find you on “The facebooks”

• Haha

View attachment 8214885View attachment 8214886View attachment 8214887View attachment 8214888
Mine didn’t come with the Sharpie, I got the advanced kit:
1693269685628.jpeg

🤣👍