• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Cult classics... since there doesn't seem to be a thread... And we need some movies to watch!

Cult films is hard to define, but for me they must be somewhat obscure in that they are rarely shown in the media. Many of the films mentioned in this thread are big block busters that can be found readily on many TV stations. Admittedly, when I made up my list, many movies were big block busters. So I am going to amend my list by posting a couple of obscure films and would be curious to know if anyone has seen them.
SILENT MOVIES: (I watch everything with Closed Caption turned on anyways, as I, either cannot hear or understand some accents)
Wings, the first Academy Award Winner in 1928 (Gary Cooper had a bit part, but had a commanding one!)
Ben Hur with Francis X Bushman
Napoleon (cut down from the original eight hours by Francis Ford Coppola, THANK YOU! The actor who played Nappy had the most devastating eyes of any actor I have ever seen on film!)
FOREIGN FLICK:
Dae Jung Geum (Jewel in the Palace) S. Korea. I really don't believe there would be anyone here who would actually get past the first 50+ hour long episodes of what I consider the greatest film ever made. The production values are of the highest value. When this admittedly a soap opera was first shown in many different countries, work came to a standstill as the television viewing was well over 50% for every episode.
BACK TO MORE CONTEMPORARY:
A Gathering of Eagles with Rock Hudson and Rod Taylor. I am prejudiced about this Strategic Air Command AF movie as I was at Beale AFB when it was filmed and at the tail end of the flightline when eight B-52's took off one right after another, then fanned out after takeoff.

Now these are what I call CULT CLASSICS. Anyone here seen any of them???
Yeah, I don’t think the responders to this OP are adhering to the “cult” part of the equation. My thinking of cult films is a feature that kind of bombed or went unnoticed in the theater but gained a small but devoted following in the home market. But to answer your question, no I haven’t seen any of the movies on the list.
Again, don’t know if this adheres to the cult criteria but Big Trouble In Little China was a fun flick.

Boondock Saints is a good one, if you liked that check out War On Everyone. I had never heard of this movie and stumbled on it on Netflix.

Better off Dead was a favorite growing up, it’s probably one of those movies that depends on how old you were when you first saw it.

Last edited:
Reactions: MPrimo
The Mechanic (1972)
Deathwish (1974)

Fun fact, Florida’s Dept of Agriculture and Consumer Services director in the 2000’s was named Charles Bronson. My concealed weapons permits during that decade were issued by...Charles Bronson.
How bout Mr Majestic?

Idiocracy
Man on Fire w/Denzel Washington
Blazing Saddles
Monty Python and the Search for the Holy Grail
The "Dollars" trilogy
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Caddyshack

Reactions: Yasherka
Definitely, BigTrouble In Little China. Curt Russel was great, as were all the Chinese actors. All of them. I used to run around some of those parts of San Francisco, when my dad was stationed at Hamilton AFB. Those Chinese kids could kick ass.
The Thing: Both of them.
The Blob (original)
The Last Starfighter (My kids liked it so I enjoyed it too)
They Live.

If you liked The Outsiders try Rumble Fish and Tex. Over the Edge is Matt Dillon's first movie and worth a watch.

City of Lost Children. Ron Perlman but subtitled.

Pawn Shop Chronicles. More Matt Dillon and Brendan Frasier as a Elvis impersonator. Lots of violence but a comedy really.

Reactions: Charger442
2001: A Space Odyssey
Raiders of the Lost Arc
The Shawshank Redemption
Star Trek II, The Wrath of Khan
The Fifth Element
Secondhand Lions

2001: A Space Odyssey
Raiders of the Lost Arc
The Shawshank Redemption
Star Trek II, The Wrath of Khan
The Fifth Element
Secondhand Lions
The fifth element. Now that qualifies as a cult classic. Didn’t know it existed until it came on one Sunday afternoon. Now I own it.

Last edited:
Reactions: HillBilly n TX
Boondock Saints! Would love to see a third.
3 things...
1. Agreed boondock Saints was excellent. Really excellent.
2. After the abortion of a movie that was the sequel, your the only person I know clamoring for a third.
3. Ain’t gonna happen. Apparently the director is a real PIA.(which is why the sequel took so long to happen). And the second was a financial disaster. Pretty sure they aren’t going to give him any money.

Leeloo Dallas, Multipass. Such a good movie.
It is. And I can’t even tell you why. Except that either every character was either perfectly casted or they each made the role so entirely their own you’d think they wrote their own lines.
And why is she so damn cute when she says “multi pass”?

1951, 1982, 2011...What do you mean by both of them???

There are at least three and half:

Even John Carpenter thought it was better than the original.

• Haha
Reactions: Kir
A couple of Terence Hill westerns have been on TV lately, and I've begun re-watching some of my favorites. These are real cult westerns.
They Call Me Trinity
Trinity is Still My Name
My Name is Nobody
God Forgives...I Don't!
Aces High (sequal to "God Forgives...") Eli Wallach ( Of "The Good the Bad...the Ugly fame) does a fantastic job.

