• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing cryo treatment

Re: cryo treatment

Guy's that have it done swear by it not at.
It is a proven process in other industries.
There is a BR guy in OH that does it.
Come on out to a steel shoot, and somebody should be able to hook you up with more info

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TCA4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guy's that have it done swear by it not at.
</div></div>

Does that mean they Do or Do Not swear by them after the process?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jimmy2Times</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Could I just dunk my barrel in liquid nitrogen for a while, or is there more to it than that? </div></div>

I don't think you can just dunk the barrel in liquid nitrogen. You could ruin the barrel that way (something to do with thermal shock). The cryo process is a slow controlled cool down to extreme low temps and also a controlled slow heating process to bring the barrel up to high temperatures to relieve the internal stresses in the barrel steels.

so basically it removes the stress from the barrel? some companies claim to use a heat treating method for this same thing. is heating a barrel to relieve stress as effective?

A smith Im using loves it, feels the barrels are easier to machine and everything cuts cleaner.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Norcal Phoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A smith Im using loves it, feels the barrels are easier to machine and everything cuts cleaner. </div></div>

Yes cryo makes it much easier to machine the metal. As per helping the actual stress in a barrel after its done may not be as helpful. It may help a factory barrel but for helping custom barrel in my experience it does not help as much as harmonic or heat stress relief. Its advantages only really help before the barrel has been rifled.