No one has mentioned it... but one of my favorite cult westerns is on mgm, I think with Several showings next few days.

The Missouri Breaks with Jack Nicholson and Marlon Brando. Amazingly psychotic pairing!

“I’m a sawed off sportsman!”

Great movie!

Sirhr

Some that haven't been listed yet and more that I can't remember right now

The Goonies
Heat
The Departed
L.A. Confidential
Blazing Saddles
The Burbs
Tombstone

Reactions: Buzzinga
1951, 1982, 2011...What do you mean by both of them???
1951, and 1982, were cult classics (not a box office smash, but quite popular with viewers) . 2011 was a precursor type movie, not canon, and also never achieved "culthood". The one with Kurt Russel, was very closely aligned witht he original story by John W. Campbell, "Who Goes There" . The first black and white movie featured James Arness in his first appearance in film. As the monster. Also featured a directing technique of having actors speak over each other.

A Gathering of Eagles... damn, that's drawing deep from the well.

Except for the original posting of Harold and Maude and the regularly offered Rocky Horror Picture Show I don't see many other true "cult" offerings, though Kir stumbled onto 4 or 5 in his list of movies. Most all the rest are regularly available on network TV for viewing. I bet less than 15% of the rest that've been offered qualify as true "cult" movies...

If "cult" means rarely broadcast, nor regularly mentioned (and maybe with a devoted following), then here's my list:

Short Eyes
Happy Accidents
A Million to Juan
Summertree
Johnny Got His Gun
Groundstar Conspiracy
Heroes (1977)
Steambath
The Air Up There

my marginal list (I don't know if they're broadcast or available for free on Prime, Roku, etc.):
KPAX
Double Take
Hopscotch
Hombre
Ulzana's Raid
The Naked Prey
The Yakuza
Who'll Stop the Rain

Last edited:
The Way of the Gun
There Will be Blood
In Bruges
Vanishing Point (the original, none of the remakes).
End of Watch
Gladiator
Winter's Bone

unrepentant: Now YOU are drawin' from deep in the well with your choice of...: The Naked Prey.

Deathstalker (1983)
Soldier (1998, middle movie of the Blade Runner trilogy)
Ambush (Road of Rukajarvi/Rukajarven tie)

At play in the fields of the Lord (Darryl Hannah exposes her magnificent titties)
Mosquito Coast
The Deer Hunter
Apocalypse Now
The Last of the Mohicans (Daniel Day Lewis)
The Three Musketeers (Raquel Welch)
The Mission (even though it has DeNiro in it)

For me
Highlander
Better Off Dead
The Great Escape
Star Wars, all but episode 1
Rambo 1,2,3
Predator
Total Recall, the new one
Bloodsport
Airplane
Idiocracy
Team America World Police
Dune
Conan The Barbarian
Basic
Seven

Another vote for Rocky Horror Picture Show. That is hands down my all-time favorite "cult" flick. We watch it fairly often, and always enjoy it.

I am also a big fan of Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I laugh just as hard every time I watch it. My wife just looks at me and shakes her head. (She doesn't quite get the British humor.) Love it!

Reactions: Familydude
Anything bt Mel Brooks .
The " Vacation " movies .
Guns of Navarrone .
Dirty Dozen .
Ghost Busters .
And I can't believe no one said Goonies .
Holiday Inn .
Full Metal Jacket .
Eldorado . ( John Wayne )

Reactions: Familydude
The missus and I love Harold and Maude and watch it on our anniversary every year.

Yes, I know. Bizarre. But, hey, it works!

So what are your favorite cult movies?

Harold and Maude
Office Space
Dude where's my Car
Liquid Sky
Spinal Tap
Blade Runner

Any other fans of the dark, twisted and cult?

Cheers,

Sirhr
Not necessarily cult, but: Jeremiah Johnson, Uncle Buck, Planes, Trains and Automobiles, Enter the Dragon, Kill Bill.

Heavy Metal, movie and soundtrack.

E569B25D-642D-4EDF-9929-5D34DEB1D985.jpeg

City of God
Pool Hall Junkies
Alien
Aliens
Predator 1 & 2
Dumb and Dumber

Ghost and the Darkness
Stalag 17
Memento
Starship Troopers
Galaxy Quest
Almost Famous
All three Back to The Futures

Only one guy said Donny Darko? Wtf!

The thing
Napoleon Dynamite

Slither
The 13th warrior
Stardust
Hitchhiker's guide
Short Circuit
Tommy Boy
Event horizon
Super troopers
Extract
Grandma's boy
in addition to those already named.

Last edited:
Not sure I'd call it a cult classic yet, but if you want a dark movie, I don't think you can get too much darker than A Serbian Film.

When was the last time anyone saw, "A Boy and His Dog" with Miami Vice's Don Johnson?

Kentucky Fried Movie is an absolute blast
Amazon Women on the Moon is VERY much like KFM. Arsenio Hall is fucking hilarious in his skit.
The Exorcist
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai
Romancing the Stone
War of the Roses